Magazine Article - FileFront

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Magazine Article - FileFront

Post by Tank Program »

A friend of mine said he saw Armagetron mentioned in a 101 free games article in a magazine. He found the online version here. That by itself is cool. The thing that bothers me a little bit is that their download link is for FileFront here. Somehow it doesn't quite sit well with me. The description was copied whole sale from our About page too. The md5sum does match at least.

To summarize:
  • Banzai for magazine/website mention.
    Poo on them for uploading it to FileFront instead of linking to the SF download.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Why does the re-upload bother you? It saves SF bandwidth and verbatim copies are perfectly allowed according to the GPL (even without providing the source). We lose the download statistic counts, that's all.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

imo: more publicity = more players = good
stakes is high
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

all their games are placed there it seams

it would be better if they linked to armagetronad but googling gets you here
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

As long as they're not trying to pass off a hacked version as their own, or in any other way misrepresenting it, I don't see a problem, and it doesn't look like they're doing that stuff.

If they don't offer the source next to a verbatim copy, it's not a big deal, because the package they're offering is the one we built. So if the source offer isn't in it, it's our own fault. :)

Of course, technically they should say something about the GPL, imo that's one of the weaknesses of GPLv2 (and v3, afaik). Verbatim copies of packages that contain the source offering should have no strings attached, except for the "don't even think about pretending this is your program" string.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

"You can argue all day whether the light cycles or seeing respectable actors strap on Day-Glo neoprene were what made Tron -- but you can't argue with a good tribute game. Unlike the four-player matches in the film, this bad boy pits 16 racers against each other online."

Just because of this quote. I don't like them. xD
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

Plus they put up wank screen shots
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I suppose the re-upload bothers me because most people won't bother to Google. And they stole the About page off the website.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Tank Program wrote:I suppose the re-upload bothers me because most people won't bother to Google. And they stole the About page off the website.
Maybe we should send in some longer text!

the 0.2.8.1 file is marked as:
"Short Description
This version of Armagetron Advanced fixes some security flaws. "
That could be updated to something a tad less generic.

the "uploaded by" field could be set to refer to us.

The armagetron main category ( here ) does mention us and refer to the web site. Once you click on "more detail about this software". Maybe there are fields that can be shown by default when populated that we could well, populate?

That would give us a bit more visibility than something that appears half-filled.

It is our entry, better make the best out of it!

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.