A faster development cycle

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
nux
Round Winner

A faster development cycle

Post by nux »

After Sunday bugs thingy, we noticed 0.4 is in pretty good shape regarding bugs still valid for the stable branch. Considering this and the huge amount of new features, i believe we should shorten the cycles. We are putting on hold a ton of features based on only a handful of them, which also means it will have to stay beta for longer. If we were to do shorter cycles instead, beta wouldnt have to be so painful and the lack of active development would be a little less evident. Im not saying "go the Mozilla way" and release a new version every month, but i do believe we can handle 2 cycles every year. My idea might be a little bit too extremist, but i would like to make 0.4 beta right now, leaving zonesv2 and ipv6 support for 0.4.2, to be released on July 2013.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
K-Yo
Round Winner

Re: A faster development cycle

Post by K-Yo »

make arma development more agile!

some know advantages of releasing more frequently:
- you have a better "taste" of your features: you really know what they are only when you use them
- fast feedback
- more rewarding
- bad parts of the app won't stay in stable branch a long time
K-Yo
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Nux: Will you look at copying the graphical properties from 0.2.8 into 0.4? I dunno about everything else, but to me 0.4 feels a bit plasticky.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

delinquent wrote:Nux: Will you look at copying the graphical properties from 0.2.8 into 0.4? I dunno about everything else, but to me 0.4 feels a bit plasticky.
These are just the default textures chosen for 0.4, there is already the moviepack -feature- hack which allows people to use custom textures; you can just dump the 0.2.8 textures in there and have them on 0.4 (i believe, i dont use textures).
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.