Excellent Timing Ability

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Excellent Timing Ability

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Hey there my favourite community! :D

Read this but I doubt you will believe it!
http://forums.vertrex.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=689
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Excellent Timing Ability

Post by Z-Man »

That message is from the detection code for turn timing assist bots. Essentially, it gets triggered if you manage tight outside corner grinds too often in a row. Now that you mention it and racing, the detection may be borked for high axis counts. I'll review it.
And if my suspicions are wrong: congratulations :)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I miss Hamar and Six.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Z-Man wrote:That message is from the detection code for turn timing assist bots. Essentially, it gets triggered if you manage tight outside corner grinds too often in a row. Now that you mention it and racing, the detection may be borked for high axis counts. I'll review it.
And if my suspicions are wrong: congratulations :)
Well I was racing in a 8 axis and was touching the walls sometimes when racing but never considered my timing.

If so, thanks. I appreciate it! :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Was borked, unborked now. But it was only borked by a factor of sqrt(2) for eight axes, so still not something everyone can accomplish.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Z-Man wrote:Was borked, unborked now. But it was only borked by a factor of sqrt(2) for eight axes, so still not something everyone can accomplish.
Oh wow, that's a surprise. I've added it to our +ap's code now too. Haha, that's interesting :)
dukevin
Round Winner

Post by dukevin »

Just curious but does analyzing the moves of every player take enough CPU power where disabling the feature by console would be better? From looking at the logs, it's mostly false positives which seem pretty frequent in loose dogfight.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It recycles the sensor data from the acceleration calculations. Not much CPU at all.
And now that you mention DF, I'll check whether rubber assisted outside grinds are properly handled.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Z-Man wrote:rubber assisted outside grinds
What's that?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Fancy term for following the maze between two walls to make it sound more awesome :) The game notices after a turn that you are close to the outside of the inner wall, the signature of an outside corner grind. What it may or may not take into account is that you only got this close to it because you were using up your rubber on the outside wall.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Ah, thought so. I call that tunneling, at least when done consecutively.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah. People who know QM use that word for the bug where you pass through walls unharmed, what regular people call phasing for some reason. You are all weird.

Anyway! The system already takes rubber assists into account, but there was a small loophole that I now fixed: whether a past turn is considered an outside corner grind is determined by a flag that was set by regular turns. It wasn't cleared on rubber assists, though, so it was possible to make a regular turn, then a rubber assisted turn and have that last turn count as a legit outside corner grind. Not any more, the flag is now also cleared.

I may have forgotten to push the changeset, though.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:Yeah. People who know QM use that word for the bug where you pass through walls unharmed, what regular people call phasing for some reason. You are all weird.
QM is weird. And that's the first time I have ever heard of a natural, real world feature called a bug. Who designed this universe? They need to release a new version.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

You mean when there is a corner and for an instant you see your bike stop because you're facing the corner and will not make your turn.... and the instant after finally the game decided you may continue with a super hard grind?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

sinewav wrote:QM is weird. And that's the first time I have ever heard of a natural, real world feature called a bug. Who designed this universe? They need to release a new version.
Z-Man is God. It says so right here. It's no surprise, considering the universe and the game possess similar quirks. Silly atheist. :)
takburger wrote:You mean when there is a corner and for an instant you see your bike stop because you're facing the corner and will not make your turn.... and the instant after finally the game decided you may continue with a super hard grind?
Regular rubber will do.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn