Best Defender - 2010?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Best Defender - 2010?

Post by compguygene »

Titanoboa wrote:
compguygene wrote:All I will say about Unk is this, a team that sinewav joined and fits in at. I always knew if sine ever joined a team, it would be a winner, just like Plus, the team that sine joined!
fixed
:oops: ty Titan!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

the best def is the rim wall.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

QFT!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:Luffy taught me about 70% of what i know about CTF def, and sine taught me another %20.
Oh? And what was it you learned from me? You know I wrote the book on defense in CTF, literally... ;)

Sadly, I never fully adapted to Fort defense from CTF. I was hyper aggressive in CTF and my style does not translate well to Fortress. I'm pretty much a failure at Fort defense IMO. Then again, I never really wanted to be a Goalie, so I guess I'm honored to get mentioned at all.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

It's my fault, mostly. And yours for succeeding.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

sinewav wrote:I'm pretty much a failure at Fort defense IMO.
Heh I disagree. You have a unique style, and I've seen you do some incredible stuff from time to time. In fact watching you def is fun, and usually motivates me.
sinewav wrote:I never really wanted to be a Goalie
Didn't know that D:
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
compguygene wrote:Luffy taught me about 70% of what i know about CTF def, and sine taught me another %20.
Oh? And what was it you learned from me? You know I wrote the book on defense in CTF, literally... ;)

Sadly, I never fully adapted to Fort defense from CTF. I was hyper aggressive in CTF and my style does not translate well to Fortress. I'm pretty much a failure at Fort defense IMO. Then again, I never really wanted to be a Goalie, so I guess I'm honored to get mentioned at all.

Sine. Please do NOT be offended. The 20% I learned from your book was the most important 20% I have ever learned about def in ctf and fort! Before I read your book, and asked your advice, my def always sucked, but I kinda new what to do.
After the book, I glance about a gazillion times more in all game modes and focus on "controlling space"! Luffy taught me many things about ctf that I have never been able to fullly pull off. Since I only play CTF and CTFS occaisionally I will probably never master them. But, I have noticed that as I get better in Fort/sumo/shrunkland/bih, I get betters at any tron server I play in!
I really do apologize if you feel slighted in how I characterized your contribution to my tron "career".
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:I really do apologize if you feel slighted in how I characterized your contribution to my tron "career".
Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all. I was just curious what, if anything, you got from me. I put a lot of time into writing about strategies and techniques (more than most player, but no where close to the volume Concord writes), and it's nice to know someone gets something out of it.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Those three strategies didn't just affect the way I def. They affected the way I play and view the game! For me it was a bit of a paradigm shift.
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

Honestly, whoever came up with the step defense deserves best defender. Even though it gets annoying, for 2010 that was the best def strategy in my opinion. So whoever you are

Congratulations!
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

The step defense has been around for a long time, and close variants of it have been around for even longer. It's not a 2010 or even a 2009 invention.
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

since i been playing fort, it has barely been used and it was just recently brought up in my eyes.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I first heard of the step defense in 2008, and was told it was older than that.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

http://playfortress.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/transcript-of-nostalgia/ wrote: 05:30 <Lucifer> I think that my team and I managed to figure out all the fundamentals that are now in use in about 6 hours
05:31 <Lucifer> it's weird, because oscilloscope (now Phytotron) was the defender for my team....
and, http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 721#p36721

I don't know when the term "step defense" came about, but if you just mean a zig-zagged circle like I've seen so many people doing, keeping just inside the end of their tail (with varying precision), that goes back to round about the time of that post. I remember hang3r and I doing it together, one encircling the other in opposite directions. It was like Star Castle! :lol:
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

The step-defense is the closest thing to a slightly rotated square really (except for the corners you only make 'steps' towards the outside), and I am pretty sure it's something different than you're talking about pytho.

If I recall correct durka has been mentioned as the one who invented it when this discussion came up before. First time I've seen it used competitively was in the AFL fall season by sagelord, which was in 2007.