Playing maps

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
On Lightcycle Grid

Playing maps

Post by 007 »

When you have downloaded a map from a server, you can play it.Go to Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Armagetron\automatic\ then browze the maps.After that type map_file and the map name and you will play that map.

For example map_file [artist]/[type]/[mapname] :P
Last edited by 007 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

I think nobody said it as plainly and simply as you just did. There is little else to add and it will save us a bundle of questions.

Tank: Could you make this topic sticky?

/ph 7.0

PS: Keep this thread to a bare minimum to increase its usefulness.
Canis meus id comedit.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

id only shows the path for windows 2000 - XP. nothing about linux ~/.armagetronad/resource
or mac
- i donno it
or vista
c:\Users\[username]\Application Data\Roaming\Armagetron\automatic\ -i believe that is correct
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Macintosh HD » Users » [Username] » Library » Application Support » Armagetron Advanced » resource » automatic
QUARG
Round Winner

Post by QUARG »

BUT... what happens when a person has had a map failiure and cant log into that server running that map. i have had this issue a few times while testing my maps with friends. they try to login and get a map failiure then when the problem is fixed i can login to the server and so can evveryone else but the person who got the error.
what is to do abou this? i tried having them delete the map from this location and still the same issue.
help greatly apreciated.
On Lightcycle Grid

About map failures

Post by 007 »

This never happens when someone uses map editor.If you make maps on hand it is too posible.And too hard to fix.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

If you make changes to a map that has at some point been online it is always a good idea to bump the map up a version. ie. if you have a map called:

Code: Select all

map-0.0.1.aamap.xml 
and you make changes, you bump it up to version:

map-0.0.2.aamap.xml.
And don't forget to alter the resource tag within the map

version="0.0.2"
That will force the client to use the new map instead of hanging onto the old , possibly broken, version.

Not quite sure what 007 is on about. Whether maps are made by hand or using a map editor, this is still true.
On Lightcycle Grid

map version

Post by 007 »

I think that it doesn't mind very much when you put the map in a server.People do not look at the version number.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: map version

Post by epsy »

007 wrote:People do not look at the version number.
The client will.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by 007 »

epsy wrote:
"The client will."

The client does not matter the version that the map has ;the client just want to play.Not many clients know about maps.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

007 wrote:The client does not matter the version that the map has ;the client just want to play.Not many clients know about maps.
007, in this case, "the client" refers to the application, not the player. When a client connects to a server, even a "non-map" one, the server sends a message to the client telling "we are now using the map X version Y". Either the client has it, or has to download it. Having a different version of the same map will not be of use. So in a way, the client REALLY matter the version of the map used, but this occurs transparently from the user. If you do not beleive me, try hanging around the Crazy Tronners Wild Fortress server once a month and observe how much get downloaded.

So when a map designer updates a map, he has to change the version number. This ensure the propagation of the changes.

This mecanism is used by all of the clients that are version 0.2.8 and up. Even the "default" map is treated this way. Try erasing it from your disk, and connecting to a 0.2.8 server (such as a regular fortress one). You will see the map reappear in the "automatic" directories (look at the sub-directories)

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by 007 »

Ok.But yedterday I saw a map with version number 9.9.9.It means that is has edited 999 times?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

All it should mean is that no other map with the same author, category, and name has, had, or will have that version, not that all versions consisting of three dot-separated digits exist.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

007 wrote:Ok.But yedterday I saw a map with version number 9.9.9.It means that is has edited 999 times?
Your forum name is 007, does it mean it is your seventh account on the forum? And that you are planning to make more than a hundred?

There are no hard rules for the version numbering system. One generally accepted is <version>.<major>.<minor> where
-version is used to indicate fundamental changes (ie: totally new features in the software world)
-major is used to indicate important changes (ie: improvements of current features, or addition of some new features but on areas that already existed in the software world)
-minor is used to indicate corrective changes (ie: minor bug fix, small ameliorations, etc)

Also, there is no limit of 10 anywhere. 12.6.31 is a very valid version number. The only information to be deduced is the one at hand. The desinger might have carelessly stepped though the <version>, laying big chunck of functionality without stopping to make minor adjustement on the way, waiting to the 12:th step to start polishing his work.

Finally, nothing forces you to use a 3 component version number. I'm quite sure in the wiki I used some examples with only one value for the version.

The only requirement is that the value of a newer version be different than any previous version, as exact match are made, and posting a modified file under an older version will cause issue as client and servers that already have the older version will keep using it while the ones.

I hope this is of help

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.