Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: I'm vaccinated!

Post by Word »

Hey Izzi!! How are you doing? :-D
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Izzi! Good to see some more old players returning.

If you haven't found it already, most of the community is in the tron discord: discord.gg/dcpaauj

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone reading this and still having concerns about hemorrhaging, the current data suggests that the percentage of patients with such a response is less than 0.001% (edit: and that number is still higher than it would otherwise be, because it includes patients with pre-existing conditions requiring blood thinning treatment) . There are some concerns around certain subsections of the population experiencing minor issues, such as temporary pericarditis (inflammation of the heart tissue), but these are easily manageable with medication, and not life-threatening. The NHS also has a macretype for these patients, so they will be monitored for 72 hours. The NHS is freely sharing this information with other health organisations around the world.

To put this into context, the UK has now vaccinated a huge percentage of its population, and the reports of side-effects requiring medication are limited to, last I read, three patients. That's out of several million. Each of those three patients were released after one night of observation with no further complications.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Z-Girl got her first shot the other week, pretty much at the earliest possible time (off-label was too scary). A big relief. She'll get the second one week after school starts again, probably.
Word

Post by Word »

Glad to read that. Stay healthy!

My anti-vax, hard-right-leaning-cousin isn't allowed to visit grandma anymore and I feel great about it, haha.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I got boosted on December 14th. Eight days later I met some friends at a brewery that made me uncomfortable because it was packed with people. It was only the third time I've socialized at an enclosed public space since the beginning of the pandemic. The following day I had a runny nose. On Christmas Eve I felt pretty bad, so I stood in line outside for over an hour to get a rapid Covid test. It was negative, but I had to cancel all my plans that day anyway. On Christmas morning I was too sick to get out of bed for any amount of time. Same for the following day. One week later (Saturday night) I was feeling back to normal, but decided I would still go for my scheduled PCR test the upcoming Monday. Today (Tuesday) I woke up feeling bad again. Wound up sleeping for 11 hours or so. My test results came back positive.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh dear. Get well soon! Must be that blasted Omicron variant.
Word

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:23 am I got boosted on December 14th. Eight days later I met some friends at a brewery that made me uncomfortable because it was packed with people. It was only the third time I've socialized at an enclosed public space since the beginning of the pandemic. The following day I had a runny nose. On Christmas Eve I felt pretty bad, so I stood in line outside for over an hour to get a rapid Covid test. It was negative, but I had to cancel all my plans that day anyway. On Christmas morning I was too sick to get out of bed for any amount of time. Same for the following day. One week later (Saturday night) I was feeling back to normal, but decided I would still go for my scheduled PCR test the upcoming Monday. Today (Tuesday) I woke up feeling bad again. Wound up sleeping for 11 hours or so. My test results came back positive.
You're a good defender, I'm sure you'll outgrind that shit-virus and smack it against the wall as if it was Gonzap. (no offense to Gonzap)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, what do you know? You are maximally careful for two years and the second you let your guard down a little because you're happy to see the people you could not see all of that time, that bug catches you. (Of course, that's not true, we were less than maximally careful plenty of times before, it just feels that way, like how the thing you are looking for is always in the place you check last.) We're on vacation in Portugal (Omikron BA.5 territory), Z-Wife and Z-Girl are down and asleep with positive tests, a moderate fever and headaches. Not much trouble with the respiratory systems. Hoping it stays that way. I'm still standing with a negative test and managed do isolation preparation grocery shopping, we won't starve. No delusions, I can't see how I'm not already incubating. I gave my immune system a pep talk, that'll help. Sucks to lose vacation days, but better now than right before the return trip.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm...the second you let your guard down a little because you're happy to see the people you could not see all of that time, that bug catches you.
Exactly what happened to me just before Christmas last year. Met a couple friends at a brewery for two rounds of drinks, half of us got sick. I even wore a mask half the time I was there.
Word

Post by Word »

double post!
Last edited by Word on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Word

Post by Word »

Got it back in March when I finally, finally visited my parents for the first time after Christmas. Was sitting in a train full of people with some overweight teen who wasn't wearing a mask and he kept eating and coughing the whole time and I thought to myself, that's it, of course you're the inevitable asshole who will infect me and I will infect my parents.

Of course, I got symptoms that Friday evening and kept my distance. Test results on Saturday and Sunday were negative. Returned to Cologne and went to work on Monday. Took the test at 9 am. I was supposed to deliver some tools to another, older colleague, and help him a little at the beginning of the day. Warned him and brought him the stuff he needed. He desinfected everything. Test result came in. Positive. I told him and said goodbye, he said something which roughly translates to "Goodbye, Pestilence-Peter!". We laughed, I left. I also had to lead a minor archeological project that day. It was "my" project, but the Friday before, the construction workers assured me they wouldn't use the excavator on Monday, but when the day came they spontaneously decided they would, so some archeologist had to be there to observe if they come across anything old and document/collect/measure it in case they do. Called my boss and got a replacement, prepared everything, scribbled down a few notes and opened the windows of the construction wagon, then tried to keep my breath, desinfected everything and left. Waited outside for hours in the cold for them to arrive. Then went home and did a PCR test. Bought tons of food, full face-and-body covering and all. Went home. PCR test positive as well. Luckily, neither my parents nor my colleagues got sick (they all had it way later in April). Sunday and Monday were a real pain and it took me like one and a half weeks to get better. My respiratory system took a little longer, but I consider myself lucky. I know a lot of people who already have it for their 2nd time after just a few weeks.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav: The thing about wearing a mask only half of the time, in the simple ballistic model of infection (infected shoot out infection bullets; if they hit while you're not wearing a mask, you get infected), in a situation where not wearing a mask at all gets you infected 99% of the time, wearing it half of the time still gets you 90% of the time. It's P(infection without mask) = 1 - (1 - P(infection with mask half of the time))^2, if my brain is working properly.
Word wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:04 pmWaited outside for hours in the cold for them to arrive.
That probably did not help, ouch.

On the subjects of tests that still show negative even though you have symptoms: The self-tests from the supermarket we used here were spot on in that regard. Strong positive signal on the first morning with symptoms when proper, deep samples were taken. They're FlowFlex by ACON. The swabs are the least tickly of all the ones I used, the haptics of processing the sample are nice (here, they come with a small cute foldout cardboard box that acts as a stand for the test tube). We'll probably be switching over to them in Germany once our supply of others runs out, which may be a while. Just mind that apparently, there is a variant for sale in the US that is not FDA approved, avoid that one. And mind that the recommendation is based on a sample size of three.

Oh yeah, my test turned positive two days ago, so no more beach visits for me for a bit :cry: Looks like I'm getting off lightly, a bit of a hangover, a light cold and general tiredness. And a stiff neck from sleeping on the tiny couch, trying not to catch anything from Z-Wife.
Word

Post by Word »

Ooops, forgot the most important thing: Hope you guys get better soon and don't have any long-term issues!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Don't worry, looks like we'll be fine. The girls were allowed out already, my turn is tomorrow. The neck is fine again. We'll see bits of the family on the weekend, still super cautiously. Funny thing, you obviously know many people lose some sense of smell, most temporarily... well. Apparently, other things can also happen. My sense of smell got... enhanced? I got more sensitive to vinegar. Annoyingly, it decided to smell like Satan's Armpits to me, and vinegar is in a lot of industrial food. So currently, ketchup, salad dressing and mayonnaise all taste terrible. Not a totally bad thing, I could do with not liking these things for the rest of my life, considering they are not exactly super healthy. But I think it is already slowly returning to normal.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hrm. My bout with covid was quick and painless. It was a couple of days' worth of coughing, some runny nose, and some fever, but otherwise, not much. I'd only gotten the J&J vaccine, which isn't as effective as the mrna-based vaccines. I guess I'm glad I still have my immune system. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden