New Server Deal. $5 a month!

Something else for Armagetron? Goody!
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: New Server Deal. $5 a month!

Post by INW »

well he is renting an $80 server in texas so it could actually be a dedicated server.

I suppose u know a lot more about servers than me so ill take your word on it until i find out the exact type.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Just a warning to anyone new... at least one Armagetron hoster (might not be this particular one, I forget who it was) is using "pirated" software for their stuff and dishonest methods to sell their servers (as hinted at earlier, the particular person abused his limited moderator access to edit one of z-man's posts to endorse him).

On the topic of Xen, I found that it significantly harms gameplay due to the overhead of the virtualization.

Disclaimer: I am a competitor in both these categories. I rent out cheap (but not this cheap) Armagetron hosting and Virtual Private Servers (OpenVZ technology, which doesn't have the problems Xen does); see http://lightfoot.dashjr.org/ if you want more details on this
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Phytotron wrote:I want a free set of steak knives and a tin of car scratch filler (to go in my tackle box) or the deal is off.
I love how you complain about armagetron server list being full of spam servers, and then you spam the forums. XD
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Luke-Jr wrote:Just a warning to anyone new... at least one Armagetron hoster (might not be this particular one, I forget who it was) is using "pirated" software for their stuff and dishonest methods to sell their servers (as hinted at earlier, the particular person abused his limited moderator access to edit one of z-man's posts to endorse him).

On the topic of Xen, I found that it significantly harms gameplay due to the overhead of the virtualization.

Disclaimer: I am a competitor in both these categories. I rent out cheap (but not this cheap) Armagetron hosting and Virtual Private Servers (OpenVZ technology, which doesn't have the problems XEN does); see http://lightfoot.dashjr.org/ if you want more details on this
Disclaimer: I too am a competitor. To be precise, I have servers of my own that I pay for that are NOT part of WwHosting, but allow me to host as many GameServers as I want to for myself and very select others that I give Gameservers to as well. WwHosting is a hosting company that is mostly Destiny and Manta's servers, with the exception of a Dedicated Server in New York of mine that a few of our customers are hosted on. I have always considered XEN and inferior solution for the reasons that Luke mentions, as well as some other reasons. XEN servers are marketed primarily as a solution for websites of a certain size and scale. They are marketed on the basis of a "Guaranteed" amount of "Processor Power" being devoted to each Virtual Private Server. However, let me elaborate on the reasons why the XEN solution is weak, and even OpenVZ servers need to be properly managed to be good for a GameServer.
A GameServer is the MOST PROCESSOR INTENSIVE application that you can host. Also, each different online game has different specific requirements in terms of bandwidth, processor use, hard disk use, etc. This is why the "golden standard" for hosting GameServers is a Dedicated Server. Many people become confused about what XEN solutions really are, because they are sometimes marketed as a "Virtual Dedicated Server". That is a misleading term at best. The only exception to this that I have seen is a "Virtual Private Server" EDIT: "Real Private Server" from OVH http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/rps_offers.xml. I have one that is in France. A "Real Private Server" is a physical server whose hard disk is actually in a Storage Area Network. It is terrible for disk intensive applications. Let me explain this to you as follows. A garden variety tron server that is not scripted for additional functionality that uses a lot database access is not very hard disk intensive. So, this works very well for the kind of servers I am hosting in Europe. The Crazy Tronner servers would suck on such a "Real Private Server" because they are ones that use a lot of MySQL database access would not run very efficiently.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm