torpedo

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Outside Corner Grinder

torpedo

Post by 2020 »

a player should get a point or two if team wins after sacrificing self
no?
hold the line
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I don't think it would be a sacrifice then :)

Plus, it's kind of hard to detect whether it was a good sacrifice or just a dump suicide. Someone passing through the hole you made could be an indication.

I actually rather would remove the individual scores completely. They are sort of meaningless in a team game. They only get meaningful if you add individual scores for assisted kills, zone conquests (but you know what THAT would lead to, right? Everyone storming the zone again.) and passive defense (not killing an opponent, but pushing him off). Very hard to balance.
Outside Corner Grinder

you are right

Post by 2020 »

the whole notion of selfsacrfice is not to benefit self
but to benefit the team

on the whole
i like your balancing act
the game seems well calibrated

question:
is there a ladder of scores
for teamplay?
if so
where?
hold the line
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, individual points are useful to an extent. It's always fun when the other team comments that two people on their team, combined, have over 50 points, but they still lost. That generally indicates good teamwork on the part of the team that won, in addition to the fact that winning generally indictes better teamwork than the team that lost.

But they are useful in gauging performance by some people, and giving players points directly for taking the fortress would disguise some things. Near as I can tell, the point spread for individual players should be pretty even. So if the goalie has a large number of points, maybe he's just a badass, more likely it means the other players are letting too many people through, and their lower scores should reflect that.

But someone who plays a defensive role but isn't the goalie should have a higher personal score from kills, even if he mostly just pushes away the invading players, just because he'll be considered enemy influence for a lot of deaths.

I'm sure we can come up with other useful measurements, but I think we should consider a pretty solid overhaul of how scoring is handled already, which I tend to think is part of rethinking how the ladder is handled. We'll probaby keep most, if not all, of what's there already, but I'm interested in coming up with other ways for a player to score besides killing. ANd for him to get personal points for it. :) Let the server admin balance the scoring. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Outside Corner Grinder

does anyone read these subject titles?

Post by 2020 »

i take it there is no ladder then?

i agree
it is up to the server manager admin god

my humble suggestion may be something which i have experienced well
where individuals
get team-play points
that is
when they are part of a team that plays well
they get an equal fraction of that team's score
which means
you can play in different teams all the time

i am just interested in encouraging teamplay
and having a scoring mechanism which reflects this
can only serve the greater good
hold the line
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@z-man: any plans on making it a permant server ?

Guess I know some ppl who might host it *g*
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, no plans like that. I guess it'll stay online for a while, but be transformed to test whatever new features we add during the 0.3 period. There's a couple of good alternatives out there already, the lobster server and Lucifer's fortress have sane rubber settings, too.