Better forum searching

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Better forum searching

Post by Hoax »

I've thought about this for a while now but basically this is a request to improve/upgrade the search feature here. At the moment you can search for keywords or author. However what I've found most helpfull on other forums is the ability to search the topic titles only.

The database is huge and when searching, alomost everything comes up.
I think this would save alot of time and also help new players out as they could find what they are looking for instead of just creating new topics.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

That would require people to actually name their topics properly. Noobs, you might notice, rarely do this. If they can't name their question, how would they know what name to search for?

AKA: I don't know how to do this, and it could be a lot of work to do it, so I'll offer a cheesy excuse to avoid doing it.
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Have you tried using 'AND'?
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Heh I guess, well doesn't seem worth the effort, which is a good enough excuse in my book :wink:

And yes 'and' 'or' etc help, still theres always the wiki, credit to those who update it.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

HoAX wrote:And yes 'and' 'or' etc help, still theres always the wiki, credit to those who update it.
It doesn't receive a whole lot of legitimate edits lately. At least we (mostly I and wrtl, although it seems we have nothing to do since Tank arranged some anti-spam stuff a few days ago) keep it clean of spam.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

We could just try to quit inserting phrases like "doublebinding", "make your cycle go faster", "rubber", "fortress", and so forth into every single thread.

Failing that, how about just doing a google site search instead? Isn't there a phpbb2 mod that replaces the typical search function with a google site search?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Lucifer wrote:Isn't there a phpbb2 mod that replaces the typical search function with a google site search?
Argh, please don't! Add an extra search box, fine, but don't replace the normal search feature! It's far more useful than google IMHO.
There's no place like ::1
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

wrtlprnft wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Isn't there a phpbb2 mod that replaces the typical search function with a google site search?
Argh, please don't! Add an extra search box, fine, but don't replace the normal search feature! It's far more useful than google IMHO.
Agreed.