unable to install armagetronad 0.2.8.3.1 (libpng)

For the help you need with the old versions, 0.2.6.1 and down.
prospere
On Lightcycle Grid

unable to install armagetronad 0.2.8.3.1 (libpng)

Post by prospere »

Hello, I would like to install Armagetronad on my linux X86-64 system. so I have seted up the missing dependence : libpng 1.4.4( the lastest version) from ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/libpng/ ... 4.4.tar.gz

and then I have made ./configure make make install. succesfully.

but when I launch armagetronad No text and no drawn appear: only rectangle shap on grey screen.
and bash print me

Code: Select all

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.4.3
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.44
libpng warning: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
why Armageronad who know he was compilled with libpng-1.4.3 still try to run with libpng-1.2.44 althought
-he is aware that he was compilled with libpng-1.4.3 so that he have to run with the same library
-I never installed libpng-1.2.44 on 64 bits arch so the only possiility is to run with libpng-1.4.3 because it is the unic version.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: unable to install armagetronad 0.2.8.3.1 (libpng)

Post by Z-Man »

Welcome to Linux dynamic linker hell. What very probably happened here is that libSDL_Image is linked to libpng 1.2, so that gets pulled in by the dynamic linker instead of libpng 1.4. Both versions define the same symbols, and it's not specified which win. So what you need to do is: either install libSDL_Image from source, compiling it against libpng 1.4 as well (which will, of course, cause trouble in other places for applications linked against libSDL_Image and libpng 1.2) or just scratch libpng 1.4 and stick to 1.2.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Re: unable to install armagetronad 0.2.8.3.1 (libpng)

Post by /dev/null »

What distro are you using? A lot of distros allow multiple versions of a single program exist side by side now. And if you bypassed the distros installer, the configure script can easily be confused as hell.