Lag troubles?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
xtrapoint
Average Program

Lag troubles?

Post by xtrapoint »

My server doesn't have any problems, oh except one... every body ends up being laggy!(even with only two people) is there any settings I have that are laggy or are there any settings i should add to make it less laggy?
BTW here are settings

####################
### Map Settings ###
####################

MAP_FILE_OVERRIDE 0
SERVER_NAME 0xbgfdfk Higher Rubber-Higher Speed 0xff8000Dogfight
MESSAGE_OF_DAY This is tight dogfight meaning you can touch walls (just don't stab, camp, dig, rim ,backdoor, use high rubber moves for example sealing or plugging( if you must do it then make it loose), and don't grind more than 3 times when attacking.) Kicking should only be done if a person doesn't follow rules intentionally.
WIN_ZONE_DEATHS 1
WIN_ZONE_EXPANSION 30
WIN_ZONE_MIN_ROUND_TIME 200
WIN_ZONE_MIN_LAST_DEATH 0
WIN_ZONE_RANDOMNESS 0
MAX_CLIENTS 8
ZONE_HEIGHT 5
TEAMS_MIN 1
TEAMS_MAX 8
TEAM_MIN_PLAYERS 1
TEAM_MAX_PLAYERS 1
SIZE_FACTOR -3
TALK_TO_MASTER 1

############################
### Scoring Distribution ###
############################

LIMIT_ROUNDS 10
LIMIT_SCORE 31
SCORE_DIE 0
SCORE_KILL 1
SCORE_SUICIDE 0
SCORE_WIN 5
SCORE_DEATHZONE 0

######################
### Cycle Settings ###
######################

ARENA_AXES 4
CYCLE_START_SPEED 0
CYCLE_SYNC_FF 20
CYCLE_RUBBER 20
CYCLE_RUBBER_LEGACY 0
WALLS_LENGTH 850
CYCLE_DELAY .04
CYCLE_BRAKE_DEPLETE 0
CYCLE_BRAKE_REFILL .5
CYCLE_SPEED 23
CYCLE_BRAKE 4
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 3.5
CYCLE_PING_RUBBER 5
CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE 0.001
CYCLE_ACCEL 6

##############################
### Single Player Settings ###
##############################

SP_EXPLOSION_RADIUS 2
SP_GAME_TYPE 1
SP_SCORE_WIN 0
SP_SIZE_FACTOR -3
SP_WALLS_LENGTH 1000
SP_MIN_PLAYERS 1
SP_TEAMS_MIN 1
SP_TEAMS_MAX 8
SP_NUM_AIS 3
SP_TEAM_MIN_PLAYERS 1
SP_TEAM_MAX_PLAYERS 1
SP_AUTO_AIS 0
SP_AUTO_IQ 0
SP_LIMIT_TIME 5
SP_MIN_PLAYERS 1
--They say nobody is perfect, then they say practice makes perfect. I wish they would make up their minds.
--The less people speak of their greatness, the more we think of it.
--Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
--I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.
--The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
--There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."
--It doesn't matter what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.
--You can't have everything in the world, where would you put it?
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Lag troubles?

Post by Hoax »

Are you hosting it on your own computer or a rented server? Need more information as I doubt it's because of game settings
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

xtrapoint wrote: .. settings ...
1. CYCLE_START_SPEED 0
2. CYCLE_SYNC_FF 20
1. Hmm... having cycles start with speed 0 sounds like a bad idea which may cause buggy behaviour. Maybe set this to 5 or something.
2. This will eat some resources but it shouldn't cause lag with 2 players only.

To determine if the lag is caused by lack of resources, monitor your system's resources, if the CPU usage is very high, the server won't run smooth.
If this is the case, try reducing the usage with

Code: Select all

CYCLE_SYNC_FF 10
DEDICATED_FPS 40
and have some players test it.

If it then still lags a lot, it's your connection (aka bad luck :|).
Then you could maybe try

Code: Select all

LAG_CREDIT 1.0
LAG_CREDIT_TIME 150
to at least make the lag have less impact. These worked on my test server as well so I'd recommend those either way ;)
Scofield!
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Scofield! »

Isn't DEDICATED_FPS 40 by default anyway ?
Try DEDICATED_FPS 70 and PING_CHARITY_SERVER 100
Those settings helped for me when i was running a server from my computer but tbh if it is from a computer, it will always have lag !

Do you know what works though ? ARENA_AXES 8 for some reason lag isn't as much of a problem even when the pings are high :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

vov wrote:
xtrapoint wrote: .. settings ...
1. CYCLE_START_SPEED 0
1. Hmm... having cycles start with speed 0 sounds like a bad idea which may cause buggy behaviour. Maybe set this to 5 or something.
Nope, it's perfectly fine. Start speed ramps right up to basic CYCLE_SPEED at the beginning of the round, the rate at which determined by CYCLE_SPEED_DECAY_BELOW (which I assume he left at default, also fine).

Give us the answer to Hoax's question. Worst-case scenario, you're misguidedly hosting from the client. Next worse might be you're using the dedicated server, but on wireless. (Or maybe you're on the moon or something.)

Your worst problem, however, is _RUBBER 20.
Scofield!
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Scofield! »

@Phytotron No offence intended but rubber was made to counter lag so....................... You be trippin my friend
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

Hoax wrote:Are you hosting it on your own computer or a rented server? Need more information as I doubt it's because of game settings
I use my own computer, I hope that helps.
--They say nobody is perfect, then they say practice makes perfect. I wish they would make up their minds.
--Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
--The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
--There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Scofield! wrote:@Phytotron No offence intended but rubber was made to counter lag so....................... You be trippin my friend
A little bit of rubber was created for that purpose. A lot of rubber, added for the sake of game mechanics (as 20 rubber can only be) creates its own bag of new laggy problems.

xtrapoint: its specs? And how is it connected to the internet? What else are you doing while people play?
Home hosting can work all right, but you need a decent upstream bandwidth and you need to make sure enough of it (and downstream) and the PC's CPU power are left for the game. No downloading unless you set download rate limits for *everyone* on your home network, for example. And to be a successful server, it needs to be online all of the time, unless you just intend to use it with friends on appointments. For general purpose public servers, we've all been spoiled by the comfort that servers hosted on dedicated machines in some server farm provide.
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

Z-Man wrote:
Scofield! wrote:@Phytotron No offence intended but rubber was made to counter lag so....................... You be trippin my friend
A little bit of rubber was created for that purpose. A lot of rubber, added for the sake of game mechanics (as 20 rubber can only be) creates its own bag of new laggy problems.

xtrapoint: its specs? And how is it connected to the internet? What else are you doing while people play?
Home hosting can work all right, but you need a decent upstream bandwidth and you need to make sure enough of it (and downstream) and the PC's CPU power are left for the game. No downloading unless you set download rate limits for *everyone* on your home network, for example. And to be a successful server, it needs to be online all of the time, unless you just intend to use it with friends on appointments. For general purpose public servers, we've all been spoiled by the comfort that servers hosted on dedicated machines in some server farm provide.
Macbook, 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo (pretty much the standard with nothing added) 2GB memory,Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared w/ main memory. Hard Drive= 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm and l2 cache 3 mb. The internet is through a portable connection from the USB (clear). I only keep it up at times when I'm using it (it's not dedicated). Hope that helps some more :D
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

xtrapoint wrote:The internet is through a portable connection from the USB (clear).
Portable? If that means what I think it means (not only wireless, but even cell phone network mobile access), that would be no good. For a server, anything but a cable connection is plain no good. And the bandwidth available would also matter.

And it's a notebook. They tend to have aggressive power management schemes and may throttle the CPU down at odd times. And when you're using it, well, even simple flash video playback can use up a surprising amount of computational power. You'd definitely need to configure it to give high priority to the server process and the OS core handling network (or lower priority to other applications) and to not base its power saving decisions on user behaviour. No clue how you do that on a Mac, though.
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

Z-Man wrote:
xtrapoint wrote:The internet is through a portable connection from the USB (clear).
Portable? If that means what I think it means (not only wireless, but even cell phone network mobile access), that would be no good. For a server, anything but a cable connection is plain no good. And the bandwidth available would also matter.

And it's a notebook. They tend to have aggressive power management schemes and may throttle the CPU down at odd times. And when you're using it, well, even simple flash video playback can use up a surprising amount of computational power. You'd definitely need to configure it to give high priority to the server process and the OS core handling network (or lower priority to other applications) and to not base its power saving decisions on user behaviour. No clue how you do that on a Mac, though.
Actually you can (I suppose me posting this would pretty much close this thread to having more comments but oh well) there is a program called ProcessRenicer which can manage priorities for applications. Just a note for people who may have this problem.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

What about this?
Z-Man wrote:
That would be the first thing I'd try to change.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

Jonathan wrote:What about this?
Z-Man wrote:
That would be the first thing I'd try to change.
I'm not changing internet again for something I do just for fun :? . But thanks for the help anyways.