Ladle 101

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Monkey
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 101

Post by Monkey »

Great, I'll add you to our team list on the challenge board.
Playing since December 2006
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Should you need a hidden server, hit me up on IRC.
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

Yep, Monsters unleashed vs Cataclyzm kept getting ddos, Mu will be in hidden server.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I'm glad everyone is persevering and having a good time. It's a little messy switching servers, but overall not too difficult. I actually think all the servers played very well when not under attack.

Can't wait to play again next month. Congrats to our opponents Wild West and Cats Unleashed (meow). Sparks, I'll see you in a couple weeks for more fun.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, gj everyone keeping the fun up. Sorting the recordings is going to take a bit longer this time, though :)

My FR server was under attack, for those wondering. I hesitate to call it a DDoS because it was not nearly strong enough, only about 8Mbit/s. I totally failed to gather any detailed information (sources, data content) because I'm stupid and can't read manpages or do proper test runs.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

@Magi/sinewav/Z-Man: Thanks for getting it organized while being surrounded by all the chaos/DDoS crap.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Good games all, ddossing aside, looking forward to next Ladle.

Hard to rate servers with ddossing so I wont try to.

One thing to note is that I should have been team leader in all ladle servers but I wasn't. We need to try to make sure that all ladle servers are setup properly.
Playing since December 2006
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Why don't we just use hidden servers next ladle? Team leaders can be messaged with the IPs etc..

I had to leave, I played knowing I had to work a little after it started, just purely because I miss the game..

We couldnt go 2 consecutive rounds without getting ddosed.. Just really sucks to be honest.

P.S. Sorry to all I played with, had to get ready for work so I left. Glad to see you all put up a good fight a man down!
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

All I will say Regarding My servers, I am working with my host to better defend against the DDoS.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

There are a lot of solutions to the DDoS problem. Most of them cost money. Others cost too much development time to be practical. Some server admins are experimenting with solutions. What we are missing is a coalition of server admins sharing performance data and experiences with each other. I suggest a non-public place on these forums for server admins to discuss issues while we work out the best and cheapest solution.

We used to use a server quality tracker, but until we sort out the DDoS issue there is no need to take feedback for it (not that we've really used it since I left my Ladle duties). However, we coule really use a robust good plan for assigning server backups. The biggest problem with the DDoS attacks isn't the attack itself, but the confusion teams go through while they find a replacement server.

I've don't have experience in this area because it takes some math, but I know there is a way to be more efficient with servers we have. Every Ladle round that is completed frees up another server or two that can be used. We should come up with a backup server list that is more than three servers deep for each round. Also, it might not be too difficult to write a web page that shows which servers are up, which are under attack, and which are populated. This way players can look and see immediately what is available and make haste to that server.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

ggs everyone, just a heads up ahead of time I can't make next ladle but I'll still set the wiki up and try my best to get things to run smoothly. As for not having team leader in all servers, referring to monkey, I think that's in part of Gene's servers not being updated for ladle 101.

I could try and get the server quality tracker going again but honestly most servers are pretty on par with each other as of late, some days some have bad days or just get dos'd a lot so I don't think it's too necessary. Maybe some site to show which servers aren't in use like sine suggested could be useful to people have an easy way to transition/figure out where to go
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
TheRealTweezy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by TheRealTweezy »

If you want this stop just buy the servers comp uses. They are ovh servers for gaming starting at 25 per month. Oh yeah ovh are possible to null keep that in mind.. just need more bots and amplified list. But don't forget this is for the dedicated or vps servers, what about the players, what if they aren't allowed to play due to ddos? @z man and really a 8mb attack, you should take a look at that again
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

Ha, cute
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You're right, it was only 6Mbit. Either you did not get the punch you paid for or the bandwidth only counts what goes through the filter.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

Tweezy if you could **** off that'd be great.