need some help

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
avp DRAGON

need some help

Post by avp DRAGON »

Hey this is my first time posting, here I found out about armagetron from a tech camp I went to and downloaded it once I got home.
I've been trying to mod id to look like halo but it seem that I am missing some files, I only have 3 files in the models folder and they are mpeg files.
and I only have 2 files in my sound folder.
I tried replacing the the cycle sound with the warthog engine sound (which is in wav format) but it sound completely messed up and only sounding like it should at random times.
I would also like to know how to inject a new model with 4 wheels that move.
also I changed the floor texture to a grass texture that I took with my camera,what it should look like is in the picture of the menu I uploaded, but it looks like the other picture, stretch pixels.

any help on these matters would be appreciated
Attachments
1armagetronpic.jpeg
grassmenu.jpeg
avp DRAGON

Post by avp DRAGON »

cmon guys I need some help here
this is how far I've gotten on my own

but this is not how it looks in blender

the wheels don't rotate correctly, instead they orbit.
and the models are in their original forms before I rotated them and scaled them as seen in the blender picture
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

About the floor texture: you need to set the floor rendering in the details menu to "single texture". The dual texture mode is intended for grids only and makes them look crisp even under sharp viewing angles and without anisotropic filtering, and can't work with grass.

The models aren't mp3 files, they're in some custom text format with file extension .mod. It's custom and very limited and I lost the creation program (it's relatively easy, it's just a list of vertex coordinates followed by a list of vertex indices that make up triangles). I haven't seen anyone so far mod them for this reason :? Everyone goes for the "moviepack" style bike format, which is more flexible with the texturing, but can't have animated wheels.

And welcome!
avp DRAGON

Post by avp DRAGON »

well is it possible to have the body be the movie pack thing (no idea what that is) and the wheels remain .mod?
and any idea about whats wrong with the scaling and rotation of the model?
this is the tutorial I followed for the model importing
http://www.addertooth.net/aatools/aatools_tutorial.html
is their any tutorials on the moviepack style?
also I couldn't find the single texture option but I found another that looks just as good as it probably would otherwise.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Blender Tools for Armagetron Advanced. (IIRC.)

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=14911
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Re: need some help

Post by philippeqc »

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Interesting attempt to mod the game to look like Halo! I do not think anybody tried that one before.
avp DRAGON wrote:cmon guys I need some help here
this is how far I've gotten on my own
When posting to a forum, you have to expect a certain delay before receiving an answer. After a few day it accepted to draw attention again to your question if it has not been answered, but under that it will normally be considered rude. ;) For fast communication, I'd suggest you contact us on our IRC channel. You can find more information on our wiki.

In the mean while, I suggest you read the following: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
avp DRAGON wrote:well is it possible to have the body be the movie pack thing (no idea what that is) and the wheels remain .mod?
IIRC, they are exclusive of each other. But I guess changing the code to support a different/better model format shouldn't be that hard if you feel up to it.
avp DRAGON wrote:...I found out about armagetron from a tech camp
Was there somebody that we know there, or have we moved to the curriculum?

Those screnshots sure do look great. Good luck!

-ph

So like, this one time at tech camp, they ask us to do a sorting algorithm and everybody like did it in reverse polish notation, and it was sooo funny. ;)
Canis meus id comedit.
avp DRAGON

Post by avp DRAGON »

no we just played armagetron on 16 player lan on our free time ( it was an overnight camp)
I have now gotten the model scaled and rotated but the wheels are roting incorrectly, they orbit the warthog and rotate instead of just rotating
this is all I'll be doing for the next week, as I will be in chicago with my cousin.
theres a problem with the uv faces, some of them are facing the wrong direction, even though I selected those face to be double sided any idea why this happens?
here are the last pics for a week.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's all because of the limits of the .mod format. It doesn't support double sided triangles, texture coordinates or anything, and the wheel axis locations are hardcoded.