15%
I play open
24%

Total votes: 78

fingerbib
Core Dumper

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by fingerbib »

Cheers is not and never has been an 'open play' server. Some players choose to play this way, but that is not the way the server owner intended. Open play is allowed but by no means enforced.

EDIT: maybe this is what you were looking for http://armagetron.co.uk/forum/index.php ... 697.0.html although you may need an account to view that. We'll discuss that with the server owner if that's the case.
he said.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Phytotron wrote: So, my question to whomever the admin of Cheers is: Is that officially a "DF/loose/open/no closing or sealing!" server or not? If it is, why is there not an explicit statement of that rule? If it is not, why do you allow your regulars to get away with that kind of crap?
There is no rule about closing/sealing on Cheers, but 90% plus of the "regulars" play open, so I guess it's a bit of a culture shock when someone comes in closing them all the time :/

And on admins - many have either migrated to sumo/fort or just don't play that much anymore, so there's often noone in there to silence anyone whining or whatever.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

fingerbib wrote:you may need an account to view that.
armagetron.co.uk wrote:The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with Armagetron.co.uk Forums.
Just confirming.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Right. If you're going to have server rules, you shouldn't:

A) Not mention them at all, and instead direct people to a webpage.
B) Be unspecific and vague about what that webpage is.
C) Bury the information somewhere.
D) Require people to create an account just to read the information.

You should:

A) State at least a general overview of the most important rules in the server description and/or MOD. If you want to elaborate on said rules, then...
B) Be specific with the URL of their location.
C) Make them obvious and easy-to-find on the page, if possible.
D) Make them public.

That's my advice.

With respect to the "open vs. closing" issue specifically, your regulars are obviously abusive toward people who don't play by their rules, even if it is the popular culture there. I know several people have experienced this (including myself) and consequently don't play there, solely or largely for that reason. To my mind that's an untenable situation. So, as a resolution to that, my recommendation would be to make some statement in the description and/or MOD regarding the actual "closing isn't forbidden" policy, and find some moderators who can keep an eye on your regulars. When they start up, they can be informed "there are no rules against closing here," and hopefully eventually the culture will shift to at least be more mutually respectful of "open vs. closed."

Or, alternatively, appease your 90% and officially declare it an "open play only" server. At least then people will know and be able to avoid it like the other 'DF' servers.

If it's a culture shock for someone to come in and start closing, think of it from the position of the person doing the closing when he's suddenly verbally assaulted and possibly kicked just for playing the game normally. Ya know.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

There was a general overview of the rules both when you enter the server, and every round before, unsure why it's changed, same with the forum, it used to be public.

The server rules aren't playing rules in any case.
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

The welcome message that used to state the basic rules and that provides the link to the full server- and gameplay-rules does indeed not show at the moment. Thanks for pointing that out, it will be dealt with, so check back soon. Also, I encouraged the forum administration to open all parts of the forum for guests to read again.

Relating to the "open vs closed" topic: Just yesterday I found that a Cheers server full of regulars who played more or less open (actually I found only one person softly complaining about being closed) congratulated a match winner who was (almost) constantly closing. He won a couple of matches, then left. So what?
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Phytotron wrote:A long post that I'm not going to quote.
Scroll up and read Phytotron's most recent post.

A few reasons why officially making it an "open play" server is a bad idea:

1. There are still 10% of the players who will now have to move to yellow sub or change their playing style.
2. Players will waste way too much time worrying about not closing.
3. Many more ingame fights will rise up due to players not reading the rules, or closing by mistake.

Also, I think the point of the server is just to be a fun, carefree, tron server.

As it is right now it's one of the two most popular servers on tron (not sure if yellow sub is more popular), I see no reason to make changes.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Should be visible to guests now on armagetron.co.uk.

I'll send an e-mail to Angel and see if I can catch her on there about a couple of things that have been brought up, not about turning it into an only open server, as I haven't seen her on msn or tron in a couple of weeks.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Sidenote, I was playing in Cheers a few weeks back under my anonymous noob name and I closed and about 10 people started flaming me.

"I HOPE YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY DIES BECAUSE YOU ARE CLOSING YOU DUMB ****"

I was shocked and apalled, lulz! :D
qRt.mike.huePn
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by qRt.mike.huePn »

hi all :)

I play open on middlerubber servers because :
- it is friendly (maybe closing is like a tackle to me)
- it forces to control every turn and offers personal challenges
- it's close to 1982 tron movie
- rubber is only a safety against lag spikes (I like to play on lowrubber servers but I die 50% of time cose of mini-spikes of electronic wind)

Cheers is particular :
It offers unlimited trails and you are not allowed to camp. (yellowsub is opposite : short trails and welcome to camp)
A player is considered as a camper when he doesnt really try to get "out" of a box, and just waits for winning some time.
A closer wants to make a box, but other players won't let him do, then the closer starts to speed.
The more he speeds, the more he approaches the rimwalls, the more the box gets big.

case 1 : space left in box is smaller than space left between box and rimwalls
In this case, the green player has to find more space, so he has to get out. If he doesn't try to get out, he is the camper.

case 2 : space left in box is bigger than space left between box and rimwalls
In this case, the white player has to find more space, because he is boxed between his walls and rimwalls, so he has to get in. If he doesn't try to get in, he is the camper.

so depends on situation/context but sometimes, closing = camping.
what a fight :)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

qRt.mike.huePn wrote:- it is friendly (maybe closing is like a tackle to me)
This is friendly too.
qRt.mike.huePn wrote:- it forces to control every turn and offers personal challenges
So i cannot control every of my turns when I close?
qRt.mike.huePn wrote:- it's close to 1982 tron movie
that's debatable...
qRt.mike.huePn wrote:- rubber is only a safety against lag spikes (I like to play on lowrubber servers but I die 50% of time cose of mini-spikes of electronic wind)
I think it's not the point how much rubber you use. When you box someone in, you naturally don't like to leave him out. You can use 2 rubber or less and still 'close' it.

Interim balance sheet: As you can see, it's always easy to find contrary opinions...
qRt.mike.huePn wrote:case 1 : ....
case 2: ...
Disagreed. It's both players' fault. A player is supposed to kill the other one, not to give him room to survive forever. If they are able to play forever like that without getting absorbed by a deathzone, it's also the server admin's fault (since the settings make this scenario possible - and can even encourage it).
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:
that's debatable
Well, there does seem to be a bit of "open" play and deliberate "mazing" in the movie. But they really were trying to kill each other and it was very serious. So, if you want to play open, you should really try to ill your opponent. (Like I do. Leave it open for a few turns, then seal, LOL! :twisted: )
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

:twisted: :skull:
qRt.mike.huePn
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by qRt.mike.huePn »

sinewav wrote:
Word wrote:
that's debatable
Well, there does seem to be a bit of "open" play and deliberate "mazing" in the movie. But they really were trying to kill each other and it was very serious. So, if you want to play open, you should really try to ill your opponent. (Like I do. Leave it open for a few turns, then seal, LOL! :twisted: )
I don't need to seal to kill... some of my open traps are much more difficult than a 9.5/10 seal.
they're just little doors between walls :) aim well !
I also like to be the cat who plays with the mouse just before it eats it.
Playing open doesnt mean I don't get point, I don't care getting points though.

@word : you don't control your bike moves perfectly, you control your rubber pêrfectly :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

qRt.mike.huePn wrote:I also like to be the cat who plays with the mouse just before it eats it.
Yeah, that sounds nice and friendly. :roll:
As does all the boasting, berating, and generally abusive chat that gets flung at those who don't play by your silly rules.

Camping is a myth. (And that's not sarcasm.)