Tron 3

Anything About Anything...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Tron 3

Post by Phytotron »

Legacy didn't happen as far as I'm concerned. Like the Star Wars prequels and the Star Trek: Lens Flare editions, or the Crystal Skulls or post-Reeve Supermens (or IV). Didn't happen. None of them. Nope, can't make me. Nanananana.
Lucifer wrote:You want to capitalize on a new-player-bump? Get people to use good manners in the servers, and stop arguing about stupid shit on the forums. Focus on development and playing the game. That's what got people to stay before, that's what got them to stay after that, that's what got YOU to stay, that's what works.

You know, actually being inclusive is surprisingly successful at, well, including people.
It began with the trolls, it ended with the gatekeepers.

Or something.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

You want to capitalize on a new-player-bump? Get people to use good manners in the servers, and stop arguing about stupid shit on the forums. Focus on development and playing the game. That's what got people to stay before, that's what got them to stay after that, that's what got YOU to stay, that's what works.
The same thing that makes people argue about "stupid shit" is the same thing that causes people to use poor manners with each other.
You may call it stupid shit because it may be a controversial topic and/or difficult to deal with, but the two problems are not unrelated.

What got me to stay:
I actually left...completely. Then I only came back because of Tron Legacy (I remembered how awesome this game was and missed it).
The manners people use in game, on forums, wherever; that does not have an affect on my choice to stay.
What works for some may not work for everyone.

Overall, new players will be here.
You don't have to put pressure on yourself to do anything.
People are just pointing out all the reasons that made new players leave without coming back, and seeing what we can do to fix that.
If nothing is done, then the same things that make people leave will take out a huge chunk of that population boom.
Doing something now can reduce the number of users that will quit without coming back (e.g. better tutorials).
It doesn't have to be a deadline or anything to put pressure on you, but everyone who's here now can work towards a change that will welcome the new users.

IDK if you realize, but people have made youtube videos of armagetron...video game reviews. And what did they have to say?
The game isn't worth playing because of all the hackers (people double binding)...it's a case of ignorance that can be fixed with some simple changes (example: some actual documentation easily accessible for them to learn all this stuff*).
For example, there is no explanation anywhere on how to use colored text in tron...that's something that's just figured out or taught by other users.
Armagetron is full of secrets like that; things people have to discover for themselves and that is overall too much work expected from a game (something meant to be fun, not work).

So yes, I think it would be good to capitalize on the new-player-bump.
No, I don't think anyone should feel pressured to do something about it.
But, if we as a community do something now, we can be prepared for it (to welcome the new users - the last thing they want is to be called nabs, and voted out of servers).

*I have some plans that I hope to get partly done by the time new players come in...idk when that is tho ("spring 2015" might be sooner than I would have liked).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Durf wrote:(people double binding)
Oh, right. Once we have SDL2.0 and a reasonable way to set up actually sensible default key bindings with doublebinding that work for every keyboard layout, I'll do that and make a tutorial.
Or, simpler, create two turn twice keybinds. Because if you want to cater to ten second attention span kids (not meant to insult them, but what we have to face is that free games have very little time to captivate the players), good luck explaining to them why it works how it works or why they have to do such silly things.
Or make sure that the experience filter in the master browser first guides you to servers that have cycle_delays where you do not need double binding. Hey, we already do that. (It'll be refined again before release, right now, it practically only lists sumo servers.)
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

I hope SDL2 will like the intel linux drivers by then... or even better, I should get a nvidia card for that computer... (not anytime soon)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

What's the specific problem with that? Considering SDL2 probably just talks to OpenGL, I'd bet the root of the problem is in the Indel driver, but we may be able to circumvent it by, say, explicitly requesting legacy OpenGL interfaces.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Z-Man wrote:What's the specific problem with that? Considering SDL2 probably just talks to OpenGL, I'd bet the root of the problem is in the Intel driver, but we may be able to circumvent it by, say, explicitly requesting legacy OpenGL interfaces.
although it may be neverball's fault too... (the game that switched to sdl2)
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

aP|Nelg wrote:I hope SDL2 will like the intel linux drivers by then... or even better, I should get a nvidia card for that computer... (not anytime soon)
I play with the SDL2 branch on Linux with an intel card for quite a while and don't have any problems.