unique freeze up observed in wild west ctf server

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

unique freeze up observed in wild west ctf server

Post by compguygene »

on several occasions i have seen players cycles become frozen after they had executed a very long series of very tight double binds. Finally the other night I was playing with ~R~ Hype. He has a def where he forms a very small box around the flag that is built entirely of extremely tight double binds. he can do this until the death zone comes. while he did this, I observed several lag spikes in the server, and eventually his cycle became frozen necessitating him to disconnect and reconnect. He explained that the lag spikes and freezing were normal behavior. From what I have read in other posts, this is explainable behavior on the part of the server.
Since this can be easily reproduced, would you like me to make a recording of this? Or perhaps to arrange for a developer to observe ~R~ Hype doing this? I was thinking that if it would help you developers in any way to figure anything out, I could very easily arrange something.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I know what you are talking about, it is when the server Fails to read a packet from the client. I've seen it a handful of times and once experienced it myself. I don't think it is a tron error, it is just a packet routing error.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: unique freeze up observed in wild west ctf server

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:...would you like me to make a recording of this?
Be sure it's a server side one.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 6&start=45

Z-man, AI Team, pixie and i try to record the bug at Bug Sty Ctf

maybe this file could help you:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-145 ... aarec.html
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Also, the bug entry on launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/armagetronad ... bug/322066

If you can reproduce the bug on Bugfarm Sty CTF, (don't forget to cry BUG) that would be great. After the tests with AI Team and Word, I had my triple bind spambots try a whole night without success. That may of course be because I fixed a possible cause (client commands get ignored sometimes if too many get lost, however I could not get that error to freeze the cycle). I also added a anti-freeze safeguard that should notice the freeze and kill the cycle.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I will talk to ~R~ Hype and see if we can arrange to reproduce it.
-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

Yes, I've done this many times in high rubber servers, mainly when using a corner dig to get out of plugs. But, I just thought that it was because I was in High Rubber. It produces all kinds of bugs :P But yeah, I have done it in any CTF server, not just Ww
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

-=VcL.Rogue wrote:Yes, I've done this many times in high rubber servers, mainly when using a corner dig to get out of plugs. But, I just thought that it was because I was in High Rubber. It produces all kinds of bugs :P
If they're unknown (NOT instakills), please report them. Just because none of the current developers is a high rubber fan does not mean we completely don't care about high rubber specific bugs :)
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

That bug happens to me too, _~R~_Tobe, when i get crazy with my doubles and almost always happens to _~R~_ScareCrow. Others Ive seen bug frequently is _~R~_ Noodles and Obsi, and some other random people too.