The Server Pharm

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

The Server Pharm

Post by compguygene »

Testing in my ladle server and my Wild West Practice server have revealed a flaw in either the setup of my VPS or the setup of my binary or config files. So, for the sake of stable ladle servers, I have removed my server from the list on the Wiki and taken it down for now. Once I have a good stable setup, I will gladly reoffer it for use. I just don't want to be give you guys a server that sucks, or force you to make changes last minute.
I am also very busy leading the Wild West team, since Destiny has made Waeryi and I co-leaders of the Fortress Division. So, any further testing and configuration will have to wait until after the ladle as I have been busy training a few new team members, makeing tactics, etc.

Thanks for the opportunity to share a server!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I'm more excited about the growth of your team than disappointed by the loss of your server. Thanks for the update, and see you on the grid. :star:
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Thanks sine, as I am writing and teaching tactics, i.e. the basics, I am trying to create a full basic set to post on the wiki. I really think its sad that there are no basic team tactics posted on the wiki. Its not like the basic tactics are some secret or something, I think nobody has taken the time to document them. So i am documenting these basics in the internal Ww clan forums to start. Then I will use my cad program to create polished graphics and post on the wiki.
My hope has always been to grow fortress!

More American Fortress Players and Teams FTW!
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Surprisingly, the Wiki does have a ton of Fortress tactics, and it's not even hard to find these pages!

Main Page -> Teamplay -> Category:Fortress Tactics

There's at least 3 helpful pages (written in 2006 primarily, so they're a bit old, but useful nonetheless):

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... ss_Tactics

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... cs_defense

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... cs_offense
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Served!

compguygene wrote:Its not like the basic tactics are some secret or something...
compguygene wrote:i am documenting these basics in the internal Ww clan forums
Anyone else see how this is contradictory and doesn't help "grow" Fortress?
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

ok....
I have been to each of those pages on the wiki many times.
I have checked out the playfortress site....
I am not trying to offend the community as a whole....
But show me one picture that details what grinding hard is.... Show me a picture that shows the two styles of sweeping... Show me videos or animated tactis...

I am not trying to denigrate the work that has been done.

In fact, to understand the work that all of you have done, I have gone through the forum posts here and spent hours reading forum posts and config files.

As I prepare my own team to try to beat all of you, I see the necessity to do some of this work to develop new players. As I am sure many of you are aware, the Wild West clan is full of talented non-fortress players.

My thought is simply that I should take the extra time and effort to make my work of a level and qualilty that it is worthy of inclusion on the main Wiki. I know that a lot has been done, but I consider that work to be an awsome start, not a finished work. I was merely wanted to contribute, not wanting to insult those that have put so much hard work and so many forum posts into this thing.

So, in summation, my deepest apologies if anyone was offended by my earlier post. As you can see, I am fully aware of what resources are available for me to use to teach fortress players. My plans are to merely add to those resources by taking the Forum posts that I am making on the Wild West Clan Private Internal Forums and taking the extra time to polish them up and post them on the main wiki to augment the existing team tactic pages.
The existing tactics pages that Durka posted formed the basis for the above mentioned forum posts.
BTW, I like the new fortress server you put up Durka. It looks like just what we need to help build the fortress community.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

What are the two styles of sweeping?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

And why so private? More of the Wild West xenophobia that permeates that place? Why not just draw some pictures and add them to the wiki?
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

no, read the wiki, it refers to two styles of sweeping. I have seen both used, especially by crazy tronners.

Style #1
sweeper goes all the way to back wall and seals with a triple bind back

Style #2

Sweepers encircle the def while def sets up one from the front, one from the back

Not xenophobia. BTW, I aggree with you about that. With their blessing I will be posting all the Ww tourneys on the main competition hub.
I think that you people and them have had some hurt feelings in the past.
I think its silly
I am not trying to offend, really guys.
And the pictures i drew so far suck..i am too ashamed to add them to the wiki.....I want to do something nice for the wiki thats all. Its no secret, I just don't like to post mildly crappy stuff on a wiki. I really aggree with you, wild west has been like a fork in the community for too long. I would like to see Wild West integrate more with the wider tronic community!
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

compguygene wrote:(...) With their blessing I will be posting all the Ww tourneys on the main competition hub. (...)
This would be nice!
I think there was some sumo tournament the other day that I and others heard nothing about :cry:
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Just to give the community at large a little bit more of an explanation of how this got of track. Destiny, who hosts these tournaments, explained to me in our private clan forums what happened originally.
Apparently, when she started to do these tourneys, she did post about them. However, some folks in the larger community really gave her some grief about the whole thing. So she just stopped posting in the main forums etc.
I explained to her that I am just trying to get the Wild West integrated better in the larger Tronic community. That many people have complained to me that they have missed out on tournaments because of our not posting in the main forums or competition hub. So, I made the effort to open up a topic in our internal forums.
Why would I bother to spend all this effort talking about our internal Wild West business here? Because, I feel that some of you have been hurt and or offended by our behavior. Guys, I just want us to all be happy and enjoy these tourneys together...period.
I just want to make a few more things clear to all of you...
I know I am not exactly the best of players...I have a lot to still learn...but I am learning more each day. Most of you are far better players than me.
I am starting The Server Pharm more to host tourneys and loan servers to others, than to put up a bunch of really innovative kewl servers. I want to help build game modes.
Because I am a House Husband, who can't drive for now, Tron is my social life. It's a lot of fun for me :D I hope that its fun for all of you.
So, for me, tron is not just a hobby, but an adventure!
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

madmax wrote:
compguygene wrote:(...) With their blessing I will be posting all the Ww tourneys on the main competition hub. (...)
This would be nice!
I think there was some sumo tournament the other day that I and others heard nothing about :cry:
oops, I must've.. forgotten to give you the heads up ;)

It wasn't really at a good time anyway though for most non-americans, I had to play till 3-4am on a sundaynight.
compguygene wrote:I feel that some of you have been hurt and or offended by our behavior.
Maybe I'm completely oblivious to this kind of stuff, but I don't recall any big arguments between wildwest/armaforums. Although people tend to be a lot more skeptical/critical here, so there could've been some things taken the wrong way.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:Apparently, when she started to do these tourneys, she did post about them.
That's weird, I just searched this forum for these posts, but didn't see anything. I was hoping to read about what caused the Wild West "isolationism", but came up dry. How can we bridge the gap? I guess it's up to you Gene! :)
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Lackadaisical wrote:
madmax wrote:
This would be nice!
oops, I must've.. forgotten to give you the heads up ;)

It wasn't really at a good time anyway though for most non-americans, I had to play till 3-4am on a sundaynight.
Yet you still managed to beat durka, psyko and I in the finals. :)

@comp Aren't there plenty of other sweeping techniques? Not to criticize, just wondering.