RSS feed?

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Lucifer
Project Developer

RSS feed?

Post by Lucifer »

Does this forum support RSS feeds? Can it give/take them? If so, I'd like to do an RSS feed exchange. :) (Not that my forums get much traffic, anyway, but I would like to grab these forums as an RSS feed)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

There might be a RSS mod for phpBB, who knows...

*post 2000*
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

2000? now u r in the year we r living in, but if u reply u won't be anymore :P
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Too late... gone to the future...
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

What's an RSS feed ?
Matrox
Core Dumper

Post by Matrox »

subby wrote:What's an RSS feed ?
Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is a XML format designed for sharing headlines and other Web content. Think of it as a distributable "What's New" for your site. Rss can be used for everything from world news to changes on your website.

Im not 100% sure thaty it works this way but i think that you create an rss format for everyting that you want to watch for changes then when the changes happen this is recorded and dispalyed to your community.
:D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

That makes an rss feed *from* a phpbb. I couldn't find one that fed an rss feed into a phpbb. Decompyler had this brilliant idea of making rss feeds for server stats. That would be pretty cool.

Speaking of server stats, hey ish, are you able to release your sig generator? Did you already? I'd love to take a look at it.... ;)
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I don't remember if I released it. I'm swamped at the moment though. I'll put it on my todo list.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

You don't need an RSS feed to stick in stats. I'm pretty sure there are other ways.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Tank Program wrote:You don't need an RSS feed to stick in stats. I'm pretty sure there are other ways.
Ask and you shall receive. At least, when I get a chance to work on it again. I've got to get back to a website I'm building, and I'm now in the grip of registering for school and stuff.

Anyway, the advantage to using rss (which will be built whether you want it or not :P ) is that it's a standard format that anybody can syndicate. So hqqns could run it on his parrot website, and Kyle could stick it on his Mambo-powered site, and so forth.

Also, one of the things I'm interested in adding is "network" support. Right now what it does can be considered "Breakfast network", but I'd like to make it work with any arbitrary number of networks (this being one of the things I noticed missing form the GLL, and whenever I release the code you guys can certainly take it and use it, of course). So all the goshdarn clones could gather under one "network" and share a ladder while keeping their own ladders. We could even do a Breakfast in Armagoshdarn server that would be on both the Breakfast page and the Goshdarn page. You see where I'm heading with this? I'm still a ways off from there, and it is a Mambo component and I don't intend it to ever not be, so you'd have to pull the code out yourself to use it. Not that you need it, as you pointed out. :) Anyway, are any of you goshdarn or other server admins interested in jumping into it? (it's on my website for testing, but my website doesn't have to be its final resting place)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I dunno. I'm sort of in the middle of redoing my website, so...