New in CVS: voting settings

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

New in CVS: voting settings

Post by Z-Man »

Three new settings have been added to the voting related variables. They are:

VOTING_BIAS: ( default 0 )
acts like a crowd of calm players opposing every change ( so far only every kick ). Use this if you want stronger majorities required to kick someone. MIN_VOTERS should be set higher than this, since every vote with less or equal to VOTING_BIAS voters online gets rejected.
The exact formula:
PRO is the number of voters supporting a change ( the submitter is included )
CON is the number of voters opposing the change
NOT is the number of voters that have not yet cast their vote
A vote gets rejected if CON+VOTING_BIAS >= PRO+NOT ( this is checked first ) and accepted if PRO >= CON+VOTING_BIAS+NOT.

Example: If you set VOTING_BIAS to 1 and there are 5 players online, four of them have to get together to kick the fifth. If only three are in favor of kicking, PRO=3, CON=2 and 2+1 >= 3, so the vote gets rejected.

ALLOW_VOTING_SPECTATOR: ( default 0 )
allows spectators to vote if set to 1. The old behavior was that spectator voting was allowed. Note that only one vote is accepted per IP, so you have to have several pulic IPs at your disposal to vote-cheat even if this is set.

VOTING_PRIVACY: ( default 1 )
determines who gets informed about votes. If
VOTING_PRIVACY >= 2: no reports are given. This is the old behavior.
VOTING_PRIVACY <= 1: the initiator of a vote gets logged to the server console. This feature was requested by many.
VOTING_PRIVACY <= 0: the votes get logged, too.
VOTING_PRIVACY <= -1: the initiator of the vote is made public.
VOTING_PRIVACY <= -2: the votes are made public, too.

The theory here is that by making voting public, you put a higher psychological barrier up for abusers without preventing legitimate use.

SIDE EFFECT: if VOTING_PRIVACY is < 0 and ALLOW_VOTING_SPECTATOR is set to 1, the IPs of spectators who vote are published ( since they have no player name set to identify them by ). Serves them right :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Looks like Hell is going to run a CVS checkout pretty soon. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I might play around with the cvs version a bit myself, Ive heard various accounts of its stability, etc, And I guess the only way to truly test it is to give it a shot.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

BUilt cvs, now the dedicated server isn't starting. :( Could be numerous reasons, but I"m not getting any error messages or anything.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It almost can't be an intermediate version problem, I committed everything at once. Does it just exit immediately or does it enter an endless loop? Any chance for a debug build with CXXFLAGS="-ggdb -DDEBUG" and a backtrace from gdb?
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

I re-built off of cvs to fix the inviso-wall problem I've been having, and it works great for me.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:It almost can't be an intermediate version problem, I committed everything at once. Does it just exit immediately or does it enter an endless loop? Any chance for a debug build with CXXFLAGS="-ggdb -DDEBUG" and a backtrace from gdb?
It runs for a couple of seconds and then exits. I'll see about the debug build, but I can't make any promises right now. (have a lot of stuff to do this weekend and next week)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No worries. If it's a general problem, there will be another involuntary tester reporting it soon enough ( I just love my bastard developer from hell attitude sometimes :twisted: ).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:No worries. If it's a general problem, there will be another involuntary tester reporting it soon enough ( I just love my bastard developer from hell attitude sometimes :twisted: ).
Whack, it's only local. I had a python script in /usr/bin called armagetronad-dedicated that I intentionally put there to override the bash script for starting the server, but I don't use it anymore. Oops. Better delete it...

I'll start up Hell again and we'll see, but I haven't changed any of my regex's to accomodate the new format of messages.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hell is restarted with VOTING_PRIVACY set to -2, so if you initiate a vote, you will be reported to everybody. Also, the votes will be. So everyone go play hell and try it and then come back here and tell us what happened.

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'm not going to hell and back again for you.

I couldn't resist saying that :).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Preliminary testing looks good, I'll ask swampy if he wants to run this on swampland for awhile. How stable is the dedicated server right now, anybody know? Are mine and Lack's the only servers running cvs code right now? (and mine only started today)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

All I can say is that I tried to keep non-bugfixes out of the main trunk recently. ( The voting stuff is an exception since I think it makes voting more "round" and is not a feature by itself ). The parts that can be problematic are the bugfixes against ripping and teleporting, they broke some things on the way. First the issue with holes in walls getting ignored ( nobody noticed that ) and then the anti-teleportation deaths ( reported in the invisible walls thread ). I sure hope things are stable.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

tried your cvs server lucifer and the voting etc. works really well

however it was kind of hard to pick out the text, could you set it to use the admin color?

unrelated:
can one configure specific death messages for death by death-zone? that would be cool (for win by win-zone too)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:All I can say is that I tried to keep non-bugfixes out of the main trunk recently. ( The voting stuff is an exception since I think it makes voting more "round" and is not a feature by itself ). The parts that can be problematic are the bugfixes against ripping and teleporting, they broke some things on the way. First the issue with holes in walls getting ignored ( nobody noticed that ) and then the anti-teleportation deaths ( reported in the invisible walls thread ). I sure hope things are stable.
Well I asked Swampy and he's going to pick up a new system this week and we'll throw whatever cvs delivers to us on it. I would suggest z-man that you go into that particular arena and check it out, there's usually at least 2-3 people in there (I know swampy's planning on experimenting with how many people can play at once too), so you should get a pretty good test-run no matter what time of day. Except swampland does clear out early in the morning (CST, that is), right about when Tigers hits its peak traffic I think. Or at least based on what I've seen, anyway.

- Iron Maiden