Any ideas on racing?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Any ideas on racing?

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

I like racing in Armagetron more than any other mode. I also go for loose df, but it is rare anyone auctually plays loose. So, I mostly stick to racing. However, to race good, I need to memorize the track. I fail if I dont, every time. Anyone here got any suggestions on how to race freely? Because too many new tracks are up at stronners, and if I cant play it good soon I will become the :twisted: !
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Well, I'm not too familiar with $tronners racing, but I would suggest studying a preview of the map. The maps are in your user directory, or you can get them from http://www.animuson.com/arma/ and use a map previewer like this one (http://eddie.plantpeanuts.co.uk/maptool ... review.php) to generate a drawing of it. Then maybe you can print them out and hang them on your walls at home. That's what I would do anyway.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Thanks for the tips. It took me several months to memorize maps at DD Racing II to get good and I just don't want do that again. Sinwav, that is a good idea I couldn't think of. Thanks :)
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

I turn high rim off
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

XzL.Smart wrote:I turn high rim off
Yeah, that's a good idea too. However, some maps have the <wall height="n"> attribute specified, in which case that wouldn't work. I guess if you were adventurous (and had a good text editor) you could go into the map files and strip out the values, or replace them with your own.
Sparrow247

Re: Any ideas on racing?

Post by Sparrow247 »

no tronners has it so walls are what u set them

also go to www.tronner.com if that doesnt work go to www.animuson.com and click armastudio
it should be more of a black background
go to resource/s( somehtin long those lines) and you can see authors and their maps view previews and such aslos though you must have an account
~'NS. Mr O
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

Sparrow247 wrote:no tronners has it so walls are what u set them
you can still make the rims low:
edit the maps in arma local directory and change the height values to 3 or whatever you want

This trick will work until the server admin updates maps' version: in that case your client will download the new file and you'll need to edit that one
Now, you know this trick while most players don't, so you could play with low rims while the others can't, and feel cool 'cause you'll play the track very very better

might this considered cheating? yes ;)
that's why after a while I removed all height values from DD racing II maps, so that everybody (and not only arma "hackers") could choose whether to set high or low rim

So I believe all race maps should not contain any wall heigth value (perhaps just the outer walls), and I suggest you to talk with animuson about this matter, just to improve the server quality
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

hoop wrote: This trick will work until the server admin updates maps' version: in that case your client will download the new file and you'll need to edit that one
so i got bored, the wasn't any decent games on (with low rubber) so started looking around at old posts

Here is something usefull if you're using *nix:

chmod 755 mapfile

it means arma can't overwrite your map file but it may f*** up a lot if there are major changes.... I have no idea how the map system works so try at own risk
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

subby wrote:overwrite your map file
But if the updated map has a different version, it will download a new file with a different file name.