Highly experimental windows builds

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Highly experimental windows builds

Post by wrtlprnft »

Since compiling arma on windows isn't as straightforward as it is on other operating systems and 0.3.0 is quite old, with the 0.2.8.3 alphas having cool new features that 0.3.0 doesn't have and the trunk having undergone some development since 0.3.0, too, I decided to bite the bullet and try to compile arma for windows myself, and I was actually successful :-)

Anyways, I'm going to put the builds I come up with onto aabeta for windows people to test. The number in the build name is the SVN revision ID (the version armagetronad itself reports is broken). To see what a specific revision changed you can use sourceforge's viewc thingy, just enter the revision number you care about there, and of course, between r7930 and r7949 there's r7310 to t7948, too, so you'd have to look at those as well to see all changes (all changes that affect the build have a filename that starts with “armagetronad/trunk/”).

One final word of warning: These builds are highly experimental and have known regressions since 0.2.8. What I'm doing here is in no way official, so these files aren't even alphas. We'd love to hear constructive criticism, but don't say we didn't warn you!
Last edited by wrtlprnft on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no place like ::1
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

I tried it and i'm pleased a lot :D that's nice wd wrtl.
2 things I noticed:
-You can see eplosions on minimap, but it was too big and deconcentrated me at def (on a ctwf map).
-When you write, your text gets out of the screen and you don't see anymore what you're typing :s

that's it a t m

nice work
K-Yo
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

FPS seems to have improved on the newest revision, havent really had a chance to test the ping out yet, but so far looks better than the previous CVS build...

And I like the new cockpit, nice work :)
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Post by ZURD101 »

wow dude this is a really great idea if you get all the stuff worked out
i like the first exe file :)
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

K-Yo wrote:I tried it and i'm pleased a lot :D that's nice wd wrtl.
Thanks!
2 things I noticed:
-You can see eplosions on minimap, but it was too big and deconcentrated me at def (on a ctwf map).
That's something I just did because it was so easy to do… It probably needs a way to be disable.
-When you write, your text gets out of the screen and you don't see anymore what you're typing :s
got a screenshot of that? It doesn't happen on linux and i have no clue why it would happen on windows…

Rico: thanks :-) Feel free to make an even better cockpit, now that we have textures.
ZURD101 wrote:wow dude this is a really great idea if you get all the stuff worked out
i like the first exe file
did you try the second? If so, why do you like the first one more? Note that later revisions are usually supposed to be better, r7930 has a bug that makes you unable to see your own walls in incam mode.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

There's a new build, r7955, that fixes both bugs K-Yo reported, one of which was related to color codes in chat (Only idiots write in color all the time!)
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

I played with r7949 today and it happened once that a player's wall was invisible. Otherwise, really good job, I like the new cockpit very much.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

LukeSky wrote:I played with r7949 today and it happened once that a player's wall was invisible.
That's my accomplishment :)
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

r7959 is a new build that contains z-man's fix for the invisible wall thing.
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

fps is slightly better than before but theres still problems -

in cafe with 10 people my fps jumps from 20 to 45, its usually 50 at the lowest, going up to 140
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ricochet wrote:usually
Compared to what? 0.2.8? 0.3.0? What's your hardware? (We don't keep databases of this stuff :) )

Also, to get the performance benefit, you need to go to the performance tweaks and enable display list usage. So far, it only has been activated by default on NVidia systems.
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

oh right...

0.3 version, windows xp

intel pentium dual core 2.8ghz
2gb ddr 667 mhz
geforce 7600gt (vsync disabled)

on the old 0.3 beta i could get over 400 fps in a local game and 50-150 in Fortress with 10 people, now its 150-300 in local and 30-60 in 10-man Fort...
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Luke-Jr made me put my builds onto aabeta, so there they are..

The latest build adds arbitrary start/end angles to needle gauges and fixes a bug where the cockpit textures were flipped (thanks your_mom!).
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Ricochet wrote:geforce 7600gt (vsync disabled)

Code: Select all

ARMAGETRON_VSYNC 0
?
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

and its disabled in my nvidia control panel