Bike/Wall selection Gui

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Bike/Wall selection Gui

Post by Your_mom »

Was wondering if it was possible for someone to make a Gui for changing textures/bike models. Instead of me renaming files/folders Also thought it would be cool if each person could select thier own bike/biketextures/walltextures and have everyone have different looking bikes, i know this has been discussed before but i felt like reposting about it. Also i made a gif from screenshots(i took(insert disney copyright stuff etc)) of the gba tron2.0 killer app lightcycle gui. Hope somebody comments on this, forum seems slow nowadays. Either way it would be a cool thing to have even if backwards compatability is lost :? :|

... hmm well my gif is too large, its a whopping 1.67 mb probly shouldnt have catured at 640x480... if i get around to it i may resize it to 320x240 then try to post it again

Edited: apperently i forgot how easy it is to resize a gif in the gimp, 10 extra seconds of work and viola
Attachments
First row is bikes second is bike color 3rd is wall texture
First row is bikes second is bike color 3rd is wall texture
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I think K was starting to work on some sort of GUI for selecting things... We never really figured out a good way to send data on what model to render tho.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

that would be REALLY cool, different models...
Velocity

I got more stuff

Post by Velocity »

I got more stuff. U could also add stats adjustment. So u can change how powerful the brakes are, ur max speed, and maybe a online shop online where u could buy more parts and models. U could win points when u beat somebody and spend the @ the shop. Or u could have a model creator where u can create ur own models for ur own lightcycles. AND A BETTER COLOR CHOSER!! So u can change the color of the wall and/or the cycle a diffent color. I'm stuck only using stuff like COLOR_R_1 17 all the time to make my cycle Black and wall red..
Yes, I have Dial-up. But I'm getting BroadBand !*Evil Laugh*

BATTLECUBE MOD [--------||] 82%
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Re: I got more stuff

Post by philippeqc »

Velocity wrote:I got more stuff. U could also add stats adjustment. So u can change how powerful the brakes are, ur max speed, and maybe a online shop online where u could buy more parts and models. U could win points when u beat somebody and spend the @ the shop. Or u could have a model creator where u can create ur own models for ur own lightcycles. AND A BETTER COLOR CHOSER!! So u can change the color of the wall and/or the cycle a diffent color. I'm stuck only using stuff like COLOR_R_1 17 all the time to make my cycle Black and wall red..
Haha, using your ladder score to buy some one time options! Like spending 300 ladder points for one niro cap! That would be cool. And balanced. And keep the optional stuff optional. Having to fight for a week, getting good ladder points, and then you get a nitro pop, you use it, its cool, everybody has some fun, but when its gone, its gone, and players of lesser skills dont get the double penalty when meeting skilled players equiped with tons of power ups.

Tank, I see 2 parts. First just have a "model chooser" for the whole game, ie, change all the models, like chaning the folder name. This should be commited soon in the code.

Second, the protocol need to be adapted to carry the information needed to display different models for different players. That is a bit more complex.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

the shop isn't such a good idea: that way u would create a very very very big gap between n00bs and experienced ppl...
the n00bs won't be able 2 buy upgrades but the good ones will...
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Sabarai wrote:the shop isn't such a good idea: that way u would create a very very very big gap between n00bs and experienced ppl...
But if you make it very expensive to buy one time items, it gets balanced. If a good player need to win for a week (ok, just play good for a week) to get a one-time nitro (one time boost), it is quite fair. Ok, for one game, he will get to use his boost for like 5 seconds, maybe he win with it, maybe not, but its fun and not an big disadvantage for the noob, because as the game restart, he is back without the boost.
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

philippeqc wrote:
Sabarai wrote:the shop isn't such a good idea: that way u would create a very very very big gap between n00bs and experienced ppl...
But if you make it very expensive to buy one time items, it gets balanced. If a good player need to win for a week (ok, just play good for a week) to get a one-time nitro (one time boost), it is quite fair. Ok, for one game, he will get to use his boost for like 5 seconds, maybe he win with it, maybe not, but its fun and not an big disadvantage for the noob, because as the game restart, he is back without the boost.
Actually, I think Sab's got it backwards. It's the new guys that *should* be able to buy powerups that would balance their abilities against the more experienced players.

Of course, I think it's just a bad idea, sorry. ;)
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Lucifer wrote:
philippeqc wrote:
Actually, I think Sab's got it backwards. It's the new guys that *should* be able to buy powerups that would balance their abilities against the more experienced players.

Of course, I think it's just a bad idea, sorry. ;)
u mean u get an amount of cash, and it decreases by your experience? that's new...
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

philippeqc wrote:Tank, I see 2 parts. First just have a "model chooser" for the whole game, ie, change all the models, like chaning the folder name. This should be commited soon in the code.

Second, the protocol need to be adapted to carry the information needed to display different models for different players. That is a bit more complex.

-ph
We could possibly just place it in the ePlayer class... eNetPlayer->SetModel("http..."); or something like that. Then the trick is getting to there from the render code.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Tank Program wrote:
philippeqc wrote:Tank, I see 2 parts. First just have a "model chooser" for the whole game, ie, change all the models, like chaning the folder name. This should be commited soon in the code.

-ph
We could possibly just place it in the ePlayer class... eNetPlayer->SetModel("http..."); or something like that. Then the trick is getting to there from the render code.
O my, that is a big first trick ;)

The second trick will be to advertise each players models. I think we will have to soon consider remodeling the protocol to allow for our various pet-projects.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Yeah :(. I'm thinking if the object we render is attached to a gCycle, and the gCycle is attached to the eNetPlayer...
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Tank Program wrote:Yeah :(. I'm thinking if the object we render is attached to a gCycle, and the gCycle is attached to the eNetPlayer...
My nose far from the code... is eNetPlayer the parent of both the "player" and the AI? If not, go to the parent of both. Will save you a trip of going back to the code when all is completed because now that everybody love that, the sys-admin want to set the models for their ai's.

brrrr, shivers at that (the render part).... I'm dreading the moment where I'll be done patching the "structure" part of the 3D world, and I'll have to address the "render" of it.

I dread the eCamera ! Really, I do. ;)

Wondering some more about your problem, during the rendering process, when it find out that it has to put a vehicule somewhere, where does it get the model to use? What is the pointer to that?

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Now I'm lost :S. I'll have to go look at the code again...
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

I still think it would be cool to have a naming convention for folders in the moviepack like moviepack/mod_name/ & /moviepack/bikename/

So that selecting a bike & or a mod could be done from the in-game user gui (with a little re-tooling)

This would also give the ability for players to see the bike you're driving, if they have it installed, even if they arent using it as their bike currently.
(with a little re-tooling)

*edit: oh, I guess thats^ pretty much the same thing Phillippe is talking about.. also,.. since nobodys figgured out .mod yet, perhaps the original bike & its wheels should be .ase & not .mod? someone once told me this wouldnt be that hard to code at all.. z-man what the heck is a .mod? hehe.. how does one go about exporting to .mod?*

blah blah