My floor got messed up. Help!

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

My floor got messed up. Help!

Post by ConVicT »

I built armagetron 0.4 and installed it, and it has somehow messed with my floor settings in 0.2 (maybe what I used and what I did to build it could help).
Everything is more green than any other colour.

When I check my floor settings with consol, the floor settings show as:

Code: Select all

FLOOR_RED 0.15.
FLOOR_GREEN 0.3.
FLOOR_BLUE 0.15.
Naturally, I change GREEN to match RED and BLUE, but even when I do that, everything seems dull.

What are the default floor-colour values?
Also what is the name of/and where can I find this file that's messed it all up for me?
Attachments
How it's looking for me. You can ignore the crappy picture, that's just a floor.png I made to use in HFT, and although part of that floor is green, it still shouldn't look like this.
How it's looking for me. You can ignore the crappy picture, that's just a floor.png I made to use in HFT, and although part of that floor is green, it still shouldn't look like this.
It should look like this. Not usually as bright as that when stretched across the grid at GRID_SIZE 354 but you can see what I mean by "everything is more green than any other colour".
It should look like this. Not usually as bright as that when stretched across the grid at GRID_SIZE 354 but you can see what I mean by "everything is more green than any other colour".
floor2.png (42.82 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Here it is with the normal floor.png just incase it can help with ruling out any possibility of it being my picture.
Here it is with the normal floor.png just incase it can help with ruling out any possibility of it being my picture.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: My floor got messed up. Help!

Post by sinewav »

Think of it this way: the number after FLOOR_RED etc... is a percentage of the range 0-255. Set all of them to 1.0 for full brightness (white) and if that is too bright, knock each of them down ~10% until you get the desired luminosity. In version 0.2x the default for all three values is 0.2 (settings_visual.cfg). I believe that changed to 0.3 in the newer versions, but naturally you can set the values to taste.

And I must remind everyone to not edit your configuration files directly, but rather put desired changes in autoexec.cfg in your home/armagetronad folder, or in the settings.cfg file for each moviepack.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Thank you, sinwav.
Knowing the defaults helped big time. My game looks like it should (to me), for the first time in two weeks.

The files you mention though, "settings_visual.cfg" seem to have vanished.
These are the placers I've checked and would assume they'd be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Armagetron Advanced\config
C:\Users\ConVicT\AppData\Roaming\Armagetron
I can't remember which of the two directories but I know they did exist because I used to use settings_visual for my COLOR_R_1, and my GRID_SIZE.
Ever since I built 0.4 on my own and installed it, files have gone missing, changing, and fack knows what else I haven't noticed.
Oh, actually, my rim wall is now vertically infinite. :?

Things have also been added to my textures that weren't there before, 3 different fort.png's for example, and If I delete them, I have no text in-game.

I don't understand this because I had text before and didn't have these textures.
Attachments
font.png
font.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Those three font files are required for 0.2.8 (as you noticed) and included with it. So leave them be :)

May I ask how you are building, possibly installing, and running things? 0.4 should most definitely not overwrite your 0.2.8 user configuration, it uses a different file for that and only reads the 0.2.8 file on the first run. System files are a different matter; the standard installation of 0.4 will consider itself an upgrade over 0.2.8 and mercilessly clobber all 0.2.8 files that conflict with itself. You need to take special precautions so the two don't clash. I personally simply never install the things and run them from the build directory, but you can also make 0.4 install itself in a non-conflicting location by configuring it with
./configure progname=armagetronad-experimental
or whatever alternative name you want.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Z-Man wrote:May I ask how you are building, possibly installing, and running things?
First I followed this tutorial from the wiki.
Then I followed this tutorial from Jip.

But I kept getting errors when building using the files I got with Tortoise-SVN from here:

https://armagetronad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/armagetronad/armagetronad/branches/0.4

My friend was learning how to do this at the same time as me and suggested I use these files instead (I can't find it on sourceforge now, which is why I uploaded it to MediaFire for LittleSteps).
So with these files, I followed Jip's tutorial and build it with Code::Blocks 10.05 and when my build is finished, I generate an installer with the .nsi script using NSIS.
As for installing, I just ran the .exe and clicked next on everything.

Not quite sure how to answer:
Z-Man wrote:and running things?
Attachments
I don't know if seeing this saves you having download from my MediaFire link but just incase it does, here you go.
I don't know if seeing this saves you having download from my MediaFire link but just incase it does, here you go.
Capture.PNG (8.42 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

If anyone is interested, here is my build.
Maybe it'll help solve how some of my files got lost or changed, too.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, right, Windows. Same thing there: the 0.4 installer will, by default, overwrite the 0.2.8 installation. Two ways to prevent that: 1. Don't install, run the game directly from the build/dist folder. 2. Before installation of 0.4, move the 0.2.8 start menu folder out of the way and then install the 0.4 version simply into a different directory.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Ok, thank you, Z-man.
I'll just get rid of everything and install 0.2.8 fresh so's I get all my stuff back,
And I'll just create a desktop shortcut to my 0.4 build.
Easy peasy.
Thanks again.