Fort and Sumo Time Change

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
mrnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Fort and Sumo Time Change

Post by mrnoodles »

Hi there, as some of you know im from Australia and the timezones greatly effect tron tournaments. This is a long shot and I already know the majority of you will have the mindset "why would we change it for a few players" but what the hell.

The current time for tournaments is a Sunday i believe, for everyone else in the world, however its a monday for Aussies, at 4 am. I was wondering if it were possible to change the times for sumo and fort tournaments to a saturday for you guys and a sunday for Aussies.

Alot of you are fort crazy and no doubt will not want to change those times, which stinks buuuuut I play sumo alot and would love to participate in atleast one sumobar tournament for example. And im not the only one, im sure Camaro, Mew, Had and a few others would like to make some of these matches too.

Opinions?
dreadlord
Match Winner

Re: Fort and Sumo Time Change

Post by dreadlord »

Well, I was talking to Noodles about this and I agree, it sucks that a few players can't play in sumo and fort tournaments at all only because they live in Australia. I assume that the majority would be against changing the day ladles are played from sunday to saturday, but we should at least host a sumo tournament on a saturday then to make it possible for Australian players to take part in tournaments as well. As an alternative we could also host the ladle on a saturday two times in a year and ten times on a sunday so players like Noodles could play in a ladle at least twice a year.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

How about a different, Saturday Fort tournament instead? It can be pick-up settings or something like that.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

sinewav wrote:How about a different, Saturday Fort tournament instead? It can be pick-up settings or something like that.
We don't really need MORE tournaments. Ladle is one of the few actually worth winning (for those of us who haven't won one yet ;) ). While I can sympathise with you noodles, I can't see some players changing the date. I myself wouldn't mind though if it came to a vote :)
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, a Saturday slot also has advantages for Europeans. No work/school the next day a late-running ladle may conflict with. And if it's a once or twice a year thing, Superbowl Sunday would offer itself up as one of the Sundays to skip. Just saying.
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Z-Man wrote:Well, a Saturday slot also has advantages for Europeans. No work/school the next day a late-running ladle may conflict with. And if it's a once or twice a year thing, Superbowl Sunday would offer itself up as one of the Sundays to skip. Just saying.
Yeah, good point. I think for the time being it would be an acceptable compromise to play on a Saturday twice a year, which is not that much but an opportunity for Noodles & co to play. Should we have a vote on this?
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

dreadlord wrote:...to play on a Saturday twice a year, which is not that much...
well that's already 1/6 out of 12 ladles and I'm sure there are more events where playing on a saturday would be better/acceptable for everyone

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Sine might be on to something here, what day is pickup most active? The day before the ladle where having 2 games at once (4 teams) is relatively common. If on that day if you could !add a
for a tourney (other games started wouldn't remove you from it), that would create a makeshift fortress brawl once a month. The ladle servers would all be up by then so leeching the servers wouldn't be a problem. We could start maybe with a 24 person setup and then expand it if there's more interest.

On another note, there's more to fort than ladle. Ladle is probably the most meaningless tourney just because of the frequency it's played. Fort cup, fort cafe, 4way fort, wild fort, are all nice alternatives which could be on a Saturday. Also id like to see an annual fort tourney which is played over the course of a month (like march madness) maybe double elimination 4v4 fort or something. That'd be interesting.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

I'd love to some more 4way fort tournaments!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

People are more likely to have plans on a Saturday night, though I suppose once or twice a year wouldn't hurt.
Matoso
Average Program

Post by Matoso »

noodles iz boss let him plai kthx
Albert Einstein wrote:"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

a sort of fortress brawl tournament on the saturday before every other ladle?

the fortress brawl was an event in which captains drafted players, pickup style.
mrnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by mrnoodles »

everything so far sounds good, if the times cant be changed the suggestion of a few tournies hosted on saturdays sounds great.

matoso <3
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

yaya a (possibly more casual) tournament day before ladle to get ready sounds gud
red
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

there always seems to be tons of activity the day before the ladle. I know a lot of people don't want to play tron all weekend and there's a lot of weekends some people don't want to play tron, but there's also a lot of people who do want to play the day before the ladle.

I like the idea of doing a captains-pick tournament for several reasons.
  • It ensures that everyone who wants to play can play. No one will be without a team.
  • It gives players who might be eliminated earlier in the Ladle a chance to play in highly competitive games, and play deep into a tournament
  • It gives everyone opportunities to play with and against different players than they will see in the Ladle