(suspended) Official / Helpful Helptexts for New Players

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
vov
Match Winner

(suspended) Official / Helpful Helptexts for New Players

Post by vov »

Edit: Due to lack of support and apparently interest (only Word so far, sorry) this has been suspended. If you want this and also want to help you can ask me and I'll pick it up again.

On the topic of official servers:
On newbie friendly servers there should be useful help texts to use with /help and /teach. Let's collect some ideas here. A great starting point are the ones used in the former "Armagetron Entrance" Server with that purpose (too long to quote, what an opportunity for a spoiler tag :-)):
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 50#p259350

Let's collect topics and texts for /help texts here! No matter the topic, anything that can help. Even if it's already in v0.4's tutorial, it doesn't hurt to have it as a text. We can structure it later. :-)

I really like the helptexts in the link above. What's in there already (no particular order):
  • Auth
    Changing player name
    Color chat
    Double binding
    Camera
    Glancing
    Lag/Lag-O-Meter
    A couple game tips
    Rubber
    Rules
    Wiki
    Forums
Additions: That's where you come in. Mention topics you want to see; and if you want also write text for it but that's optional. Maybe there should be a short and a long version for everything?
Last edited by vov on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vov
Match Winner

Re: Official / Helpful Helptexts for New Players

Post by vov »

On second thought, I'm also gonna make a wiki page with the helptexts to have them all in one place. Screw page breaks and off topic stuff.
Also everything on this "getting started" wiki page should be covered by helptexts. And have a link / guide to that wiki page as help text too.

Update: Here it is. Feel free to format and structure stuff and add your own!
http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php? ... Collection
Last edited by vov on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asdasd
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by asdasd »

Nice one Vov
Image ImageImageImage
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

If you want some texts about fortress basics, the backup of Concord's blog is still there. There's much more than the stuff I linked, like hoop's short text about the ideal double-grind. I think one can summarize these texts easily or take out a few snippets. Edit: You can just click to the link below (Insomnia forums) for all relevant playfortress articles I remember. It displays me as author, but most of these articles were written by other people, most notably Concord.

Then there's Luzifer's fort guide: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =3&t=20383

I started a topic about a manual once, but the file I posted is gone (probably was ashamed of it and deleted it...? sawwry :oops: - Phytrotron posted the original manual there)
Anyway, the discussion is still relevant I think: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =3&t=20439

(and I used to spam pru's members area with guides/strategies etc.; perhaps Venom or Rx still have a backup.)

edit: Ah, this: http://insomniaclan.proboards.com/threa ... ress-links ---> some more tips if you scroll down:
You know what the lagometer is, right? The white triangle that surrounds your enemies and shows you the true position of their cycles. You can see it even better if you type "/console predict_objects 1" (without the quotes, in normal chat). I have it turned off, but perhaps that will help some of you.

But since the cycle is always a bit further than you think, the trail end is too. That means if you attack, you shouldn't just try to kill the cycle, you should try to find the trail end and use the gap you can't see. Hard to explain, and most attackers still don't know that, but after a few successful cuts you'll get the principle.

In most game types there is a simple rule for tail/speed control.
Grinding makes you fast, turning slows you down. Remember this and use it to win the upper hand over your opponents. Get in front of them, core dump them. The same applies for ctf or df. If you don't have any brakes, turn. There are a few things you can practice in empty servers to get familiar with the physics, like camping (=surviving), grinding and getting through hard grinds, and of course attacking/defending/sweeping/shrinking a defense.

When you attack, avoid to close yourself in when you don't have any room - that should be obvious, right? In the best case you always have an exit for yourself. You should always try to take out the sweepers first so you can hole/attack and have enough freedom to get speed, but if the opportunity presents itself, just core dump the defense.
Sometimes you can even use the sweepers to hole. That's why the sweepers should always keep some distance from the def and try to core dump the enemies/get core dumped elsewhere if possible. Holing early can have two effects:
1) the enemies are distracted and everyone panics and dies while trying to gank. Then it all depends on your best sumoers inside the zone. If you win it's pure luck.
2) the enemies stay cool and core dump you one after another, absorbing your entire team if you don't react properly.

from my experience i know that 3v1 never works if 3 players attack at the same time and don't hole. They don't have enough room. 2v1 works if the 2 both stick to their half. and you can win an 1v1 only if you have enough patience, provided that you're the attacker. the def has always an advantage since it can hide behind its trail end. You can turn that into a disadvantage by shrinking it.
And you should be good at basic mathematics.
Every point matters, winning a round (with zone) means 10 points.
If it's round 10 (of 10) and your team has 90 points while the others have 78 you'd win it even if you give up your zone. you just need to make sure that your whole team stays alive.
The no-point-hole is useful when the score is 90-98. If you're the team with the 90, do an nph and you win.

Staying alive (= player advantage) is the most important thing. Just don't take silly risks, don't follow opponents everywhere. If you're not sure about a certain move, don't make it. When you try to close someone and he still has the upper hand, turn back immediately afterwards. And if you happen to have boxed someone, don't let him out again. A lot just depends on one's ability to think ahead.
I doubt I'll get a Pulitzer for that. Anyway, keep in mind this is my younger, more inexperienced self. I just edited this a little to make it easier to read :-)
Last edited by Word on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amas0

Post by Amas0 »

+1 Pay attention Dev's, the potatoe guy is actually doing something for the game.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Hey now if you could actually help that would be even better. It's a rather large project and I don't want to do it all alone.

The immediate goal is to have something to /teach to newbies who maybe don't even know how to chat. Start with that.
This is mostly for those who don't know what to do, hit "play online", and get confused and leave. The v0.4 tutorial will help a LOT with that but with 0.2.8 still being the stable/official version it is a thing.

Code: Select all

ADD_HELP_TOPIC chat "How to chat" "Press the 0xff0000s 0xffff7fkey to talk.\nOn some servers, spectators can only talk with 0xff5533/shout *message*0xffff7f.\nThe 0xff0000t 0xffff7fkey (or /team *message*) will give team chat."
Then we can tell them about /help and with the important stuff on the front page they can figure out stuff for themselves a bit. For example changing their keys and name.

Then there could be some tips for playing that explain some basic mechanics like speed, brakes, grinds and maybe rubber. As well as a link to the wiki and forums, and maybe authentication.

Fortress specific stuff and the likes come much later. :-)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Yeah, I only linked it all since some of the things said there are generally helpful for all game types.
Which reminds me, you can find a lot more on the old Ww forums. Sinewav's CTF Manual is already on the wiki. Reading Levi's post made a lasting impact on me; I tried to play in a more economic way ever since - it would have taken me much longer to figure all this out on my own. I know a lot of this seems really obvious, but it can take a new player years to rationalize and articulate his experience like Levi did here (most "open" players refuse to learn the first step and then fail at the rest):
This guide is not to "support 1v1ing" if you do 1v1 you should do it in multi, away from the team game ctf.

Rubber usage: it is important to always have your rubber in mind, the less rubber you use the better. So try not to use rubber until you have to, even when i speed up, i just double bind left, then right (this method is better than tripling or the left left right or right right left method because it doesn't use any rubber and still gains an acceptable amount of speed). The overall goal is to save your rubber till you can trap someone with it and score a fast kill, then let it die down and do it again.

Turning: One of the questions you have to think about in 1v1s is: "How much do i turn, when do i turn?" One thing you have to do is make sure not to "over abuse" turning. Keep your turning down to a minimum, use it to kill, camp, and escape ONLY, why? because each time you turn your speed decreases, why would you want to decelerate when most games are won by going faster? As for the second part, "when do i turn?" turn when you can
1. Gain the upper hand by turning.
2. Escape from a trap.
3. Avoid being trapped.
4. Camp.
5. Kill.
The reason kill is last on the list is because it is the last thing you need to think about, most 1v1s are won not because you are amazing and the other person sucks, but because they made a mistake, and lost. This means kill is not your first priority, because they can kill themselves without you ;D.

Gaining the "upper hand.": It is important to always have an edge over your opponent, this edge is not gained by skill but by positioning. You want to have the ability to cut your opponent off. The easiest way to gain this ability is by speed, remember the acceleration movement from the first section? Make sure you use it to its full ability (you do this because it costs you NO rubber, it can only benefit you). Another way to gain the upper hand will be shown in the next section.

The easy escape: The hardest time to escape is when you have two jagged walls poking at you. These two "jagged walls" are made when you and your opponent work together to trap you. You can avoid this challenging scenario by simply not turning before getting trapped. If you don't turn, they cant catch something jagged and make your escape impossible. think of it this way, if your in a box with all straight lines people will trap you with a double bind, you can follow their movement easily and catch them, however if your in a box with "jagged" lines they can catch something jagged and kill you. This gives yet another reason to only turn when necessary.

Tail control: The speed of your tail is controlled by the speed of your lightcycle. For this section i will use the equation TS=LS (Tail speed=lightcycle speed). The ability to control how long can keep your tail in one place is not realized by most of the ctf community. If you trap someone and they are about to get out, and you are going very fast, turn a bunch and slow down, the sudden change in your tail speed (which happens to be the speed that the box surrounding your opponent goes down) may very well kill them. This adds the final reason for turning, tail control.

I hope this helped, good luck to all of you.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Turn left or right, don't crash into walls.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:Turn left or right, don't crash into walls.
QFT.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Left, and ******* right.