h4zard's server { Black * Tronners }

Topics and posts about all other servers...
h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

h4zard's server { Black * Tronners }

Post by h4zard »

It's up most of the time, pretty friendly place provided you don't provoke me or another player I'm sure most players by now at least the ones I've played with know I get pissed off pretty fast, Settings are Pretty much ..D.o.g.f.i.g.h.t.. well 99% dogfight 1% cycle_rim_accel and cycle_rubber 8 .
But Remember ( ITS NOT 100% hardcore Dogfight since people keep blabbering on about rules they picked up from other servers or some list of rules that they believe the community adheres to) so don't come into my server telling me and other players we're playing the game wrong.

I've listed the rules in the MOTD but I notice some people like to skip that and then wonder why they get a warning from an admin so I've listed the rules in four places (server options, console message, motd, and round center message) if you manage to miss all of that I can't help you :D.

The Rules are pretty simple: NO stabbing, camping, excessive rimming(yeah I know kinda a redundant rule with cycle_rim_accel set to 2), Chat Killing, or Trolling. You may however dig to your hearts content and to clarify by dig I mean grinding back and forth not stab then wobble your cycle side to side.

The Server may be prone to random downtime (usually if I decide to add an admin or moderator or if I need to change a setting) however I'll let you know and will let you finish your round, I'm running 0.2.9 Sty+Ct so the server may crash on a segfault however it's a pretty rare occurence.

If a user requests a mode like sumo, team sumo, fort, team fort, King of the Hill, I may change the settings temporarily, I'm working on writing a script to make it autonomous for users to vote for/against a mode(before anyone hits me with a brickwall yeah I borrowed the idea from moofie xD), Sometimes I'll add wacky settings like super slow brakes or turbo brakes for a brief period of time.

Remember be nice ;p
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: h4zard's server { Black * Tronners }

Post by Phytotron »

h4zard wrote:by dig I mean grinding back and forth not stab then wobble your cycle side to side.
:roll: out of my head onto the floor.

No mercy for chatbots!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

If you are making this a server for "open play", had you considered adding CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE_GAP 1? This leaves an almost invisible gap that does not affect the traps made by players, but does help to prevent stabbing and leaves enough of a gap to slip through at times when a player might accidentally seal. I have tested it with other df'rs and they seemed to like the effect. ID Hang Loose DF uses this.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by h4zard »

Thanks for the advice compguy I'll add it to the config, I really do like feedback and tips or tricks keep it coming :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Continuing the eye-rolling theme of goofy terminology: What the heck is "Mode: nano" supposed to mean?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Slower arena, less speed, and more forgiving rubber compared to the normal, common (one could say canonical) version of something. Similar to Nano's Playground or Wild West Multi Mode's Nano Sumo (forgot whether they have Dogfight as well)

(had little time play so perhaps that changed by now)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Problems: A) That's not a game mode. B) It's not unique. C) The server's settings don't reflect that, anyway.

The only "nano" thing about it is the stupid CYCLE_DELAY.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Phytotron. It's just a game mode/type... Haven't you ever played Nano's Playground? It's slow, up close and personal, and smaller-ish..
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Shrunkland is small, too. People think it's slow (it's really not, relative to arena size). And it's definitely up-close competition. It also preceded Nano's Playground by about a year. Indeed, Shrunkland was the smallest server of its time when it first went up, and continues to be one of, if not the, smallest. But no one ever went around calling any server with a small arena or low rubber "Shrunk mode." Nor should they. Physics settings are not a game mode. Game modes: Free for All, Last Man Standing, Fortress, Sumo, CTF, even Dogfight (the rules, not physics). None of these are defined by the physics.* "High Rubber" is not a game mode, either.

Now, on the other hand, Shrunkland was, at least for a time, under the umbrella of the "Breakfast" banner/franchise—as it's still categorized in the subforum. That is, a handful of servers that were all derivatives of the original Breakfast of Champions. Breakfast Burrito, Breakfast in Hell, and the original Swampland (not to be confused with Mud Puddle) were, at least for a time, under that moniker as well. Not only derived, but all these servers shared, at least for a time**, a common "philosophy" about game characteristics. However, no one would ever call "Breakfast" a game mode. The common game mode was "Free for All."

Get it?

And just to reiterate, this server isn't anything like Nano's Playground, anyway. Even if you wanted to call it a "mode," which you shouldn't because it isn't.

"Don't make such a big deal out of it." I'm not. It's just stupid. Stop being stupid with terms!

* This, despite the fact the current generation of players (who go back to about '06) are so absent creativity, so entrenched and resistant to variation, that all the Fortress, Sumo, and CTF servers are all but clones of each other where physics are concerned. Nonetheless, those two game modes are defined by the zone behavior, not the physics.

** "At least for a time," until eggcozy declared that they weren't in keeping with the Breakfast philosophy anymore.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Phytotron wrote:Shrunkland is small, too. People think it's slow (it's really not, relative to arena size). And it's definitely up-close competition.
This is a pet peeve of mine. Tron is played on a mathematical plane, using mathematical points and lines. Those don't have an intrinsic size. There is only fast and slow relative to the amount of space. If it looks slow due to the scale of the graphics, just imagine your cycle is a monstrous steam locomotive, building a humongous wall behind it.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I was thinking to myself "you know, I remember messing with this small arena stuff years ago" but I couldn't really remember many of the details. I believe I was screwing around with the settings on Classic Play and found something which seemed awesome, but there weren't any servers of.

A little bit of searching, and holy moly, I did create a server. Tigers Network Mini Play. Not something which ever really caught on at the time, but I was there doing it, in 2004, nearly 8 years ago. Ah, the good old days, when I had nothing but interest in Tron to occupy my time. Back when there had only ever been one tournament, and that was only really an attempt. Still, that's there where the Tigers name came from, which I had my servers take. I wonder if I still even have half of those settings around any more...

</memory lane>
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Phyto is right. Anywhere else, like CT servers, Nano is referred to as Nano physics, not nano mode. It may seem like mere semantics, but semantics are important.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Jonathan wrote:This is a pet peeve of mine. ... If it looks slow due to the scale of the graphics....
Not just the scale of the graphics, but the actual CYCLE_SPEED value. People look at their speedometer and think, "geez, base speed is only 10, OMG SO SLOW." I've been meaning forever to go around to various servers, especially those people think are fast, and time how long it takes to go from one side to the other (both at base speed and an average), then compare it to Shrunkland. I'm betting Shrunkland would be equivalent if not even take less time than some. I realise this could also be figured mathematically if you know the size factor and CYCLE_SPEED, but I don't know the maths.
Tank Program wrote:A little bit of searching, and holy moly, I did create a server.
Ah, before my time. :) I don't suppose you have the settings shelved away somewheres? There was an old Shrunkland regular named Coffeee who made a fun little server called "Dance of the Cats - Mini." You can see on page two that its SIZE_FACTOR was -8.
compguygene wrote:Phyto is right. Anywhere else, like CT servers, Nano is referred to as Nano physics, not nano mode. It may seem like mere semantics, but semantics are important.
That's still odd to me, unless maybe it's identical settings.

But I've ranted about this before. Trigger Warning: "gimmicky game mode" content :P :
Phytotron wrote:Fortress, sumo, and CTF are defined by the code that applies to the behaviour of the zones. The physics are separate and arbitrary, and, not incidentally, preceded those game modes by years—that's what used to distinguish different servers. There's no particular reason behind this mentality that the new generation of players (and it is generational) have developed that inextricably binds the game mode to the game physics.

And what's even more nonsensical is when this bleeds over into regular free-for-all/deathmatch-type servers. Someone comes into Shrunkland and says, "this is like a cross between nano and sumo." Say what? We'll nevermind that Shrunkland's existence preceded both of those; that simply makes no sense. Or, that ID server that was just a regular free-for-all server, but was billed as a cross between fortress and CTF, and for training thereof. Wait, what? Or, yesterday I popped into Agility's high rubber testing server and someone says, "these are like CTF binds." Huh? Putting aside the obvious misuse of the term "binds," and replacing it with the more accurate "turn delay," there's no such thing as "CTF turn delay." There's CTF, and then there's CYCLE_DELAY. That a popular CTF server(s?) happens to use a low turn delay is just coincidence. There's no reason a CTF server couldn't have a different delay, or rubber, or speed, etc, and still be CTF in every fundamental way. One is a game mode, the second is a physics setting. Likewise, "high rubber" and "low rubber" are no more game modes than speed, acceleration, wall length, brake value, explosion radius, or arena size are game modes. Get it?

Ironically, this new generation of players and server admins who have so embraced all these gimmicky game modes—who can't think of any other way to "innovate" than to cram in all other manner of unrelated and superfluous gimmicks—are the most resistant to any change to or variety in said game modes. Plain old free-for-all-style servers have had more variety over the history of this game, for real.
Hey, gotta gimme some credit for laying off the "gimmick" hammer since then.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Phytotron wrote:
Jonathan wrote:This is a pet peeve of mine. ... If it looks slow due to the scale of the graphics....
Not just the scale of the graphics, but the actual CYCLE_SPEED value. People look at their speedometer and think, "geez, base speed is only 10, OMG SO SLOW." I've been meaning forever to go around to various servers, especially those people think are fast, and time how long it takes to go from one side to the other (both at base speed and an average), then compare it to Shrunkland. I'm betting Shrunkland would be equivalent if not even take less time than some. I realise this could also be figured mathematically if you know the size factor and CYCLE_SPEED, but I don't know the maths.
That's what I'm saying. If you double all speed and size settings, you get identical gameplay. The only real difference is that objects only look half as large, or twice as fast relative to their size. If you loaded larger models and such you wouldn't see a difference at all. So that's why I deliberately called this 'false speed' a graphical scale factor.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

If you double the size and the speed you still get different gameplay because the rubber and turn delay settings don't usually scale with it ;)