Servers - Bandwidth Requirement

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Servers - Bandwidth Requirement

Post by Majination »

I'm curious to know the downstream/upstream speeds capable of those of you who are running servers, and what kind of lag issues you might have had upon reaching a certain number of players on the server.

I have a 1.5MBit/128KBit ADSL connection, and am wondering whether or not it is worth trying. I'm thinking it's too slow. Your connection speeds and experiences would be appreciated.
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

I have a 3 Mbit download and 256 Kbit upload cable connection through Adelphia. It seems to work good for serving.

So, I think you'd be ok with yours. Never hurts to try. You could always limit the number of players to 6 or so. Keep the load low if you have concerns. :wink:

For the tournaments, I'm tempted to make it 3 on 3, rather than 4 on 4. Potential lag would be one of the reasons for adopting this change.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Anything more than 127kbps in either direction is enough. The more the better, but, 128kbps will do it. That's what MAX_IN_RATE MAX_OUT_RATE and MAX_CLIENTS are there for, so you can host with limited bandwith.