new default textures and model for the release

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
edd
Core Dumper

final entry with game version 0208 added

Post by edd »

Game version added to the splash screen.
Attachments
screen1
screen1
screen2
screen2
edd
Core Dumper

screen grab of my maps and cycle model

Post by edd »

I have updated the model of the light cycle. It has a little more detail and a smaller file size. It is now 550 polygons and has shadows mapped on to it.

edd
Attachments
screen grab
screen grab
cycle.zip
cycle model
(49.26 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
modified map
modified map
bike.png (7.1 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

edd, is that for the Textures cycle, or the Moviepack cycle? Looks like the latter, and I think all this is for the Textures folder. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@osc: edd's cycle and it's texture can only be used in the moviepack folder (at the moment) ... I'm going to make a conversion of the cycle to mod files... though I guess there are some hardcoded color informations for the default cycle. (Ingame the cycle has a window, but I can't see any specification of the window in the .mod files.)

edd's cycle can't be used without using the moviepack folder - the texture is only for edd's cycle. Might work for the other cycle too, not sure.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

A couple of things. :)

All of you who have combinations you really like should consider wrapping them up in moviepacks and releasing them. Moviepacks are pretty easy to put together, you know. :)

We should consider either distributing the classic moviepack I made or the runner up combination here as a bundled moviepack with the game. And setting the Use Moviepack to default to 0 instead. If we use the classic moviepack for it, then we can direct people to use it if they don't like the new standard look. If we use the runner up combination, then we get to provide 2 default looks with the game that are new and fresh.

Regardless of that last one, I think we should take the runner up splash screen as the cvs splashscreen and do this again for a splashscreen when it's time to release Bacchus, even if we want to keep the standard look from artemis. That means modifying the runner up splash screen to say "Bacchus" instead with a version "CVS HEAD" or something like that. If the runner up has an Artemis statue in it, then that should be replaced with a Bacchus statue, obviously. Then we'll take the runner up from the Bacchus splashscreen contest into cvs head for Cerveza (or whtever C is, I forget, although I wouldn't mind renaming it to Cerveza, the God of Drunken Debauchery, anyway).

Also regardless of that last one, when we have multiple moviepack support of any sort in cvs head, we should go ahead and add the classic moviepack to it, so that starting at least in Bacchus, people can go all the way back to classic look when they want, if they really prefer it. That also means that should we do this all over again for Bacchus, we can also bundle Artemis's stuff with Bacchus so people who like that better can go back to it.

A lot of the votes seem to be based around a blue color scheme. That's not bad, I like the blue color scheme a lot. But I wanted to prod y'all to consider other colors just because I thought the blue came from Fonkay's wall, and if Fonkay's wall doesn't get picked (or another blue wall or whatever), there's no requirement to stick with blue, unless y'all just plain like blue better. I mention this because I've noticed that the color scheme significantly affects how the cycles ad their walls look. Just change the floor color nd you'll see. Run the default look from one of the betas and fool with the floor color and see how much it affects cycle walls and stuff.

Edit: Joda and silly: We can change the default model to an ase model if there's a desire, it's just a few lines of code. We'll lose the animation of the default model, though, so it's not a free change. I wouldn't let the silly model limitation get in the way of picking a good model, just keep in mind we lose animation in the deal, unless we go ahead and add animation support to moviepack models *and* ed or whoever gives up new models to animate their model.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

moved my original post to another thread ;)

@lucifer:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 1571#41571

well, I think we should stick to the old cycle for now, and improve model/texture support later.
edd
Core Dumper

sorry people off topic!!

Post by edd »

Oscilloscope

Yeah you are right, I was trying to send this via a mail, but it would'nt upload for some reason so I put it here ( sorry, i get carried away).

I would be interested in making an animated model for future releases though.

Edd
CoffeeTeeCat
On Lightcycle Grid

rim texture and title

Post by CoffeeTeeCat »

i tried to make one.
the title screen was made with screenshot i took using nullunit's rim wall, modified sky's default color.
rim wall texture i made using GIMP, 3 lines on dark blue wall based on my own moviepack. i used the upper line from null's. yeah i like nullunit's colors/moviepack a lot.
maybe i need to put lower line on this texture for low rim.
i redused the file size of rim texture less than 2KB, still bit ugly when we use it filtering bilinear/trilinear. (and need more darken upper edge?)
i'm gonna add lower line, optimize colors fit to either 16bit or 32bit mode.

*EDIT
*added lower boarder for displaying low rim.
*fixed color, a little purplish dark blue. balanced lines
*removed upper boarder and added orange line for better displaying without sky texture.
*fixed colors more accurate in 16bit color mode.
*lines, a little bit fatten vertically and horizontally. just 1 or 2 pixel lines.
*flatten image, fixed colors.
*i messed up by fix it for bilinear/trilinear.
*i edited this post 17 times in total. eh i think it's done.
*oops, finally. i forgot to fix the lower boarder to fit with rim_wall_stretch_y 40.
*darken color of lower boarder more suitable with this wall color.
*redused some noise.
*i think this picture that i posted the last one is too dark to see in the game. it should be more brighter. i'll make it.
*ok it's done for this post. i'll update it for my moviepack/ texture pack.
*have fun, see you somewhere.

*floor textures in the screenshot were replasced with grayscale textures. (based on the texture Lucifer posted...i think. i posted floor.png below.)
floor color: R=0.1 G=0.3 B=0.45 for this rim texture.
Attachments
Rim Wall Texture: Duel - OPEN
Rim Wall Texture: Duel - OPEN
rim_wall.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
sample screenshot: R=0.1 G=0.3 B=0.45/ RIM_WALL_STRETCH_Y 50/ RIM_WALL_STRETCH_X 200/ GRID_SIZE 16/ SIZE_FACTOR -2/
sample screenshot: R=0.1 G=0.3 B=0.45/ RIM_WALL_STRETCH_Y 50/ RIM_WALL_STRETCH_X 200/ GRID_SIZE 16/ SIZE_FACTOR -2/
Title Splash Screen: Enter The Zone
Title Splash Screen: Enter The Zone
Last edited by CoffeeTeeCat on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

OK. See, I actually prefer the moviepack kind of model because it looks like the real Tron cycle, not a a dune buggy with differently sized wheels. The animation is unimportant to me. In fact, I just stuck in my Tron DVD and saw that the only discernable animation is of a slight flicker of that white reflection line in the "hubcap." The wheels themselves looked static.

Hey edd, I might call upon you sometime to make a model I have in mind for my Big Moviepack set I've been working on, if you're interested. I'll get back to you. :)
edd
Core Dumper

Cycle Models

Post by edd »

Oscilloscope

I am always interested in making models of the light cycle. I have several versions of varying detail. Just let me know when and where you want them.

(some of them are on my site www.a1eddie.com)

edd
edd
Core Dumper

floor tile

Post by edd »

here is the floor tile i use

edd
Attachments
floor
floor
CoffeeTeeCat
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by CoffeeTeeCat »

i post other things.
sky texture: just modified default sky texture. ajusted hue for my favor.
it shows up on my title picture that i posted before.
floor texture: same shape of edd uses one. R/G/B = 79/79/79 grayscale.
cycle wall: mine. you can see other players' direction which way they are going to, they were coming from.
anyway you cannot see the details if you get too fast. sometimes useful , just it.
it's more visible for people who set their bike's color to darken color. more visible on darken floor.
for people who cannot see dark colored bikes on the darken floor.

P.S. i like edd's polygon lightcycle model, cool. please give me one that redused polygons, really LIGHT cycle. less details of tire's shade or something, LIGHT but LIGHTCYCLE.
Attachments
cycle tail texture: currently i use
cycle tail texture: currently i use
dir_wall.png (273 Bytes) Viewed 4218 times
floor texture: R/G/B=79/79/79 grayscale w/upper and left boarder.
floor texture: R/G/B=79/79/79 grayscale w/upper and left boarder.
floor.png (490 Bytes) Viewed 4290 times
sky texture - modified
sky texture - modified
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

Re: new default textures and model for the release

Post by 17na »

I just hope in the the next version someone can get around to support for bloom effects