can't download armagetron advance !!!

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Lost

can't download armagetron advance !!!

Post by Lost »

I can't download armagetron for my new laptop ( Toshiba c660 ) , when I download the new version or old version it launches up and closes again straight away!.

Pleasee help

P.S I use Windows 7 ( .exe )
nux
Round Winner

Re: can't download armagetron advance !!!

Post by nux »

I dont understand, you say you cant download it, but then say "when i download it". Can you be more specific? Which version are you installing? Which download link are you using?
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Lost

Post by Lost »

nux wrote:I dont understand, you say you cant download it, but then say "when i download it". Can you be more specific? Which version are you installing? Which download link are you using?

1) I download from http://armagetronad.org/downloads.php

(2) I download the Windows Exe - Client)

3) Once I open it up , it opens but then closes. ( My whole screen goes black for 2 seconds, go goes away showing Armagetron closed again ).

4) I installed 0.2.8.3.2 which Im aware it is old, so I then Download the latest one Armagetron Experimental version 0.4. ( Don't know the actual version.

Will this help? It's everything I can say
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

When the game closes. Is it still in your taskbar? cuz if it is then all u have to do is click on it and press "f"
("f" is default for fullscreen), sometimes when i go to windowed mode, it seems like the game closes but it's still there in my taskbar

I use the same computer and os as u so maybe it's the same problem.
Attachments
taskbar.PNG
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Lost wrote:
nux wrote:I dont understand, you say you cant download it, but then say "when i download it". Can you be more specific? Which version are you installing? Which download link are you using?

3) Once I open it up , it opens but then closes. ( My whole screen goes black for 2 seconds, go goes away showing Armagetron closed again ).

4) I installed 0.2.8.3.2 which Im aware it is old, so I then Download the latest one Armagetron Experimental version 0.4. ( Don't know the actual version.

0.2.8.3.2 is the newest version of ArmagetronAd. 0.4 is as it clearly states: experimental.

You may have antivirus that doesn't like tron (quite possible) and is instantly closing it for your protection. I ran into that problem once. Also, your Windows Firewall might be blocking ArmagetronAd (after running successfully once it should prompt you to unblock, though).

Also, try as Convict stated and get the game out of the default fullscreen. That might be causing a problem as well.

As a last resort, the game may be crashing just because it's starting in fullscreen. If that's the case, you could turn fullscreen off another way. Assuming your tron ran long enough to create it's user.cfg file, it would be possible to go edit it and put "fullscreen" to "0".
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Lost

Post by Lost »

ConVicT wrote:When the game closes. Is it still in your taskbar? cuz if it is then all u have to do is click on it and press "f"
("f" is default for fullscreen), sometimes when i go to windowed mode, it seems like the game closes but it's still there in my taskbar

I use the same computer and os as u so maybe it's the same problem.

No, it force closes so it doesn't appear in taskbar.
Lost

Post by Lost »

Ratchet wrote:
Lost wrote:

0.2.8.3.2 is the newest version of ArmagetronAd. 0.4 is as it clearly states: experimental.

You may have antivirus that doesn't like tron (quite possible) and is instantly closing it for your protection. I ran into that problem once. Also, your Windows Firewall might be blocking ArmagetronAd (after running successfully once it should prompt you to unblock, though).

Also, try as Convict stated and get the game out of the default fullscreen. That might be causing a problem as well.

As a last resort, the game may be crashing just because it's starting in fullscreen. If that's the case, you could turn fullscreen off another way. Assuming your tron ran long enough to create it's user.cfg file, it would be possible to go edit it and put "fullscreen" to "0".

It may be the antivirus since i have a pretty secure firewall, but it would promt when i go to "internet", how ever I havn't got enough time to get there.

For the last resort, I can make the screen smaller by pressing "F". But now it just opened and closes after a split second.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Have you tried right clicking on on the game and open it with "Run as administrator"?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

You should really uninstall the game, and then go to "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming" and delete the "Armagetron" folder (make sure you have "show hidden folders selected, otherwise u won't see the appdata folder)
because, since u installed an old version of the game, then u will still have the old files in that folder.

Now install the newer version and it should be like a first time installation.
This will eliminate the possibility of it being because of an old version.
Lost

Post by Lost »

ConVicT wrote:Have you tried right clicking on on the game and open it with "Run as administrator"?

That was the second thing i did, same problem occurs
Lost

Post by Lost »

ConVicT wrote:You should really uninstall the game, and then go to "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming" and delete the "Armagetron" folder (make sure you have "show hidden folders selected, otherwise u won't see the appdata folder)
because, since u installed an old version of the game, then u will still have the old files in that folder.

Now install the newer version and it should be like a first time installation.
This will eliminate the possibility of it being because of an old version.

C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming still the same problem :(
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

You may have run into the same problem I ran into with my Toshiba, but I'm not sure it's really a problem with the computer, or the graphics card. For some odd reason every month or so my game would just freeze upon opening and eventually come up with some error after like 10 attempts of running it, but I'm not sure if this is the same problem. The only thing I can suggest doing that may help is system restoring your computer to before you installed tron, and try again. Not sure if it'll help any though.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye