AFL Times

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Good times?

Yea
50%
Nay
50%

Total votes: 6

KamP
Round Winner

AFL Times

Post by KamP »

I just wanted to get some feedback on the times, hopefully from people that will actually be playing in the Armagetron Fortress League.

What I was looking to do was create timeslots during the day that would be used to schedule games, came up with these, that generally work for the european end and the american end of the spectrum (except people on the west coast, but i was thinking in terms of NYC, which is the time we chose to represent the US and Canada)

Timeslot A: 4PM UTC, Noon NYC
Timeslot B: 6PM UTC, 2PM NYC
Timeslot C: 8PM UTC, 4PM NYC
Timeslot D: 10PM UTC, 6PM NYC

Timeslot A already looks to me like it'd be the least used, Timeslot B looks good for american teams centralized on the east coast, and C and D look good all around, will probably be used the most.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

I think giving the option would be good, but tbh slot A seems a bit pointless to me as people would still be at work both in europe and the usa.

Anyway, I'm not running the league, so its not my decision ;)
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

Ricochet wrote:I think giving the option would be good, but tbh slot A seems a bit pointless to me as people would still be at work both in europe and the usa.

Anyway, I'm not running the league, so its not my decision ;)
There's no option, really, we're still setting the times. And Timeslot A would probably be a just in case scheduling option, in case for some reason a team needs to play multiple games in a row, or the servers are too crowded at some point.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

First, I get screwed over in every Ladle since we've yet to get to play in an American server.

Next, I get screwed over in the Kings of the Grid contest by the matches being preliminarily set to be Thursday's at noon for me.

And now, I get screwed over in the only Fortress Tournament that seems will be played in both European Servers as well as American Servers by having it being (at the latest) 3pm PST.

Well, I guess life's not fair is it? (life is referring to tron in that case :P)

Will weekends not work?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, hm. Durka brings up a good point, and I can think of several other west coast players that are going to have this same problem, now that he mentions it.

Can we extend it out to like 12 timeslots (which covers the whole day) and ask teams to just give a preference for time slots? Then we can consider that preference while making the schedule.

Edit: Also, teams would have to specify Tuesday or Sunday (Wednesday or Sunday for european players, we just think Tuesday because we're americans). Just keep in mind that we don't want to conflict with the ladle or TST, which already have 2 sundays of the month taken up, and even saturday scheduling might have conflicts with them. ("OH man, it's my only weekend this month and I've got to play AFL on saturday for 3 hours, Ladle on Sunday for 3 hours, and then again on Tuesday! Damn!")

Durka has also unwittingly shown the hole in something I was thinking earlier, which was that games would be scheduled on the home team's server on account of ping, but to favor the visiting team if there's a conflict. (Not hand the visitors the game, mind you, just that it would be less inconvenient for the visitors to show up at that time) As Durka shows, that would mean most of the games he could show up for would be when his team's the visitor and thus has the disadvantage for ping. So I say we should resolve scheduling conflicts to favor the home team as well.
Last edited by Lucifer on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

Trying to make this happen during the week seems a little pointless. I mean for a North American team to play a european team one team would have to not go to school/work or stay up super late or get up super early just to play, the weekends would work out way better. And I know when it comes down to it the North Americans are going to have to go out of our ways just to be able to show up.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

DDMJ wrote:First, I get screwed over in every Ladle since we've yet to get to play in an American server.

Next, I get screwed over in the Kings of the Grid contest by the matches being preliminarily set to be Thursday's at noon for me.
Except that we have played in an American server at least once in the Ladle (WPN vs AW-A, third ladle, first round). But yes, I think it would show alot of goodwill if we played (semi)finals in an American Server next ladle. I've heard other european players to be fine with this also.

And we are going to use flexible times for KotG.

I guess that's enough talking about other competitions ;)
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Lackadaisical wrote:Except that we have played in an American server at least once in the Ladle (WPN vs AW-A, third ladle, first round).
Ahh, yes that's correct, but it was AW-B actually. The pings looked fine from the video and all. Why not play in there again? That was Ladle 3, this is Ladle 10...7 months later :P.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=15EQdC9UB8M