Creating a Dedicated Server

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Creating a Dedicated Server

Post by noodles »

Hello all, i am Australian and as some of you might have realized, there aren't any Australian servers out there. I wish to create an Aussie server BUT i have zero experience in setting up a dedicated server.

i have downloaded the dedicated server for mac and have the newest version of tron. if anyone can direct me to a page with codes for rubber, speed, acceleration ect; or a step by step introduction on creating a dedicated server i would greatly appreciate it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

A good starting point is the guide on the wiki.
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

thankyou, im only 16 and i know nothing about programing so i hope this wont be too complex for me =s
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

also looking at this wiki site, can i just ask a straight forward question.

Will i be able to host a dedicated server from my computer without paying anyone.

And do i have any hope at getting this server up and running XD.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

noodles wrote:Will i be able to host a dedicated server from my computer without paying anyone.
Depends. You'll still have to pay your ISP for the internet connection, and probably very much if you don't have a flat fee. But assuming you do have a flat feel, you don't have to play extra for the server. You'll also produce extra cost for the electricity bill if you want to have the server up all of the time. Depending on the price of electricity where you live and your machine (MacBooks and Powerbooks are good, IMacs are in between, MacPros are very bad), that can range between 1$ per month and 20$ per month. If you tell us the data (machine type, electricity cost, intended server uptime), we can give you an estimate, so you can ask whoever pays this bill for permission.

Also, you'll probably need to read the port forwarding sections in the guide on the wiki. They'll tell you how to make your server actually reachable from the internet.
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

k kool. umm no the cost of running it on my computer dont worry me i just dont want to have someone else hosting it for me while i pay them.

i have got terminal running but i have a few problems but im going to bed now XD so will look at it more tomoz.
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

I'll write some cfgs if you want... I seem to do it pretty often...
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

lol, just think of me as a baby, id say most of u guys know alot about tron and programming. im just a teenager whos is angry about searching for servers and only finding games where i have 240 ping or higher, i want to make a server(s) so that other aussies can have low pings.
And i dont know what cfgs is but i would love any help you guys and throw at me.

This is where i am up to so far.
1. i have downloaded the file from this site called armagetron advanced dedicated for mac.
2. i have moved the whole folder onto the desktop
3. i have read most of the wiki page on how to set up a server and i have typed in cd and dragged the whole document into the terminal window. im not good at programming so tell me if i have done somthing wrong or not done somthing such as put a space between cd and the document location.
4. it now has in terminal

cd/users/luke/desktop/armagetron\advanced\dedicated

which is exactly what it has on the wiki page.
i then press enter as it asks and i then get

-bash: cd/users/luke/desktop/armagetron advanced dedicated: no such file or directory

and thats as far as i have gone, can someone please help me.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Hey, it's fine. ;) This support section exists exactly for people who aren't technically included enough to do everything by themselves.

cfgs = .cfg files = Arma's configuration files

Indeed you needed a space after cd. So type "cd ", with space, and without the enclosing ", and drop the folder on the window like you did, then press enter. I'll edit the wiki to make the space more apparent.

Note: in your line everything is lowercase (at the very least Users and Desktop are usually capitalized) and some more spaces (after each \) are lacking. I presume that's how you typed it in your message, rather than how it appeared in the terminal window?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

yes i should have done capitals ect. i will next time, but now that u have helped me i have put the space in and it has

Armagetron Advanced Dedicated Lukes$

now there are a few things i am wanting to ask.

U may or may not know a server out there called Wild West CTF and Swamp Land, well i am hoping to eventually get an aussie version of those up and running and maybe modify them a bit. And also, how can i get started on putting in codes such as cycle_rubber 20 ect. or dont i do those O_o.
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

sorry to keep double posting but im sort of doing this as i go.

i have just typed in

run ./armagetronad-dedicated (with a space next to run)

and i get

-bash: run: command not found

=(
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

LOL i am gumby at this, but i am learning.

i have typed ./armagetronad-dedicated

and its working i think. =D
when i go to tron i can see it in lan games but now im stuck again.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Next, you need to edit the configuration files. There should be a subfolder named "config" containing a couple of those, most notably settings_dedicated.cfg and settings.cfg. Read over them, they contain a fair bit of documentation, too.

Then, create a new file named settings_custom.cfg. If you're using textedit, make sure to save it as a text file. Into that file, you write all the settings you wish to have changed, for example

Code: Select all

CYCLE_RUBBER 20
SERVER_NAME noodles
Then, start the server again, and the settings should be in effect.
noodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by noodles »

do u recommend any programs to use for this, is textedit easy to use?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

TextEdit is really easy to use. :) Just make sure you're editing as plain text. To see if the current document uses plain or rich text, look for Make Plain/Rich Text in the Format menu. If it says Make Plain Text, click that. If it says Make Rich Text, it's already plain text, and you do nothing. And of course, save your settings_custom.cfg in Arma's config subfolder, otherwise Arma won't find it.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn