Random videos thread

Anything About Anything...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Random videos thread

Post by Phytotron »

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Nub
Average Program

Post by Nub »

Word wrote:How Animals Eat Their Food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnydFmqH ... ture=share
I died, so hilarious!

This is an older video I found a while back, that cracks me up every time I watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lmkm5EF5E
Image Image Image Image
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

This would fit in with "What are you listening to right now" as well:
Som Sabadell flashmob
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
Word

Post by Word »

Nub, I'm not sure why, but your video reminds me of that old Davy Crockett movie (especially the music).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!
Louisville_National_Championship_Basketball_Wallpaper_2013.png
Louisville 2013 National Championship Celebration Begins

I've been trying to find quality video of the team, led by Peyton Siva (#3), singing along to "We Are The Champions," but this is the only thing I've been able to turn up so far. Annoyingly shaky, as these things are wont to be, but full-screen HQ, watching the big screen you can see it well enough. Photo of the moment:
Two of those dudes never played a minute, heh.
Two of those dudes never played a minute, heh.

Shame the women couldn't pull out their championship game, but that's the result of the disparity in the women's game. Still, that's what made the Lady Cards' run through the tournament so special—who they went through, and in the fashion they did so, in order to get to the final. Truly, it was the most incredible, improbable, unexpected, unprecedented, extraordinary, exciting run in women's tournament history—and one of the most such in men's or women's. Indeed, the 2013 women's tourney should be, and I predict shall be, best remembered for Louisville's run instead of for the actual champions. How often can you say that about the runner-up? Special. Party crashers!
And we're good lookin', too.
And we're good lookin', too.
And most of you probably don't care about all this. But I don't care, because I'm celebrating everyWare! (Better off muting that one.)

Have you ever witnessed an entire city celebrating? A little cruising footage just in my part of town. It was like that everywhere, some places larger. Bonus bicycle cops.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Phytotron wrote:as these things are wont to be
The feeling when you think Phytotron finally made a weird grammar mistake and you google just to be sure, and it turns out to be fine.

Screw you and your perfect English! (On a related note thank you for expanding my vocabulary yet again)

Also, congratulations that your team won!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Finally, after a year in the making, the first installment has arrived of Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs Women in Video Games. Damsels in Distress: Part 1.

Actually, it's been out for two months, but I only just noticed.
Last edited by Phytotron on Wed May 08, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word

Post by Word »

I'm currently writing a plot for a video game, if anyone is interested - I already sold the raw idea and got royalties promised. I guess I can't reveal details at this point, but I'm trying to deconstruct certain clichés. But I didn't even think of adding a female character until now. Perhaps my general story is still a bit too shallow for my own taste, but I'm working on that. They want the gameplay similar to Heavy Rain, although I doubt we can reach the same graphic standard.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Love triangle, trust me, everyone loves a love triangle. :wink:
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

No. Just, no.

Word, have your game pass the Bechdel Test:

1. It has to have at least two women in it (who have names),
2. who talk to each other,
3. about something besides a man.

There's also the variation:

1. It has to have two named People of Color in it,
2. who talk to each other,
3. about something other than a white person.

There's the addendum that Rule #2 should be met by more than a few throwaway seconds or lines. It should surpass 60 seconds (still a low bar) and be substantive, in having some relevance to the story.
Word

Post by Word »

Thanks, I'll try to find a place for that.

The problem I have with both of that is that the story is about something that is traditionally more of a White-man thing (think of a female protagonist in 'The Name of the Rose', which is about a medieval monks' problem to reconcile science with his belief), though most of them are portrayed as fanatics. The hero is white because he is one of them. If I had to add females or black guys it'd be difficult not to make them a damsel in distress or the 'buddy'/sidekick of the main character. I have an idea for a funny plot twist at the ending, which involves Asians filling the vacuum that is left by the old white men (this is in the context of the plot meant to be more of a hopeful ending rather than a dystopia for racists, though), and perhaps one of them is important thoughout the game, but not necessarily more sympathetic.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

One of the greatest things I've ever seen. Colonel Chris Hadfield's cover of "Space Oddity" by David Bowie. Those familiar with the original video will enjoy this even more.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Awesome. Can't believe I've never heard that song before, it's got many of my favorite chords. Love it.
Nub
Average Program

Post by Nub »

Chris Hadfield is one cool astronaut. His experiment videos are really fun to watch too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMtXfwk7PXg
Image Image Image Image