A Couple of questions

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
gnorty
Core Dumper

A Couple of questions

Post by gnorty »

HI,

Recently I have been having a few problems with armagetron advanced and I wondered whether the problems were related to my client version, the servers or something else (in some cases)

1- when connecting to a server, I can watch the final throws of the current round, but when the new round starts I see the introductory stuff, then poof!! my client dies. This will happen over and over on the same server, but other servers work without problems. (v0.2.7.1 - Ubuntu - Nvidia X server)

2- When building speed by cutting inside a tight loop, many times I find that the bike explodes where there should be no wall. a drawing is shown below. entering the move from the top, the bike explodes at the red point. this doesnt happen always, and seems to happen more on some servers than others. Maybe my imagination but also seems more common when lag is high. certainly no other players are near when it happens. Any advice on avoiding this appreciated.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

2. sounds like the bounce bug; there, on your last turn, you don't end up where you expect (between the two top walls), but between the two bottom walls. It was fixed in 0.2.7.1 and is a server side bug. On affected servers, you can only avoid it by not building speed tunnels.

1. is a clientside bug; no matter what the server does, the client should not crash. It may be one of the memory overwrite errors that have been fixed since 0.2.8_beta3. if you can, go to
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... c&start=75
and fetch the unofficial beta3.2 build (you'll need to use the src.tbz) and try that. If it still happens there, make a recording with
armagetronad --record crash.rec
then compress and send over crash.rec.
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

Cheers for that, I will download the beta and give it a try.
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

Further info.

The crashing client thing got really bad today, unti it crashed whetever I did. It mainly crshed when I called up the console, but it was too too much

As a test, I logged in and ran arma as a different user, and it was rock solid. I suspect config problems, but have deleted .armagetronad and reran the game and it was exactly the same.