SDL test

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

SDL test

Post by Z-Man »

There has been some trouble with the Windows version that may be related to switching the version of SDL we include; to track this down, I prepared two crossover installers: one of 0.2.7.1 with the SDL libraries from 0.2.8_beta2, and one of version 0.2.8_beta2 with the SDL libraries from 0.2.7.1.

So, I'd like to ask everyone who had problems with screen initialization or similar (this includes SD and TnA) on Windows to download and test
0.2.8_beta2 as it was released
0.2.8_beta2 with old SDL
0.2.7.1 with new SDL
0.2.7.1 as it was released

Please test all four versions if you had problems with one; install each into a separate directory to avoid one reading files from the other (which would defy the purpose of testing). You don't have to test the "as it was released" versions again if you already did so, but please do so anyway in case of doubts (for example, when you originally tested beta2, it didn't work, but now both new installers od work).
I almost forgot: please post your results :)
Scope of testing: Just the screen initialization part. Start it, switch windowed/fullscreen mode, alt-tab away and back, try different screen resolutions. Those should be the only affected parts.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Luke: I'm abusing aabeta as a storage space; I don't want the files listed on the index page. They're useless without the instructions here.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Re: SDL test

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:Luke: I'm abusing aabeta as a storage space; I don't want the files listed on the index page. They're useless without the instructions here.
That's fine, just
1) leave the files up there; don't delete them later
2) let me know if you plan to abuse > 25 MB; you might have noticed disk space is low fairly often
3) link via fetch.php
4) use sensical pathnames

(no problems w/ the way you did it, just wanted to get those general guides out here)
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Both 7.1s work and neither 8.0s work. (note: no matter what i do, i deleted all files for it, 0.2.8.0 just wont reset my settings...)
Damn, it sure has been a while!
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Yay i found out how to make it so fullscreen works after it ***** up!.... NOTE:
I reset my comp for the first time in 6 months today..i wonder why i never thought of restarting to make it so it can fullscreen again :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

TiTnAsS wrote:NOTE:
I reset my comp for the first time in 6 months today..i wonder why i never thought of restarting to make it so it can fullscreen again :)
Probably for the same reason you don't think of restarting your car when the radio doesn't work?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

TiTnAsS wrote:Both 7.1s work and neither 8.0s work. (note: no matter what i do, i deleted all files for it, 0.2.8.0 just wont reset my settings...)
And "don't work" here means what? Your blank fullscreen problem?
And for 0.2.8, you have to delete whatever is in D:\Documents and settings\<User name>\Applications?\Armagetronad. I'm not sure about the Applications part, just delete everything with rmagetron in it's name below Documents and Settings. And of course D:\ probalby is C:\.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

yes my fullscreen problem... and i deleted everything on my comp related to tron that i saw O_O...
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

I don't see this bug fixed in SDL 1.2.9 changelog, but have you tried with SDL 1.2.9 libraries?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

TnA: I noticed from the recording you sent about the black screen that you disabled the "Use SDL" option in the screen menu, your chances are generally better if you activate it (and it's the default). Could you give it a try? The option is already there in 0.2.7.1, can you see what happens if you disable it there?

About the configuration files: if 0.2.8 did not forget your name and other settings, you did not delete the right files. Perhaps Windows XP hides them? I'll see if I can add a start menu entry that opens them in explorer, wherever they are.

Klax: The single problem I have, which is hardly worth complaining about (the fact that after alt-tabbing away from AA and back while in fullscreen mode, then switching to windowed mode, will iconize the window), also appeared with SDL 1.2.9, just as in 1.2.8. Somehow, I was unable to use SDL 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 for testing (I got the unresolved linker symbol SDL_Error), and I did not want to introduce variables I don't understand into this simple test. Therefore just AA 0.2.7.1 vs 0.2.8 and SDL 1.2.8 vs whatever we shipped with 0.2.7.1.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

ill test it with the versions later, have alot to do, but i will try it.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Now I notice this bug and as you said it is also in SDL 1.2.9

Do I downgrade the SDL libraries to SDL 1.2.7?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Provided there have been no significant improvements in other areas since 1.2.7, I'd say yes. I skimmed through the changelog and did not find anything of interest.

Of course, we should report the problems. The question is, how? I think I can throw together a quick test program, but the only bug I experience firsthand is the alt-tab and fullscreen toggle problem, all the "does not work at all" (whatever that means) reports come from users without debug information.