New Gametype Idea

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Zero V2
On Lightcycle Grid

New Gametype Idea

Post by Zero V2 »

I was playing in a shooting server, and I made a shot so big that I could drive within it. I thought of an idea from this.

Why don't we have a game of tag? It could use the Sty engine, and whoever is "it" has a deathzone around them, which follows them. When the person who's "it" touches another person, they become "it" and have to pass it to someone else within a time limit, or they're eliminated. Then, another person is selected at random to be "it" next.

Or, it could be included in the CTF or Fortress Shooting servers as a battering shield, depending on how much you charge it affects how long it lasts and radius the shield expands to. Or, you could have it perminant, so that if you touch someone's shield, they perish as well; making it so you have to core dump to score points and have to avoid other players.

Shields would make a great number of different gametypes.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Your first idea is basically the same as hold the flag, which is already implemented…
There's no place like ::1
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

wrtlprnft wrote:Your first idea is basically the same as hold the flag, which is already implemented…
With hold the flag, aren't people chasing you, where as with Tag, you'd be chasing them. (It sounds like a cool idea to me.)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Just give negative points for holding the flag :)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Maybe positive points for loosing the flag. I think negative points for holding it is a bit harsh. You'd definitely need to have a suicide score so people can't escape easily. I wonder how being the last person alive would work then too. Re-spawning could be good here.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I started working on something, but I can't figure out what interactions are going on that causes seemingly random transfers of who's it. Anyone care to look?

(Standard disclaimer that this is highly untested...)

Edit: Note: for some reason when I was testing with SetVelocity uncommented in Timestep (as it is) the zone flies ahead and disappears. This is funny because it didn't do that before and I don't remember changing anything...
Last edited by Tank Program on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

About the SetVelocity problem, isn't it just related to the client side simulation ?
The same effect appears on CTF if you set the flag blinking off when it is hold by a player. As the client didn't "know" about the flag, it just use the basic zone simulation and the flag goes straight away instead of following the player's cycle until next server sync.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

We found the problem, tank forgot to call gZone::Timestep() in his overloaded version, therefore lastTime didn't get updated and every position update was treated as if the game time was still 0.
Basically the zone was moving at twice the player's speed as a result.
There's no place like ::1
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I've got a server running called "Tag Test" implementing the game mode. It may be a bit laggy but do give it a shot. From testing things out a bit, it seems hard for people to shake the habit of going after whoever. You really don't want to go after the guy with the zone over him. The longer he has it the better it is for you.

The server also allows authentication to the forums.
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

it is nice, a good idea, but i think it encourages camping
END OF LINE
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

played against some bots and it's quite good.

but wouldn't it be better to have it the other way around? so being "it" wins you points?

that way it's lots of people chasing after one person, rather than lots of people running away from one person.

just a thought.
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Dr. Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Wiggum: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Prof. Frink: No.
Rev. Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

Infamous wrote:but wouldn't it be better to have it the other way around? so being "it" wins you points?

that way it's lots of people chasing after one person, rather than lots of people running away from one person.
Tank Program wrote:
wrtlprnft wrote:Your first idea is basically the same as hold the flag, which is already implemented…
With hold the flag, aren't people chasing you, where as with Tag, you'd be chasing them.
K-Yo
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

i know i did read it.

but after playing it, i reckon it would be better that way round.

dont worry Kyo, they ignore me anyway ;)
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Dr. Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Prof. Frink: No.
Rev. Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

IRC wrote:19:38 #armagetron: < K-Yo> #later tell guru3 I tried ur tag test server, it's nice, but suiciding gives you more points than keeping "it"... i suicided everytime :P
Anyone have any ideas for better scoring? I still think the major problem is people have to get over the mentality of chasing the man with the zone, and simultaneously, the man with the zone needs to get over trying to hold on to it. (This is a case of I'm not sure if re-spawning is really helping.)
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

maybe another map than the standard square?
Some kind of map where it would be harder to run from someone, like a maze (low walls) or other not very wide maps.
K-Yo