Creating a promotional/tutorial video

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

pike wrote:Btw, what resolutions you're working on sine? And how your uploaded videos (on YT&DM) look compared to original ones (same or worse)?
My system is crap. This is what I have to do to record video:

I use the S-video (interlaced) out of my laptop and run that to a tower for recording and editing. The tower is a 1Ghz Athlon from 2002 with barely any RAM, and my capture software is super basic (I can only go up to NTSC 720x480). I edit the material in a very old version on Vegas Video then render to AVI (640x480) using the Xvid codec.

Youtube's high-quality doesn't look terribly different than the original. But then again, I'm trying to match their specs.

I'm reluctant to dive into video heavily since I can't afford anything better than what I currently own. HD is completely out of reach. In fact, I don't most of my editing "blind" since I can't actually play back what I'm working on without pre-rendering. You wouldn't believe how archaic all my computer hardware is. Most of it I've had since the mid/late 90's.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Not that I'm any good at making videos, but assuming you get a framerate that's constantly over 25 FPS you can record with a client configured with -DFIXED_FRAMERATE=25 and then later play it back using a modified client that takes a screenshot every second (look in rSysdep.cpp) with --benchmark --playback. You can even turn all the fancy settings on for that playback since it doesn't need to be in real time :-)

Then just use a method of your choice to convert all those screenshots into a movie.
There's no place like ::1
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

That's what's so awesome about Arma: it runs well on ancient hardware. Maybe you can't turn everything up, maybe you can't empathize with those not satisfied with their already way high framerates, but you can play and have fun. :)

Back to the higher-end realm: Armagetrain HD was captured in realtime, uncompressed (well, the capture program does some basic lossless compression, but it's 99% worthless with this footage). But couldn't have been much higher res without risking small jerks caused by disks running at their limit. Definitely no full HD without some compression.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

2020, your videos are amazing. The whole thing of having the game recorded, our voices recorded (over skype) and the little video box of yourself is perfect to demonstrate to people how this works. Great job

Keep them coming!
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

hm, can we create a video tutorial on the wiki.

I guess documenting the best path for high resolution video recording might help to improve the overall look and feel of the videos ?

@wrtprnft: Can we compile an aarec to png sequence-converter ?
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

joda.bot wrote:@wrtprnft: Can we compile an aarec to png sequence-converter?
It should be quite easy to add a setting to take a screenshot every frame (and make it override the one in the recording, of course).
There's no place like ::1
radian
Core Dumper

Post by radian »

++ everyone ,my skype mentor programme will tye in with this nicley--there,s a post on it-if we could link it great
i just love it
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Be sure to check the self-referential link inside the link too. Good luck. :roll:

Regarding roulette, around the time I quit playing all the shitforbrain hot-shot kids that had taken over the game had bastardised roulette and turned it into a variation on "playing open" whereby they put in all their little hitches and shit trying to make it difficult for others and core dump them. It became competitive and for the purpose of self-aggradisement rather than cooperative for the purpose of fun.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I am making a second vid for our clan soon, you can use some scenes if you like :) (as you may have noticed, I removed the first one; i'll post a youtube link here when i have finished)
Word

Re: Creating a promotional/tutorial video

Post by Word »

I finished a clip and I hope you can see what it will look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4u8vo2m ... annel_page

the resolution i will use is 800x600

when I have finished the Pru clan vid, it will be 2 minutes long and I will add sounds and music.
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Is it just my imagination or the wall really ate the bike? :D
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'm fascinated by the stuff that turned up as related.
Word

Post by Word »

May I upload the whole vid in rar-parts? I will post my storyboard soon. Suggestions/requests welcome. But I can't render everything, so please keep it simple.
Word

Post by Word »

I am sorry if you don't understand anything :) : it is all about the cycle that drives through a landscape and meets all the things of the armagetron universe or their equivalents. I didn't really invest a lot of time in the storyboard...i finished modeling now and start anymating. I have enough material.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9717/dscf8544.png

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6205/dscf8543.png

resolution will be 1280x1024.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Seriously Word, wtf is this? You are one bizarre cat. You either need to stop doing acid or start; I can't tell which.
Attachments
why did he leave?
why did he leave?