Remote administration?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Remote administration?

Post by Lucifer »

I hear a rumor that it's possible to administer a server remotely in 2.7. Is this true? If so, how do you do it?
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I'm not running 2.7 on my server, but there are basically some extra commands. You enter a password so you can issue a kick command etc.

Taken from http://guru3.sytes.net/armagetronad

Here are the additional commands that have been added to Armagetron Advanced, which we forgot to put in the configs... This will be rectified on the next release...
WIN_ZONE_DEATHS 1 -> Turns the instant win zone into a death zone if enabled.
ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE_1 -> Line one of a message displayed between every round.
ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE_2 -> Line two of a message displayed between every round.
ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE_3 -> Line three of a message displayed between every round.
ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE_4 -> Line four of a message displayed between every round.
ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE_5 -> Line five of a message displayed between every round.
ROUND_CENTER_MESSAGE -> Big text message between every round.
ADMIN_PASS -> In game admin password.

In game admin information:
How in game admin works is in your chat line you type "password command parameters". Minus, the " of course. Here are the commands then:
say <something to say>
Does what you think it does
cm <something to say>
Center Message
com <something to say>
Console Message
ul
User List with IDs,
ku <ID>
Kick User with following ID
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, i don't like it. Typo the password and now everybody knows what you were doing and has a chance to guess the password. Easily remedied, unless you happen to be away from the machine and unable to fix it right away.

I've worked up a python wrapper that connects to AA's STDIN/STDOUT pipes, the only problem is that when I connect to AA's stdin, AA blocks when it polls the pipe. Anybody know why that is? I'm thinking it might be fixed by moving AA's stdin polling to a separate thread, that way it doesn't block the whole process, just the thread, which is fine behavior.

Anyway, if that little caveat can be resolved, I'm much more in favor of using a wrapper around the dedicated binary to handle remote administration than building it into the program itself.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

good point about the typo possibility.

If it works in spectator mode, then you're safer.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'm well aware of the typo factor, but in 6 months, I've had one typo, so it's not that bad. As for using an external program, already tried that...