My guitar

Anything About Anything...
Lucifer
Project Developer

My guitar

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I didn't look very hard, but I didn't find the thread where people were asking about my guitar.

Anyway, latest update on my website put a picture of my whole guitar on it, so if you guys were still curious about it, you can go check it out. It *is* a little hard to see, though. ;)

http://www.davefancella.com/

Oh yeah, you may not see it if you're using one of those inferior Microsoft browsers. On my personal site I don't waste time making it support browsers I don't have. ;)

(It's a rule that whenever you update your website, you have to go post a link to it *somewhere*, right?)
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

... thx i can't c it... :cry:

anyway, i was thinking about taking bass-guitar lessons, any of u guys have experience and prices on it?
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

for the lessons? I was paying about 15 dollars canadian per half hour.. I believe.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sabarai wrote:... thx i can't c it... :cry:

anyway, i was thinking about taking bass-guitar lessons, any of u guys have experience and prices on it?
Hmm, let's see. The problem with lessons is that you pay someone to teach you how to play, and then you spend the next 3-5 years playing exactly like them. You wind up spending more time unlearning what you learned than you would have spent teaching yourself from the get-go.

Lessons are like brakes, only sissies need 'em.
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

Lucifer wrote:
Sabarai wrote:... thx i can't c it... :cry:

Hmm, let's see. The problem with lessons is that you pay someone to teach you how to play, and then you spend the next 3-5 years playing exactly like them. You wind up spending more time unlearning what you learned than you would have spent teaching yourself from the get-go.

Lessons are like brakes, only sissies need 'em.
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Depends on the teaching method. Essentially the way I was taught had minimal theory. Essentially, I would bring in what I wanted to learn and the teacher would teach me concepts as they appeared in the songs I was learning.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

hmm... not the money i'm worried about, but just the question of shall i do it? and lessons r indeed just 4 getting to know the instrument
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

if you can't read music, lessons are imperative (if you want to learn to play off tabs)
otherwise, buy some books, download some videos
stakes is high
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

hmmm i might do that root, i can read music (had piano lessons for 4 years :P )
and u guys know what the price is of bass guitar and the box needed?
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

i don't know the price, but i know if you're starting, get a peavey, you can probably get a nice bass and amp deal
stakes is high
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

PEAVEY! Are you nuts? Peavy is only good at amps, their basses suck.

I would go with a squire P Bass, Its a good learning instrument and you can get combo starter packs for it for around 400 dollars canadian so probly 300 350 american, or whatever your currency equivalent is. Unless you have small hands, because the P bass has a wide neck that causes some people with small hands to devellop bad habits, but I doubt you do so it should be ok.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

root down wrote:if you can't read music, lessons are imperative (if you want to learn to play off tabs)
Name one, just one, rock bassist that can read music.

Can't do it, can you?

Play by ear is the way to go if you're targeting any music that's not symphonic. :)

(yeah, I know, there are a few rockers here and there that can read music, myself included, but we're the exception, not the rule, all the "Great Rock Players" learned by listening to their dad's record collection)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

RUDEBOY! wrote:PEAVEY! Are you nuts? Peavy is only good at amps, their basses suck.

I would go with a squire P Bass, Its a good learning instrument and you can get combo starter packs for it for around 400 dollars canadian so probly 300 350 american, or whatever your currency equivalent is. Unless you have small hands, because the P bass has a wide neck that causes some people with small hands to devellop bad habits, but I doubt you do so it should be ok.
I don't know that it's all that important which one you pick. More important, go down to the store, plug in each bass that's in your price range to each amp that's in your price range. When you can make a sound with a bass and amp combo you like, go with that. Keep it cheap, and later on when you realize you know enough to make a better decision you won't feel guilty about putting too much money into your starter setup.

Mind you, I started with a Stratocastor (guitar here) and now I've got a guitar that ran half the price of the strat, brand new. I like what I've got now better than what I started with. What I started with was purchased on reputation, what I've got now was hand-picked by me. You'll be happier hand-picking than buying on reputation/recommendation.
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

Lucifer wrote:
root down wrote:if you can't read music, lessons are imperative (if you want to learn to play off tabs)
Name one, just one, rock bassist that can read music.

Can't do it, can you?

Play by ear is the way to go if you're targeting any music that's not symphonic. :)

(yeah, I know, there are a few rockers here and there that can read music, myself included, but we're the exception, not the rule, all the "Great Rock Players" learned by listening to their dad's record collection)

I can read music....
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

RUDEBOY! wrote: I can read music....
Well then it's a good thing I was asking root and not you, eh? 8)

Here's an idea, Sab. Go pick out the bass you want, then hit up this neat website called olga, which you can find by clicking on this link that says that OLGA is the coolest archive of guitar and bass tablature in the whole wide fukkin' world.

Pick out a few tabs to songs you like and work on them. After you learn one or two, you'll know if you want to give a lesson a try or if you want to keep beating on it. Only thing you'll have spent by the then is the money on the bass. Play it right and you might be able to back entirely and take the bass back. Heh. But at least you can give self-teaching a shot without spending anything extra over what you'd have spent on lessons, since you need the bass for the lessons anyway.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

i guess ur right lucifer...
but a fair deal would be Bass + Amp for 400 CND?? so like 275 Euro's?
i'll go look in a shop then, i'll look for both guitars mentioned: p square and Peavey... and i'll listen 2 both and then make out which one i choose :)

it would be handy to know how 2 read music, so u can play songs u've never heard...