Making a map/server -HELP

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Cyberfalcon

Making a map/server -HELP

Post by Cyberfalcon »

OK so my frens and I wan to make a clan server! But we are noobs to the 2374863784637826487632784637826478678 power and don't know any thing about servers. We tried downloading The Dedicated server packeges but have know clue what they are and how to use them. One of my frens learned how to use some of it and i sent him armabell since i found out that can help you make maps. (i am a mac user so i cant use armabell).

So will any one just post a way from top to bottom on the basics of map/servermakng ? for win/mac??? i already tried Wiki, WAY too confusing and unfinished. PLZ will som1 post??!

P.S. Ill give a cookie to the best poster! :P
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

If we define noob = 0.5, noob ^ 2374863784637826487632784637826478678 ≈ 0. :)

I have posted a rudimentary Mac serving guide not too long ago. Also see the first few posts on the next page to avoid mistakes. That should hopefully help you start a server.

I'm afraid the information on the wiki can't be simplified much. Maybe looking at maps using the resource browser helps getting you started with maps. Something else that might work is taking the standard square map and modifying one thing at a time.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'm on a strict no-cookie diet so I'm not going for best post :) Have you looked at our documentation on map making on the WIKI? If not, do so :) I yes, ask questions about the bits you did not understand. I personally favor the "map making by hand" method, but I haven't made too many maps myself.

For the server question, also, where were your problems? There is lots to read on settings and stuff on the WIKI, but of course, that's of little use if you can't get the server to run. For the mac or win question, you should pick the one you can better leave on around the clock. I'd use the one that consumes less electrical power, but that's me.

Yeah, I've read that you had a look at the WIKI, but you don't say on what, so I gave the two deep links in case you couldn't find them :) Please point out specific problems where you did not understand things so we can give answers that are actually useful AND improve the WIKI.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, the wiki doesn't mention the level of technical skill you need to make a map.

Now, theoretically a person with a minimal knowledge of xml/html and a very basic understanding of cartesian coordinates can make a map. Really, all there is for maps is walls, zones, and spawn points. That's really all there is to it.

Try reading the cockpit tutorial too. It actually has an introduction to xml and an overview on it. I don't know if the map tutorial has that stuff or not, it's been a loooong time since I read it (the only time I've read it was when I moved the post to the wiki).

Anyway, the best strategy here is exactly what Jonathan suggests. Take the square map and edit it. I recommend hand-crafted maps as well. You can't get good symmetry with any of the available graphical options, afaik. I suppose you can with inkscape, but I don't know about armabell. If you hand-craft your map, that means first you draw it on graph paper. Then you lay coordinates on the paper, scaling it to approximately 500x500. Then translate it to xml according to the wiki.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Cyberfalcon

WOW RELIABLE HELP!

Post by Cyberfalcon »

Wow guys u r the BEST!!! I've never had such quick responses to my posts!
Sry i didnt specify the probs that i had. I'll spend a lot of time searching through the links you gave me (TY TY). and come back to the forums if i need help THX ALOT! :D :mrgreen:

One thing though......
Im starting to notice certian commands make certain settings. For the map you are trying to make. I would like to know where can i find a list of commands? It would be SOOOOO great if there is a list!

Since SOMEONE is on a cookie diet (I won't point out any names) i'll give the best poster a.......um.......... a IcEcReAm cAkE! 8)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

/|\{!MNK¡} GHUG
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by /|\{!MNK¡} GHUG »

I was in a position like you recently and the first link you gott was REALLY helpful.

P.S.:ill give you thanks if you will make your server a clone of shrunland.
The answer to life the universe and everyithing is not 42, its 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

/|\{!MNK¡} GHUG wrote:I was in a position like you recently and the first link you gott was REALLY helpful.

P.S.:ill give you thanks if you will make your server a clone of shrunland.
I did that one but i no longer have the files for it maybe my friend still does
Cyberfalcon

Ok STILL NEED HELP

Post by Cyberfalcon »

Ok so how do i set valueS? i keep getting the same results
"command not found" how can i "program"? :cry:
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You need to enter those commands while the server is running. The effect will be reverted then when the server is restarted; to make the changes permanent, you need to put them in a configuration file. Look for the file settings.cfg; create a new TEXT file (important: TextEdit, by default, saves new files in RTF mode, you have to switch to plain text) named autoexec.cfg or settings_custom.cfg and add the commands there.

You can't currently "program" AA without hacking at the source. There's experimental Mac builds online at beta.armagetronad.net that should have rudimentary scripting support, but it's not yet in a state where you can do a lot of useful things with it, and worse, it's not documented in any way.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

z-man wrote:Look for the file settings.cfg; create a new TEXT file (important: TextEdit, by default, saves new files in RTF mode, you have to switch to plain text) named autoexec.cfg or settings_custom.cfg and add the commands there.
Also make sure .txt is not appended to the file name.

The RTF default of TextEdit is actually a default default; the default can be set in the prefs.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Cyberfalcon

um....

Post by Cyberfalcon »

How do i do that??
like talk to the server to get it running??

sry if im nagging at u guys :(
/|\{!MNK¡} GHUG
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by /|\{!MNK¡} GHUG »

Again, see Jonathan's original link, he told me how to do the stuff for mac.
The answer to life the universe and everyithing is not 42, its 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288
Cyberfalcon

I DID IT!

Post by Cyberfalcon »

WOOT! I FINALLY made a server! :!: :!:

One thing though (again).........

Even though i changed the some settings i still cant make the kind of server that i want. The basic idea of a server would be like Immortal Dynasty Server, but with dif settings like higher rubber and speed, optional teams, and a long list you probably dont wanna see

can som1 write a standard high rubber server like the LC server and the ID server?

P.S. Where can I get free server hosting?!?! i dont want my comp on all day lol. :D
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

To set speed to ~32.7:

Code: Select all

CYCLE_SPEED 1e+30
To get ~27.3 rubber:

Code: Select all

CYCLE_RUBBER -1e+30
For some reason we have to use weird expressions like that to set config items.

Writing a server to do configuration? :?

Running a server costs money. Someone will have to pay.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn