php, and map cycling?

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
Blaze

php, and map cycling?

Post by Blaze »

I want to open a racing server, and I asked Animuson how to cycle maps and he said you need to configure your "php" but I have NO clue what php is or how to cycle maps...

Please help! :o
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

php is a programming language, especially popular for generating dynamic websites such as this. This map rotator also uses it:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... p_Rotation
so you need it installed on your system.

Alternatively to the external rotator, you can use a server from the 0.3 development series, they have map and config rotation built in.
Blaze

Hi

Post by Blaze »

So, Ive downloaded Lucifers map cycling program, but where exactly do I put it?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Looks to me the location doesn't matter. Have you tried reading the included README?

Oh, of course, Lucifer's script is in Python, not PHP. The CT scripts are PHP, I think.
Blaze

Post by Blaze »

All I now really want to know is how to cycle maps, I have no clue if that has ANYTHING to do with php or not...

Actually...I just reread Lucifers settings and it says "Not known to work in Windows" :(
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

That's not the same as “known not to work under windows”. It very likely will, it's just that noone tested it.
There's no place like ::1
Blaze

Post by Blaze »

So...theres a chance that, it could work...or...is there another one that someone knows of that would work 4 windows...?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I hven't looked at my map rotator in some time, so I don't remember if I did anything linux-specific in it or not. I may have. I'm willing to help you get it working, but you'll have to post error messages and tracebacks. :)

And wrtlprnft is right, "not known to work in windows" doesn't mean "doesn't work in windows". Just that nobody has tried it. I usually use what's considered best practices in the python world for cross-platform programming. So I've actually written python programs that I couldn't test in windows or mac os x that, when tested by somebody else, worked without modification. So give it a shot, eh? ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Blaze

Post by Blaze »

I opened scripts and added the map_file settings, do I now put it in the 'resource' folder in my Armagetron configuration?
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Z-Man wrote:The CT scripts are PHP, I think.
You think right for the most part. I'm trying some python stuff now though
smoothice
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: php, and map cycling?

Post by smoothice »

Blaze wrote:I want to open a racing server, and I asked Animuson how to cycle maps and he said you need to configure your "php" but I have NO clue what php is or how to cycle maps...

Please help! :o
If you get server version 0.3.1 or compile the latest trunk you can use the built in map/config rotation engine.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

kyle wrote:
Z-Man wrote:The CT scripts are PHP, I think.
You think right for the most part. I'm trying some python stuff now though
IIRC there was some perl stuff in the mean time, too. Too bad “ruby” doesn't start with a 'p', otherwise it would make a perfect addition.
There's no place like ::1