My new YouTube channel

Anything About Anything...
Lucifer
Project Developer

My new YouTube channel

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I finally did it. I started a real channel. :) Here's the first video where I talk about lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSwUwwM5ZZQ

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: My new YouTube channel

Post by sinewav »

It's a good start! I don't really have anything to add because it's pretty clear you have a good idea of what you want to do with this format. The only issue I had was with the audio, there is some noise similar to wind brushing against the microphone throughout the video, perhaps from a fan or something? Anyway, you can probably put a high-pass filter on the audio around 100Hz and it should make it less noticeable in the future.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

That's probably my ceiling fan. I'll look into this "high pass filter" thing. :) I'll also make sure to listen to it in headphones or something, because I didn't hear any anomalies at all when I was editing.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

There's a second video.

https://youtu.be/d34neAHEUeM?si=hpsyJh28heiwO6iL

It's about post-scarcity.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:05 am It's a good start!
I can only second that. I like the scribbling of the title on the whiteboard, that is a nice touch. The second video is already some improvement, it is more to the point, more in focus.

I am required by law to have one nit to pick, so here it is: You should be more deliberate about what is in the frame. I am specifically thinking of that blanket, I'd put that somewhere else. One of my favorite shows started as just a dude on a couch, basically, with worse video quality, so no problem there.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:57 pm
sinewav wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:05 am It's a good start!
I can only second that. I like the scribbling of the title on the whiteboard, that is a nice touch. The second video is already some improvement, it is more to the point, more in focus.
I'm still considering writing scripts, but I've seen a lot of successful channels work extemporaneously. The second video had a better outline. :)
I am required by law to have one nit to pick, so here it is: You should be more deliberate about what is in the frame. I am specifically thinking of that blanket, I'd put that somewhere else. One of my favorite shows started as just a dude on a couch, basically, with worse video quality, so no problem there.
I think I need an easel for the whiteboard. That's why the blanket is there, to hold up the whiteboard. My next video, which I'm going to start working on in a few minutes, is going to have a lot more video content that's not me and a lot less of just me.

And yeah, every time I obsess over the flaws in the videos, I have to remind myself that there are a lot of videos that I watch and enjoy that have just as many, if not more.

Thank you guys for the support! I'm sure you both know how difficult it can be to put yourself on camera in the first place, let alone finish a video and post it, cringing the whole time.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

How about this one?

https://youtu.be/8fFE7w2tsDs

I'm particularly concerned about whether or not the audio filtering that sinewav suggested is actually there.
Last edited by Z-Man on Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing the link to point to be accessible

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:38 am I'm still considering writing scripts
You don't have to. While it tends to make the content better, it also significantly changes the feel of videos. The editing you were already doing, plus the text correction/addition overlays you did in the Stargate video, are a perfectly fine way to polish things up. And with time and practice, you'll find you will have to rely on editing much less, you will be able to use longer and longer pieces.
Lucifer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:38 amThank you guys for the support! I'm sure you both know how difficult it can be to put yourself on camera in the first place, let alone finish a video and post it, cringing the whole time.
Yeah, that difficulty is one of the reasons I'm not doing any video content with myself in it on the tubes.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Heh I often think that 8 times out of 10 these youtube and tiktok people are the wrong people to put themselves in front of a camera. Obviously there's freedom of speech etc., but I'm pretty sure you guys have actually something to say. Any politics thread on these forums is more interesting than 99% of all youtube content. You might get some nasty/threatening comments at some point (well, when you talk about racism at all that's gonna happen sooner or later), but that shouldn't distract you too much, those angry viewers are consuming your product, too.

As far as ideas go, Lucifer, perhaps you can make some episodes with a sci-fi friend you regularly drink a beer with, that you disagree with on some topics, and both take a few days to prepare your thoughts and what you throw at each other? Personally I often find these formats more enjoyable than just one guy talking or a single voice-over when I watch youtube videos. It's why most late show hosts have a sidekick I guess. Which is not to say that you're not entertaining enough on your own, I like the stuff you put out so far!

Somewhat related to the subject of racism in sci-fi movies, I remember a few lectures I had about "films loosely based on historical events" (I forgot what the exact title was, but this was the subject) that deal with antiquity, with "300" (the Egyptians are the bad guys) and either Exodus or Kingdom of Heaven or both by Ridley Scott. These movies are basically history-fiction where the villains are mostly non-white brutes and the heroes are whites.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Word wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:12 am Heh I often think that 8 times out of 10 these youtube and tiktok people are the wrong people to put themselves in front of a camera. Obviously there's freedom of speech etc., but I'm pretty sure you guys have actually something to say. Any politics thread on these forums is more interesting than 99% of all youtube content. You might get some nasty/threatening comments at some point (well, when you talk about racism at all that's gonna happen sooner or later), but that shouldn't distract you too much, those angry viewers are consuming your product, too.
Well, I'm planning on tackling topics in sci-fi that will ruffle people's feathers. That's the whole point of the genre. :)

I agree that there are a lot of people on youtube who shouldn't be on camera. Weirdly, I watch a few from people who I would really prefer if they got someone else to present. At the same time, there's a particular british presenter who just does that and only that, and he's terrible. So I avoid everything he puts out. (My problem is that he really sounds like he's reading from a script with his voice dropping at the end of every sentence. If you're going to read it to me like that, just give me the script and I'll read it myself)
As far as ideas go, Lucifer, perhaps you can make some episodes with a sci-fi friend you regularly drink a beer with, that you disagree with on some topics, and both take a few days to prepare your thoughts and what you throw at each other? Personally I often find these formats more enjoyable than just one guy talking or a single voice-over when I watch youtube videos. It's why most late show hosts have a sidekick I guess. Which is not to say that you're not entertaining enough on your own, I like the stuff you put out so far!
Obligatory: I'm a recovering alcoholic, there's nobody I drink beer with. Other than that, I don't really have sci-fi friends right now, except here in armaland. All my local friends are people who aren't into sci-fi. I realize that's a bit paradoxical, but it is.
Somewhat related to the subject of racism in sci-fi movies, I remember a few lectures I had about "films loosely based on historical events" (I forgot what the exact title was, but this was the subject) that deal with antiquity, with "300" (the Egyptians are the bad guys) and either Exodus or Kingdom of Heaven or both by Ridley Scott. These movies are basically history-fiction where the villains are mostly non-white brutes and the heroes are whites.
Not only have I been noticing that trend, but I've been noticing that trend of people commenting on it. Ironically, white washing Genghis Khan with John Wayne ended up being pretty reasonably reflective of what white people do. :) (I realize that movie's pretty old now) Also, whenever marc antony is portrayed with cleopatra, he's almost always portrayed as a villain. I realize that's nominally because of his part in betraying Caesar, but it's hard to ignore that, with cleopatra usually being portrayed as black, there's a race traitor narrative built in.

- Iron Maiden
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Lucifer wrote:Also, whenever marc antony is portrayed with cleopatra, he's almost always portrayed as a villain. I realize that's nominally because of his part in betraying Caesar, but it's hard to ignore that, with cleopatra usually being portrayed as black, there's a race traitor narrative built in.
Hah, I never paid much attention to that detail, thanks!
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

Good luck with the channel!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Swampy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:41 am Good luck with the channel!
Swampy? Holy #&$^! How are you doing?

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here's another one. This is about the Bechdel Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWw7-hQqcI

- Iron Maiden
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

I'm a heck of a lot older and not much wiser and still kicking :)