Obsticles??? hills???

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Mecca
Match Winner

Obsticles??? hills???

Post by Mecca »

It would be kinda kewl if there could be like obsticles placed in the course that are like randomly placed (away from players at the start of rounds), if you hit em , you die (just like hitting a wall)

and it would be fun to lpay with a hill or two on the grid, not just little lumps but big steel hills (kinda wierd considering that the grid should be flat)... it would add a whole new dimention to the game, look out for who is on the other side of the hills...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

phil is working 'new areanas' thing that should allow this sort of thing
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Re: Obsticles??? hills???

Post by philippeqc »

Hi mecca

two nice ideas you have here. But to be frank, with my current situation, noting is going to happen fast. Three alternatives offers themselfs to you:

a) wait and pray that I get time to work on AA
b) annoy another coder to do it for you. This has a very low level of succes.
c) pull up your sleeves, start your favorite editor, and put your nose in the code. Fix a little detail, read a bit more, ask a question. Repeat. Lots of repeat. That should make me feel guilty enough that I'm not working on my pet project that I'll move mountains to come back to it. That and lend a hand on this project.
Mecca wrote:It would be kinda kewl if there could be like obsticles placed in the course that are like randomly placed (away from players at the start of rounds), if you hit em , you die (just like hitting a wall)
Yes, randomly appearing obstacles give a new dimension to the game. Having coded a 2d clone of snake/tron in the mid 90's, I can tell you that many university students would sit 4 in front of the same keyboard and play for hours in an arena where circles (the obstacles that I coded where in the shape of circles) appear at an insane rate.

To give a description of the effect:
80% of the circles where red (death, normal wall, about 80% of the population)
10% where green (clear screen, ie: flushes the trace/trail and all circles)
5% where deep blue (teleport yourself at a random position in the arena)
3% where light blue (teleport a random player excluding yourself at a random position in the arena)
2% where purple (teleport all players, excluding yourself, at a random position in the arena)

The arena was 1024x768, the cicles where 1 pixel, the trace where 1 pixel, the circles where between 10 and 20 pixels in radius, came at a rate of 20/second (really fast) anywhere on the arena (except for a radius of lets say 50 pixels over each players...). bikes must have been moving at a rate of 20 pixels per second in this mode.

That glued for hours people that would never get caught playing computer games ;)

Haaaaa, the memories.

Well, enought remenicense, and back to your ideas. So yes, I do agree that obstacles are a great assets for the game. I'm not saying they should be in every server, just that they can add a nice dimension of play.
Mecca wrote: and it would be fun to lpay with a hill or two on the grid, not just little lumps but big steel hills (kinda wierd considering that the grid should be flat)... it would add a whole new dimention to the game, look out for who is on the other side of the hills...
Hopefully, in that "world" mode I've been talking so much about but actually doing so little about, it would be quite easy to make a map describing what you propose. Now if there was only a way to make it sound so cool that you would react a bit like "O wow, really! Someone tough of a way to describe a map that I imagine in my head. And all that is required is to code it! Let me put my hackers hat and start at it!"

So, to recap, they are nice ideas that need some hand to get implemented.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.