new default textures and model for the release

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

nice idea löcotus... might still need a little refining and the next version wil not be 2.8, but 0.2.8.0
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I'm going to add some color to this one. I traced the light cycle in Illustrator. It was refrenced from Ed's light cycle images that are being used as the icons.
Attachments
Version 1
Version 1
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I like nemos idea altho its a little bright so i'ld prefer the colors inverted.

Should we start posting other textures besides the title?
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

Hey there's a member named ~*SP*~Ace that does some excellent graphics. Look at my sig...He did that..He is amazing...He probably can't do stuff right now though seeing he is making sigs for SP members.. 8) :)
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

My entries for the default model textures:

cycle_body.png:

cycle_wheel.png:

dir_wall.png (from the original movie pack):

Screenshots:

Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Fighting tonka toys. I like it, K. :) I could do that, along with either one of Fonkay's revision of Mom's splash screen, Walking Tree's variation of it, or whatever Locutus had going (if he finished it). I'd be willing to bet Locutus's, finished, would rule them all, he does some really nice stuff. Didn't he do the splash screen we're running right now?

Time's a-wasting. z-man started the RC thread. I say we make a decision in the rc thread, give a week for new submissions, then pick from what's available, and consider the existing artwork to also be "available". Then wrap up whatever we decide in the first RC.

Although it certainly looks to me like there's enough artwork already submitted for us to change it out and have it look good. :) Someone take the old stuff and wrap it up in a moviepack, ok? ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hey, I forgot about this. I like all versions fine, Philippe decides what we take.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

About the time schedule: I'd like to do the RC this weekend and let it be tested at least for two weeks before it is transformed into a final release. Exchanging graphics is certainly an allowed operation even after the RC, so there are at least two weeks left for entries and judgment. Rim wall, anyone? I'm sick of my scanned Borg cube model :)
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Come on troops!

I need your best effort in the coming hours (~96 of them)!

Its time to post that model you had in your mind for a long time, to wow us with your texturing talent, or to simply grab from the various moviepack and textures that have been offered in and outside of the forum.

Find something that will interest other people to come to the game, find something that you will enjoy knowing sits on every install of the coming version.

So be creative, be inventive, give us something that everybody will be proud of.

I guess the absolute last moment to give us your entries will have to be saturday at noon GMT. This will allow everybody a last friday night blits of photoshop, even those on american's west coast. But I dont think z-man will be able to wait much more than that to start building the rc.

-ph

Edit: to give twist to your-mom comment, the front tile is displayed only for a short time. Give us something to fill our eyes during the long hours we play the game!
Canis meus id comedit.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

This is your Wednesday pep talk!

We need YOU!

We need to go and make up a new set of media files (texture, models, sounds) to be included in the release.

Out of ideas? The code name of the release is Arthemis, so why not get inspired of the Moon maiden, the divine huntress and protector of the wilderness and make us wilderness oriented moviepack? You could go classical and give us the inside of a greek temple, row of pillars with statues for the walls, floor of marble, and why not a trail of greek key patterns ?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

Feel more traditional and want to keep around the light-cycle idea? No problem with that too!

Just get your feet moving, you mind spinning, and brew us some nice media files. The dead line is saturday the 14 of January, noon GMT. Dont miss it!

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Uhh, I won't complain if there is good stuff for the RC, but really, art can't break stuff* as hard as code can. It's fine to change it between RC and release. Final deadline should be Friday, 27th. If everything goes well, the release should be the weekend after that.

* Allright, a black rim wall texture can break a lot.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I'd kinda like to see the new artwork in the RC. Maybe we grab the best of what's already been put up, put it in the RC, and tell people if they want something better, the final deadline is <whateveryousaid>? Add to the splash screen some text "Submissions for artwork requested, or you're stuck with this, which wouldn't be a bad thing."

I don't know, I just do what I'm told. Really! :roll:

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Outside Corner Grinder

purist

Post by 2020 »

is it my eyes?
but are the cycles the wrong way round?

when i downloaded a version for a friend
for windows
all the bikes had larger back wheels
kind of like real life dragsters

for what its worth
i like the original design
with a huge turbine front wheel
and as close to laser-thin line for a back wheel

looking forward for the release version late jan
:)
hold the line
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I'd like to see a textures lightcycle model that looks more like the moviepack model, myself.

I have some decent (and basic) stuff I've been working on, but I'm going to reserve it for a big huge moviepack/textures set I'm gonna release sometime in the future, whenever I get back around to working on it. (Besides procrastination and having other things to do, it's also delayed by my propensity for having the damnedest time settling on things.)

That said, here's a very Tronish pic with which someone(s) with Photoshop (et al) skills might want to do something, for rim walls. Um, I stole this from the Tron Sector, but they stole it from the movie, so.... Of course, it could just act as inspiration for someone, rather than using this image specifically. So, there's my semi-submission.
Attachments
TronBackdrop.png
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

I second on both ideas that
a) the dead line I first mentionned is for the RC, ie: Saturday the 14 at noon GMT
b) the release deadline, ie the true media files to be used for the release will be selected Saturday the 21 at noon GMT (unless someone sees a better or more appropriated date)

2020: Why dont you post a link to the model of your liking. If you look around on the forum, you will find big list of those. There are also many other sites having moviepack and models. Just tell us which one you want to see included in the release.

Ossi: no comment at the moment, I'm on links (text based browser) so I cant see the picture.

Everybody:
Let go folk! I want to see this discussion drowned in post. Make quick sketches on napkins, post links to models or moviepack you would like to see included, harass someone who has produced a moviepack in the past to help you (or do for you, if your very good at harassing) bring alive that model, that texture that you know would be perfect for the release.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.