confused

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
animuson
On Lightcycle Grid

confused

Post by animuson »

im new to the server thing and I keep seeing all these bin cgi things that we're supposed to enter to get certain things to work.

im trying to set team colors/names on my server and the only thing I was able to find was a php script :/

what all should I have installed on my computer (other than the armagetron dedicated server) and how do I access it to run these commands? i dont like how all the tutorials seem to start off where you already know everything about the game and have everything installed on your computer

side-questions:
1) how to put color in the title of your server?
2) how to set which team gets a zone in the map files?
3) i was going to ask how to use the armahacktron stuff but I figure once i get my first question answered id be able to figure it out easily...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: confused

Post by Z-Man »

All the following is assuming your server is running Linux/BSD. No extra tools are required, I don't know where you dug out any tutorials that say PHP s required for anything.

Those commands can be entered in three ways:
1. By putting them into one of the configuration files. We recommend creating the new file /etc/armagetronad/settings_custom.cfg (which is included from a different configuration file) and putting all your stuff there. Do this for permanent settings.
2. On the server directly. If you're running the server from the command line or in a screen session (a nifty program that lets you run services in the background), you can use that; just enter the commands as the server is running. If you use the supplied /etc/init.d/armagetronad script, that does not work, however.
3. When playing/spectating on the server, you can use the admin console. You need to set an admin account/password in the configuration files for that (search the WIKI for ADMIN_PASS or Armathentication, depending on what version of the code you're using, ADMIN_PASS for all official versions up to 0.2.8.2.1)
animuson wrote:1) how to put color in the title of your server?
You don't. It's annoying and not officially supported. Search the WIKI for color codes if you want to do it anyway.
animuson wrote:2) how to set which team gets a zone in the map files?
You can't, at least not in vanilla Armagetronad. Every zone gets assigned to the team closest to it.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Colour code pros:
===============

In server names, if done sensibly, can look good and help to differentiate different servers from each other and also give a similar look to servers owned by the same people/clan.
In team chats they can help differentiate between attacking and defensive orders.
Certain other messages benefit from them too.

Colour code cons:
================

Often used in very pointlessly annoying ways. It is very hard to enforce good use of colour codes.
Playing since December 2006