Tron 3

Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Tron 3

Post by Word »

Not sure how these two look without AdBlocker...

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/-tron ... led/336968
http://news.moviefone.com/2014/04/17/tron-3/

Sounds to me like they are copying the plot of "Her" and the original Tron movie :P

Do we get more players then?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Tron 3

Post by compguygene »

If we do everything we should have done before tron:legacy: .4, new website, etc. we will start getting more players naturally and the bump with the movie will be much larger.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

compguygene wrote:If we do everything we should have done before tron:legacy: .4, new website, etc. we will start getting more players naturally and the bump with the movie will be much larger.
F0RC3
Core Dumper

Post by F0RC3 »

I liked tron legacy, I'm sure I'll like the sequel as well.

If i recall correctly after tron legacy came out I saw about 200 people on at one time. I would definitely expect more people to come play arma after the movie comes out.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

This one's going to suck worse than the last one.

I'm having a hard time finding motivation to beat the movie to a release, considering how bad the last one was.

Really? Flynn made new life forms?

That's all I remember. It was quite a traumatic experience.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'm not planning on watching any of the previews for this. If Daft Punk does the soundtrack again though, I'll be looking forward to that.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

compguygene wrote:If we do everything we should have done before tron:legacy: .4, new website, etc. we will start getting more players naturally and the bump with the movie will be much larger.
HA, nice joke.

Good luck trying to get Z-Man/Tank to comply with this.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

We should add ramps to the game! Perfect opportunity.

Z-man, you're practically destined to be the guy to add a z axis. Tank & Lucifer can maintain the two axes we already have. See, I got it all planned out :)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

You seem to have forgotten about Armagetron Rule #72!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@Lucifer: Any motivation to beat the movie for a release would be for the purposes of being ready for that population burst; for all the noobs that will come in. It's about them not having to deal with the same problems many of the users now had to deal with when they started. Regardless how bad the movie is, it's a movie that takes place in a video game world (with light cycles no less) - this is essentially free advertising for armagetron. So I don't see how the movie (and how good it is) has any relevance to the motivation one should feel about beating the movie to release. But it should also be noted:
Lucifer wrote:Really? Flynn made new life forms?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tron:_Legacy wrote:Kevin Flynn: The Miracle...You remember. ISOs, isomorphic algorithms, a whole new life form.
Sam Flynn: And you created them?
Kevin Flynn: [Laughs] No, no. They manifested, like a flame. They weren't really, really from anywhere. The conditions were right, and they came into being. For centuries we dreamed of gods, spirits, aliens, and intelligence beyond our own. I found them in here, like flowers in a wasteland. Profoundly naive; unimaginably wise. They were spectacular. Everything I'd hope to find in the system; control, order, perfection. None of it meant a thing. Been living in a hall of mirrors. The ISOs shattered it, the possibilities of their root code, their digital DNA. Disease? History! Science, philosophy, every idea man has ever had about the Universe up for grabs. Biodigital jazz, man. The ISOs, they were going to be my gift to the world.
Sam Flynn: So what happened?
Kevin Flynn: CLU. CLU happened.
[Flashback sequence shows CLU's corruption, and Tron sacrificing himself to save Flynn.]
Kevin Flynn: It was a coup. Tron, he fought for me. I never saw him again.
Sam Flynn: So why didn't you fight?
Quorra: He did.
Kevin Flynn: CLU fed on my resistance. The more I fought, the more powerful he became. It was impressive, really. And my miracle? CLU saw the ISOs as an imperfection, so he destroyed them.
I don't think you remembered it well enough to enjoy it.

@Vogue: There's nothing to comply to. There was a boom in tron's population because of tron legacy. Chances are something like that will happen because of this new film. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything; or even asking for that matter. But making people aware of what is most likely to happen, and how we as a community can take advantage of that, isn't a joke.
The entire reason why those horrible movie based games are released for consoles is because the developers know that people have just watched the movie and still are entertained by the idea. Note: the movie based games are HORRIBLE, yet, they still make money. They are still worth making. So regardless of anything, new users will come. They will be here, will Armagetron be ready for them? (nothing NEEDS to change, but imagine how much better things could be for those users from the start; alleviate them of the crap that we went through)

@Titanoboa: What you're asking for will make the code exponentially more complicated (asking for ramps is like asking for you to hit an angled wall in the current armagetron, and having your direction change when you hit the wall, instead of the default stopping dead in your tracks - but in 3 dimensions. Not to mention that "gravity" or something to pull you back down would be needed - else you will just go straight mid air, no matter your speed - and could you turn in mid air? There's LOTS that could be added in and having all the options available makes it complicated). Not that it will be hard to do (it should actually be quite easy), just time-consuming and perhaps tedious. I'd say don't get your hopes up. It's one of those things where a developer would need to sit down for hours on end redesigning a lot of tron (which could turn into a new game entirely - leaving a 2D based Armagetron, and a new "Armagetron Legacy", if you will, in 3D).
Though you can get your hopes up a little....if they don't do it, eventually someone will; even if it's me.

EDIT:
LOL just saw that video compguygene. That's funny but it also accurately described one of the many issues with ramps (the lack of gravity or direction change).
Damn, I should see what other videos are kicking around. That was great.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Titanoboa wrote:We should add ramps to the game! Perfect opportunity.

Z-man, you're practically destined to be the guy to add a z axis. Tank & Lucifer can maintain the two axes we already have. See, I got it all planned out :)
We already have a z axes, tank made it :)
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

:O

Oh...they are just like levels though.
Levels can be mimicked with extra map space: Say you have a square map, and a teleporter at the top (a door to stairs) which teleports you to another square map (basically another square beside the first). Since the objects on different levels cannot interact anyway, the effect is the same (except that you can't see the levels above or below, and this would wreck your minimap).

Would be nice to see some full 3D instead of just levels (IMO). If there was full 3D with all the interactions handled, then making awesome 3D maps would be the next best thing - support for 3D objects in maps would be great! I already know of an open source project that already dealt with a lot of this. Perhaps looking at that code might help.

And you got me all excited kyle! But then I saw that thread was back in 2009 >_>
Doesn't seem like a 3rd dimension is to be added anytime soon. *sigh*
Not that armagetron is bad without it; it's great! And there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple either.
Having 3D in tron without effecting everything that tron currently is, is like having your cake and eating it too.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

It's not added because the client won't work with any other server. Also the teleport zone was not around back then either, however It still does not have the same effect as this does. This you can capture a fortress zone from either level, makes defence insane because you have to defend from both above and below. (note when there was a server up we only had about 4-6 players in it, playing fortress) It was a lot of fun, I kind of want to set one up and see if anyone would want to hop in it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Durf wrote:@Lucifer: Any motivation to beat the movie for a release would be for the purposes of being ready for that population burst; for all the noobs that will come in. It's about them not having to deal with the same problems many of the users now had to deal with when they started. Regardless how bad the movie is, it's a movie that takes place in a video game world (with light cycles no less) - this is essentially free advertising for armagetron. So I don't see how the movie (and how good it is) has any relevance to the motivation one should feel about beating the movie to release. But it should also be noted:
Lucifer wrote:Really? Flynn made new life forms?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tron:_Legacy wrote:Kevin Flynn: The Miracle...You remember. ISOs, isomorphic algorithms, a whole new life form.
Sam Flynn: And you created them?
Kevin Flynn: [Laughs] No, no. They manifested, like a flame. They weren't really, really from anywhere. The conditions were right, and they came into being. For centuries we dreamed of gods, spirits, aliens, and intelligence beyond our own. I found them in here, like flowers in a wasteland. Profoundly naive; unimaginably wise. They were spectacular. Everything I'd hope to find in the system; control, order, perfection. None of it meant a thing. Been living in a hall of mirrors. The ISOs shattered it, the possibilities of their root code, their digital DNA. Disease? History! Science, philosophy, every idea man has ever had about the Universe up for grabs. Biodigital jazz, man. The ISOs, they were going to be my gift to the world.
Sam Flynn: So what happened?
Kevin Flynn: CLU. CLU happened.
[Flashback sequence shows CLU's corruption, and Tron sacrificing himself to save Flynn.]
Kevin Flynn: It was a coup. Tron, he fought for me. I never saw him again.
Sam Flynn: So why didn't you fight?
Quorra: He did.
Kevin Flynn: CLU fed on my resistance. The more I fought, the more powerful he became. It was impressive, really. And my miracle? CLU saw the ISOs as an imperfection, so he destroyed them.
I don't think you remembered it well enough to enjoy it.
It wasn't enjoyable. It started off with a really solid Free Software theme, and I was in love with it right away. But then, out of nowhere, just like the girlfriend who looks at your bed and says "It's more messed up than it was three nights ago when I slept in it, you ******* cheater!", the movie took a turn for the worst, and it never recovered from it.

Oh man. That movie was the worst movie ever made until JJ Abrams made another Star Trek movie.

As for population booms, y'all can be pressured all you want about hurrying up and doing something. This community, as it stands right now, was founded on 0.2.6.0. And by comparison, you've got it [/i]easy[/i]. (I started with 0.2.5.1 or something like that, and moved directly to compiling from source to play 0.2.7.0)

You want to capitalize on a new-player-bump? Get people to use good manners in the servers, and stop arguing about stupid shit on the forums. Focus on development and playing the game. That's what got people to stay before, that's what got them to stay after that, that's what got YOU to stay, that's what works.

You know, actually being inclusive is surprisingly successful at, well, including people.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

compguygene wrote:You seem to have forgotten about Armagetron Rule #72!
Thank you comp, for making my day.
kyle wrote:We already have a z axes, tank made it :)
:)