It's about time! Fortress AI

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

It's about time! Fortress AI

Post by Z-Man »

https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... ortress_ai

The approach is simple: The AIs are already quite generically programmed, so I just swapped their cycle target pointer with a more generic game object pointer and made the virtual functions queried by the AI return more sensible values (like, speed = 0). The team intelligence is built into the fortress zones; they instruct own team members to come defend and enemies to attack. Of course, the AIs mostly think they can kill the zones by trapping the center, which isn't quite right, and have no idea yet about the zone shape and that a defender is supposed to stay inside and stuff, but it's a start. Sumo works well for the first 5 seconds or so already, then the AIs decide to bugger off again and get eliminated.

Planned:
- make the defender see zone boundaries like 'soft' walls that it'll try to avoid.
- still better team management
- maybe, just maybe, have the buggers grind.

I don't think this will get as far as teaching a defender to chase its own tail or teaching the attackers to inject themselves into the defender's circle (although in theory some of the basic routines they already know could help them there.). The goal is just to make them at least try to play a decent game and to allow new players to learn the basic game rules by playing with them.

And yeah, I'm keeping CTF in mind. The same basic routines can be used there, you just replace 'defend/attack fortress' with 'defend/grab/recover/bring home flag'.

Finest moments so far on Fortress:
- one of the enemy AIs managed a center attack (well, not really difficult without the opponents grinding), caught me by surprise and pushed me out where I died.
- two attackers ganked me.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Awesome!

Code: Select all

22:31:04 < z-man> THEY FRIGGING GANKED ME
Also explains that...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

can you make AIs that can make a def with 4 players or steal the flag by holing (so that you can program them as atc, def and support)?
AI Teâm
Core Dumper

Post by AI Teâm »

why dont you make the chatbot better ??
that would be much more important i think!
Last edited by AI Teâm on Tue May 12, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If you don't mind that defenders get in each others way and teamkill, then sure, you can put four AIs on defense duty. That is going to be configurable. About holing, I don't think I'll be able to teach them how to do it well and in the right situations, so I probably won't.

And the chatbot is already better. It's just up to the server admin to unlock it. At full power, it's quite awesome. In fact, what I'm doing right now is factoring out the chatbot AI and use it by the regular AI. And you can get the source and build it yourself. Sorry, that's how it is with bleeding edge features.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

ignoring the zones, the current bot is a beast player when ramped up to full capacity and given 5 rubber.
Pathetique
Average Program

Post by Pathetique »

Concord wrote:ignoring the zones, the current bot is a beast player when ramped up to full capacity and given 5 rubber.
LOL Yeah it is. Especially wrtl's 1337 bot. I <3 being able to chat longer in sumo while being boxed in. xD
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Pathetique wrote:wrtl's 1337 bot
?
There's no place like ::1
Pathetique
Average Program

Post by Pathetique »

I was told you came up with the chatbot ai that have the features like CHATBOT_DECAY and CHATBOT_MIN_TIMESTEP and whatnot.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

No, that was z-man (If you're talking about the bot in the latest official alpha/beta builds, at least)
Pathetique
Average Program

Post by Pathetique »

Nope. Not the latest ones. I'm talking a few months back. I'll have to check out the newest ones. :)
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

nono, it was some time in the past (2006 in fact). All I was saying is that it's included in the official builds.

Oh, good job on the fortress AI, by the way :-)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Those bits that work are in a somewhat presentable state now, so I put a server with the predictable name "Botfarm Fortress" up. You'll fight against three AI players, two attackers and one defender. The attackers have the courtesy to attack one after the other (that's totally not just so because they'd kill each other if they attacked at once, oh no) and don't grind to put early pressure on you (again, not because they can't).

My personal record is surviving one attacker ;/ I suck.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Server is down again :( until I can sort out the problem that it crashes every time it idles. It's not a source problem, rather a problem with the way I build the bugfarm servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: It's about time! Fortress AI

Post by sinewav »

I have questions!

I had luke set up a server with this branch, but I don't really know anything about it. Is there a AI file, like aiplayers.cfg? If so, are there new states in it (attack, defend)?