Usergroups?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Usergroups?

Post by INW »

Is there a way I can give certain users specific commands?

I know I can rename a current usergroup such as the number 1 (Admins) and rename that to lets say (Blah).

How would I go about doing this?

Also, should there be a way to give a certain user (INW@forums) specific "rights"? Lets say I want INW to be able to do everything except kick people...how would I go about doing this?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Usergroups?

Post by Phytotron »

You change text in english_base.txt, but as has already been discussed regarding the PRU clan's silly renaming of authentications statuses in its servers (the mafia-related titles), it would be preferable not to do so. No one is going to know what they mean. Authentication levels serve a generalised practical purpose, and changing their names would be unnecessary obfuscation for the sake of vanity.

The answer to your second question is in the authentication.cfg, although, man, whoever wrote that is not a good writer, at least not for popular consumption. Might be appropriate for a technical manual. Stuff is cryptic. Anyway, sum-up is, authentication provides several USER_LEVEL(s), each with its own capabilities, and can be assigned to specific usernames. Read up on that.
INW

Post by INW »

O wow, why thank you very much phyto.

I looked at the wiki pages and took a look at settings_authentication.cfg.

I am not completely understanding exactly how I can change user_level 0 from "Owner" to "Hoster".

Do I need to edit that file and then save it where? The lines in that file that show the user_level "names" are commented out so it is not the direct file I need to edit to change that?

Of course AI knows, I wonder if I should ask him exactly how to do this.

Edit: I noticed this post searching the forums! http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... user_level

I should edit the english_base_no_translate file. Hmmm.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:The answer to your second question is in the authentication.cfg, although, man, whoever wrote that is not a good writer, at least not for popular consumption. Might be appropriate for a technical manual. Stuff is cryptic.
That's what you generally get when programmers document their own systems. We tend to describe what stuff does, not how it can be used to achieve common things users may want to do with it. Feel free to improve on it.

And the system is a bit limited, it's purely access level based. Users get access levels, activities get access levels, and if the user's access level is at least the access level of the activity, that user can perform that activity. You can change all those access levels, but you can't make exceptions. You can't have user A be able to perform activity C, but not D, and user B be able to do D and not C. So if you really want to have someone be able to perform everything but kick, you need to restrict kicks in general; anyone able to kick would need to be able to do anything else as well. I'm pretty sure you don't want that.
INW

Post by INW »

In changing the name of a user_level, I should edit and complete the line as:

Code: Select all

config_access_0 Host
And save that in the english_base_notranslate.txt file. But where do I save that file? My server's var folder? Or do I save it here: /home/armagetronad/etc/games/armagetronad-dedicated?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Just leave it where it is?
INW

Post by INW »

Well I couldn't find the file to begin with so I figured I had to create it.

Well I just found it. Will just save it there.