Random Cycle Colour changer!

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Code hunter
Average Program

Random Cycle Colour changer!

Post by Code hunter »

Hello fellow tronners, This download will change the cycle colour each round without you having to touch any settings or keys!

To obtain this download please click the link below and follow the steps.

http://highway2hell.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=90
-=King Crab=-
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by -=King Crab=- »

will other players see that my bike changes colors?
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

They'll see that your cycle has a different colour every round.

Besides, this download is technically illegal. You can't just modify the executable and then say that the download is the property of your clan. The GPL requires you to publish the source code of the changed executable.

I'm not going to sue you or anything, but I think that statement on the linked page is quite arrogant. Besides, requiring somebody to link to a page with 3MiB worth of images on it to download a 2.2MiB file sort of sucks.
There's no place like ::1
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The Evil License Violators wrote: This download is copyright © 2007 Highway 2 Hell clan. Anyone caught sharing this download without permission will be banned for 30 days. You MUST tell people to come to the h2h site to download this. we log the ip's of everyone that downloads, and if you were not on the site to download this, we will know
Sue me. While you're at it, please comply with the GPL and credit the proper authors accordingly, and provide me with the source code for the executable I have attached to this post.

So, since you have completely violated the terms of the GPL by claiming copyright over the entire executable, 99.9999999999999999% of which is code you did *not* write and the files you edited had a clear and concise copyright notice, you forfeit your GPL license and standard copyright law for your area applies.
Attachments
armagetronad.zip
This is the evil stolen executable.
(889.18 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, please comply to the GPL and give out the source and correct the copyright statement.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

btw, i'm pretty sure the code that changes the cycle and tail color comes from here...so you're pretty arrogant with your copyright, also infringing the GPL
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

I think it's more likely Jonathan's hack with a couple of colors added (which is not copyright-protected in most countries as it's really trivial).

By the way, as it's a windows executable it will most likely not work on linux, unless you use WINE.
There's no place like ::1
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

In that thread he seems to refer to the code he mentioned in the first post.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

Lucifer wrote:
The Evil License Violators wrote: This download is copyright © 2007 Highway 2 Hell clan. Anyone caught sharing this download without permission will be banned for 30 days. You MUST tell people to come to the h2h site to download this. we log the ip's of everyone that downloads, and if you were not on the site to download this, we will know
Sue me. While you're at it, please comply with the GPL and credit the proper authors accordingly, and provide me with the source code for the executable I have attached to this post.

So, since you have completely violated the terms of the GPL by claiming copyright over the entire executable, 99.9999999999999999% of which is code you did *not* write and the files you edited had a clear and concise copyright notice, you forfeit your GPL license and standard copyright law for your area applies.
damn, i gues we scared him into not responding.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Is it unreasonable to defend the rights he ignored in the first place?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

wrtlprnft wrote:By the way, as it's a windows executable it will most likely not work on linux, unless you use WINE.
and using wine is pointless i tried it back when i was a linux n00b drooped the FPS way down.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I thought I'd quote the parts of the license that apply. Here's a link to the full text (also, we are GPLv2 or later, so you can elect to use v3 if you want, but I'm linking to v2):

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

On general distribution:
General Public License wrote: You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.
On distributing your modified copy:
General Public License wrote: You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
On distributing your modified copy in binary form only:
General Public License wrote: 3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
On whether or not code hunter and his compadres accept the GPL (and therefore the extent to which they have to consider it):
General Public License wrote: 5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.
It is already an infringement of copyright to incorrectly claim that you own the copyright to an entire work to which someone else already owns the copyright. This fact is such a fundamental part of copyright law that you can expect it to be true in any country which has a copyright law.

I checked out the server involved, and it's located in the US, or at least owned by a company registered to do business in the US, which means US copyright law comes into play, or so American courts have decided. For those wondering exactly what our options our, this means the evil DMCA is one of them, as far as I understand it, and comes in in such a way that it actually looks like a nice law (even though we know the blood-sucking corporations abuse it).

This is just a fancy legalese way of saying what the GPL's preamble says in a pretty straightforward fashion:
Preamble to the General Public License wrote: When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights. These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
Edit: emphasis mine (added as part of the edit)

- Iron Maiden
Code hunter
Average Program

Post by Code hunter »

lol wow, you guys take it seriously down here. It was just for fun, not many people care about copyrights XD.

Anyway, i took it off :P
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

If we didn't care, then why are there copyright notices all over the place with references to the included license? (even without there can be automatic copyright) If you don't care, then why did you claim it?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

YOu still haven't provided the source code to the binary I downloaded.

- Iron Maiden