"Depth of grind"

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

"Depth of grind"

Post by Phytotron »

I'm wondering how to eliminate, or at least reduce as much as possible, the "depth of grind." Ideally, I want to achieve two states: either the cycle has touched and layed its wall up against another wall, or not. If a cycle's progress is stopped by rubber at a wall, that should be that, the end, no getting behind it no matter what. Even if cycle_rubber is 10, and I use 1 to make the initial grind, and you use 9.9, you shouldn't pass under.

Is this possible? I've fooled with several settings, but nothing I've tried accomplishes this.

The immediate application is for a new server on which sinewav and I have collaborated, called "Adventures of TRON: Original Arcade." Check it out. :D

However, I've wondered if this is possible for a long time, before this server ever came up. If it's doable, maybe some other folks will adopt it.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: "Depth of grind"

Post by DDMJ »

Yes, a setting for that kinda already exists:

Code: Select all

CYCLE_WIDTH
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Nah, that's not really what I'm looking for. I would still like to ability to lay one wall up against another, and I don't want any penalty, just no "depth" to grinds. I'm not crazy about how that setting is implemented, anyway (or haven't explored it enough).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Setting CYCLE_RUBBER_SPEED and CYCLE_RUBBER_MINADJUST to zero pretty much does what you want, but floating point inaccuracies will still let you slip through a grind every now and then, and you should use CYCLE_WIDTH anyway to kill the player off if that happens.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Ah, ok. I had set minadjust to 0, but had gone the other direction with _rubber_speed. We'll try those.

How about the _mindistance_preparation, unprepared, and reservoir? I had thought about zero'ing those out as well, but I still don't entirely understand the descriptions. Are they even relevant here?

If you look at the specific server in question, you'll notice we've set _mindistance to around 0.1, in part to mimic thicker walls. And I want them to stop dead right at that point, but we found you could push it a little further, by as much as half the distance—it's "spongey."
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The basic _mindistance doesn't matter much for the effect, you can tune the distance to the wall.
The complicated _mindistance settings should, indeed, be set to zero. They modify the grind distance according to stuff (like how much rubber is left), and you don't want that.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Ack. So, firstly, in the last post I meant that basic mindistance will be between 0.5 and 1 (not 0.1). We want that forced gap.

Secondly, setting _rubber_speed to 0 didn't work as anticipated, at least not for what's desired in this particular application. What would happen is as a cycle approached a wall, there were be a slight suggestion of mindistance in effect, then it would suddenly snap right to the wall. No gap left. I could increase mindistance to 5, and it still would snap to the wall. That snapping effect might be desirable for other servers, but what I would like is to retain that distance from the wall, and for it to be static—no ability to sit a little longer and get deeper.