0.2.9.0 release process: 0.2.9_beta_z2049 available

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.2.9.0 release process: 0.2.9_beta_z2049 available

Post by Z-Man »

As you may have read, the upcoming Steam release is going to be based on the 0.2.8 branch, which internally has been using the 0.2.9 version prefix for a while. Confused? Good. It only makes sense to formally release a 0.2.9.0 for everyone, then. Way back, I said this would never happen, main motivation being, IIRC, that I would not want to have to support a 0.2.9 release series for the next X years when 0.4 is just around the corner. An look where we are now, I had to support 0.2.8.3 for the last X years. I'd like to give that an expiration date.

Initial build: 0.2.9_beta_z2039

Current state: Beta
Current build: 0.2.9.0_beta_z2055
Download the builds manually or, if you like automation, subscribe to the Zero Install Beta Feed (works on Windows, too), install armagetronad-beta from our main PPA, or build your own from the beta branch.

On new builds, I'll update this spot and also make a new posts so it shows up under new posts for you.

Slight version numbering scheme change: Just like alpha builds, betas and rcs now just get the revision number attached to them, no count that increases by one each time. That's easier to generate for the build system. I should add the .0 to the prefix, though.

The Steam release will not wait for this process to finish, we'll publish the best version we have whenever we launch. If that's a beta, then it's a beta.

This is a beta phase and we can publish 0.2.9.1 with ease relatively soon; therefore, I'll only fix regressions, that means, bugs that were not yet present in 0.2.8.3.5. Other bugs and features aren't forgotten or dismissed, but fixed on the regular branches with lower priority.

The best place to report problems with these builds is here. GitLab issues are also an option, but guidelines on how to write good ones aren't written yet.

So, test away :)

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.9.0 release process: 0.2.9_beta_z2039 available

Post by Z-Man »

beta-0.2.9_beta_z2043 is out. This one completes the German translation and fixes a language string identifier bug that looked like a typo in the player police menu.

Yeah, I claimed to Steam that we support German and the whole opening menu and initial not-really-tutorial were not yet translated, whoops :)

Edit: The next beta build is just going to be a typo fix in German. I won't post about it separately.

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

if you ever need help with the translation, let me know and i'll take another look. :)

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Need? Nah, but I'd aprecciate it! But if you want to get cracking, On the master branch there is still translating to do, automatic count says 81 items, mostly help entries for config items/commands. Just run the update.py script and search for UNTRANSLATED or ORIGINAL. Ideally, you'd submit a merge request on GitLab.

New build: http://download.armagetronad.org/blog/2 ... eta_z2049/
Nothing much was fixed. The config item that was supposed to store the last fullscreen/window toggle stored the current one (put here by accident, I intended that to only go to the legacy_0.2.8 branch because it's an old bug), and on Linux, the AppRun script used by all of our portable builds didn't like spaces in its call path.

I also activated uploads to itch.io. I almost can't believe how easy that was. This was also intended for the non-beta branch, but because it doesn't influence the other deployments, I put it into beta anyway so we can have a proper itch.io release sooner.
It's not publicly browseable yet, that should not happen before the Steam release, but you can find it here anyway:
https://zmanuel.itch.io/armagetronad?se ... mUNPgot5zA
I suppose if you paste this URI into the URI box of the itch.io app, you can already add it to your library and see how it runs. If that works, you will get auto-updates, also with patches from version to version and not full downloads.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.9.0 release process: 0.2.9_beta_z2049 available

Post by Z-Man »

Moved the itch.io project to another account. I wasn't comfortable with it getting listed as "Armagetron Advanced BY Z-MAN" in places, and it also seems like good security practice.
The new page: https://armagetronad.itch.io/armagetronad
password: notsecret
There, you can only download the game. To add it to your library and receive automatic updates when using the app, you need a key; attached are a bunch.
forum-keys.txt
Please claim them in order and post which one you claimed so others don't have to try five different ones.
To claim a key, just paste it into a browser. That procedure is only required as long as the game is not fully published, of course.

Current build is beta-0.2.9.0_beta_z2055. No content changes. Just added the .0 to the version and the itch changes above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.